Hello from Aurora, Ontario

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by OldWhiteBeltGuy, Jan 30, 2006.

1. OldWhiteBeltGuy

OldWhiteBeltGuy Valued Member

I started taking Karate a few months ago and recently earned a yellow belt. I signed up for lessons so that I'd have an activity to do with my 7 year old daughter. My goal is to attend three adult lessons on my own and three family lessons with my daughter each week. I haven't managed to hit every one yet, but I still try.

I'm 34 years old, and I work as a programmer. With no real excercise I was pretty out of shape. My back and knees were always bothering me.

On my second class my chest was so worn out from push-ups (I think I had to do three sets of 10 or something) that I could barely raise my arms after that, and the muscles in my chest went into spasm for a short time.

After only a few months I feel like a new man and I have almost no back trouble. My knees aren't any better yet, but they're no worse either.

On Friday I attended the most difficult class yet. The warm up exercises seemed crazy and I didn't think I'd ever attend another adult class again. I was really hurting Friday night, and started doing searches on recovering from workouts. That's how I found MAP.

Using advice I found in various threads here I did a few things. I went to the beginner class on Saturday to get the blood to the damaged muscles again. I increased my protein intake through diet (tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, sardines), and I picked up some Bromelain supplements. I don't know what combination of the above worked, but I'm ready for class again this morning!

Thanks to everyone here at MAP for giving me the resources to figure this out and get back to class so quickly! :love:

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Welcome to MAP, OWBG :)

Glad to see the site has been some use to you :)

3. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Greetings and welcome to MAP..Pick up some Tigers Balm ( red) it really helps the sore muscles and joints, well for me anyway...Keep us posted on your training..Many of us have been there...

4. OldWhiteBeltGuy

OldWhiteBeltGuy Valued Member

Thanks guys! I haven't tried Tiger Balm, but I sometimes use "Deep Cold Gold" which seems to work pretty well. I think I would have had to have rubbed down my entire body with the stuff on Friday night!

How does the Tiger Balm Red work on knees?

I will keep you posted on progress... I'm working on She Ho Hi right now. I have the sequence memorized, but need to work on the little things. I'm sure the tweaking never ends!

5. TKDragon

TKDragon Valued Member

From one Canuck to another... Welcome to MAP.

Keep going, you will be glad you did.