Hello all: Bagua & Wing Chun

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by kungfucat, May 21, 2003.

1. kungfucat

kungfucat New Member

G'day from Sydney.
    Just like to introduce myself. I've started learning Wing Chun and Bagua ( Pakua) because of it's Internal Arts aspect. I used to do External styles like Taekwando and Karate.

I'm curious if there are people who like me have some experience with Bakua and Wing Chun and are able to offer some objective comaprisons.
    Personally I feel WC is linear, BaGua is circular.
    WC is 50 % Internal,
    Bagua is maybe 90% Internal

WC is mostly punches, kicks and non latching grappling.
    Bagua is Palm Strikes, slashes, kicks, arm locks and throws.
    I would also love to hear from Sydney members and the Schools they come from ....
    cheers,
    trey

2. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Hello Trey
    I live in Sydney and have had experience with 3 different styles of BGZ but mostly just do a combination of BGZ and TC in the morning for my own health. Currently involved heavily in another sport but am always happy to link up with others keen on BGZ.
    Send us a pm if you want to link up.
    Yes am uni student will have holidays soon but will be in Blue mountians or Queensland for most of them.

3. kungfucat

kungfucat New Member

Hello Kat....thanks for the response....really good to hear from someone with same interests. Yeah love to hook up ! May I ask where you study BGZ? There seems to be such a small number of teachers ...
    Trey

4. Kat

Kat Valued Member

OK long history.Originally up in Queensland my Dad learnt form Earle Montigue and I got invloved in tai chi and his stlye of BGZ from Jiang Rong Qiao lineage.
    After that I found Jirong Zhang who also taught Tai Chi and another stlye of BGZ which I never really found out the lineage of but which I bleieve was from Liang Zhen Pu.
    On moving to Sydney I found Keith Brown who teaches EM style and TC and spent some time with William Ho(also JRQ lineage) when he was teaching in the Kou min Dang biulding in China Town
    Then found a gent by the name of Con who taught BGZ from several linneages one of which he said has Tibetian roots.

Anyway,The stuff that works for me is the stuff which I learnt from Jirong (who also I spent the most time with,and I guess respected the most)that and other movement based meditations form my morning routine which helps me considerably in all other parts of my life.

What did I find out,well BGZ has just as many variants as TJQ and they are all very different.But like everything you just got to find what works for you.

5. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

I'm from Sydney as well and have been learning BGZ this year from Keith Brown (EM's style) at Glebe primary school, Glebe Point Road on Tuesday/Thursday from 7:00.

I've only done Taiji/BGZ but have a friend who was into wing chun - it's true it's very direct and linear, while ba gua is more circular. Wing chun is a 'bare bones' type ma, and pretty much external. They're both close distance fighting methods so a lot of the movements look similar.

I'm going to say the usual statement that you can't do a 'half' internal art as it teaches different movement habits. Then again, it's a good idea for everyone to learn internal principles because you learn the benefit of tull body coordination.

6. eagerbeaver

eagerbeaver New Member

hi guys,
    i'm from sydney too and just starting Wing chun. i can tell this is a silly question but what is BGZ? i have been looking do to TC with wing chun as i want to get into breathing training and stress reduction, is it good for this? and are the movements similiar enough not to confuse me with learning wing chun?

7. Jim

Jim New Member

Grrr... Trying to find a Pa'kua teacher in Melbourne is like... well, it's difficult. I got the phone number of a Master Liu in Kew (I think) but I have a little difficulty in ringing someone up as a cold call saying, 'Hi, my name's Jim and I was wanting to speak with Master Liu...'

Sorry, just doesn't work for me. I'm a grown up and using a title between grown ups is just a little too 'odd'.

8. Kat

Kat Valued Member

:D LOL Jim,I think this comes under cultural differences,and perpetuating mysticism.
    Yeah it burns me when people automaticly think I have to address them as Master in a social setting.It also makes me wonder about there mindset if they require a title to achieve/assist their own selfesteem.If hes a Mandarin speaker try Liu XianSheng = Mr Liu

Last edited: Sep 18, 2003
  9. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Tai Chi Chuan is an internal art that becomes external
    Wing Chun is an external art that becomes internal

They compliment one another well :)

I study both for 7 years