Height and "sturdiness"

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JamesR, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Kinda strange to explain.

Basically I am 6ft 5 and 210lbs (15 stone ish) - Due to this height obviously I have a higher centre of gravity.

When I look at shorter stocky type people I always feel they have a much firmer "base" and would be able to knock me over easier? (Not talking proper takedowns or throws, I mean just barging into me rugby style)

Is this true? I have a friend who is only 5ft 7 or so and 12 stone so he's quite stocky, even with my extra weight I feel as though he has a much firmer base than I do with his lower centre of gravity and this is actually a benefit of being shorter?

I am just thinking of a sports car (Mazda MX5 for example) and a van, the higher centre of gravity makes it more likely for the van to flip over under cornering.

Anyone have and views / opinions on this? Are shorter people really more based with better balance?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Pound for pound, short stocky guys have better bases, but lose out on reach. There are advantages and disadvantages of all body types. That being said, in a fight being bigger is preferable (thats why combat sports have weight classes).

3. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

I also feel that when getting struck, I am more like to be pushed back despite the fact I weigh more? Down to balance and like I said being less "based"

Strange

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

posture has a lot to do with it. if you can redirect the impact properly (which is a very timing-dependent function of posture and movement at the exact moment you meet), you can send a guy flying even if he's wider than he's tall, although of course in that respect shorter guys have a natural advantage. but it does not outweight the amount of push kicks, roundhouses and jabs we eat trying to get to the taller guy in the first place.

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Long limbs act as outriggers and make for very difficult-to-deal-with bases IME. Running legs with smith singles, scissors, half-guards, etc work well but it's very difficult to turn a lanky person over on the ground as well as difficult to use trips and distance-dependent takedowns like hipthrows since they've got a longer step available.

6. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Of course this isn't a bodybuilding competition, but at your height you could do a lot worse than getting up to 220-230.

7. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

I intend to, but slowly. I'm not training like a bodybuilder and weights arnt a huge part of my training so it's taking a while but i'm happy :)