heavy bag work

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by JoãoLohanTao, May 20, 2011.

1. JoãoLohanTao

JoãoLohanTao Valued Member

so i have buyed a heavy bag to have at home , i want some help with the work , speed , accuracy , strength , different combinations , good and pratical combinations to pratice until is on muscle memory , if someone as some experience with the heavy bag , please help me on this topics :)

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

jab and cross, lots of roundhouses, maybe some front kicks or side kicks to start with. start slow and build structure, and figure out good angles so you don't end up breaking your wrist by punching it too hard.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

There's a thread or two about bagwork somewhere. Might be worth a search?

4. Osu,

LOL - punch holes through it! :D

Osu!

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

One of the most important things;

Make sure the bag is secured and supported

6. JoãoLohanTao

JoãoLohanTao Valued Member

i do hav searched first but i don't have find anything if you could post the links to the topics here and then the mods could erase this topic if they want to :)

7. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

Don't forget your wraps and gloves :)

8. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

go to class and ask your coach for advice before you start anything at home on your own, last thing you want to do is injure yourself

9. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

I do the Koryu Uchinadi Haishi waza drill as my bag work (Jab, cross, hook, 4 uppers)

10. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

for power i like to do like light jab, light jab power cross, hook, hook upper
    but with your power punches throw them in flow never just throw raw uncontrolled power at the bag like fish of doom said you will break your wrist or worse get a boxers fracture with the kicks roundhouses are good and with those get the technique right first power and speed will come

11. righty

righty Valued Member

Serious question. How do you do the uppercuts on the bag? Wouldn't they just slide up as the angle is wrong on a straight bag.

Rips yes, proper uppercuts maybe not?

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Indeed. Head uppers I skim up the surface of the bag rather than hit it.
    Body uppers obviously go out a little and dig in.
    Righty...how do you define a rip compared to an uppercut. Only other person I've heard use rip was a boxing coach from NZ I trained with at a seminar.

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Jab it till your arm falls off.

Move and jab.

Stand and jab.

Fast jabs.

Powerful jabs.

Double jabs.

Tripe jabs.

Move in and out Jabs

Touch your toe and jab

14. righty

righty Valued Member

Some people use the word uppercut to describe both my definition of uppercut and rip (and I don't think it's incorrect).

An uppercut to me is where the fist it moving from below to a high position. A classic uppercut to the chin is a good example.

In a rip the fist stays more in a horizontal motion and it almost always a body shot and I've heard it called a body rip. But here your elbow and fist stay more around waist/hip height without your shoulder moving too much when you let it fly, so the power really comes from body movement. Because of this you can hammer them into the bag in a way you can't with uppercuts.

I'm no boxer but this is just my understanding.

I've had a search around previously for a more comprehensive heavy bag workout thread but couldn't find any. Can anyone assist? I'm particulary interested in combos to try. I don't know a huge amount and tend to end up getting bored from doing the same thing.

15. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

dunno what rips are but i'd say i do them.

16. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

shoulda been more specific but yes body uppers or rips as you all call them

17. strafer

strafer Valued Member

You'd save time if you posted a vid of you hitting the bag so people could give advice.

18. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

Try roundkicks , jab, and crosses. Try not to be sporadic (for now). Go fairly slow and work on proper technique with power. Later work up speed.

19. joeymmai

joeymmai New Member

I have used a frestanding before, just not the everlast one. I have no problem with the century one, but I found an everlast one for less expensive. I have a small garage, no room to hang a bag, but if I move a car out I can get a good bag work out in.

20. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

This. :)