Heart

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tika, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Tika

Tika New Member

I wrote this as a journal entry because I didnt think it had much relevance to the forum and didnt wanna annoy anyone. But then I thought that it does have to do with MA, because passion for what you do, and pride, and heart, has everything to do with MA, and I saw a lot of that in this game tonight...soo happy....so weed through this synopsis of tonights yankee game if you like...might be a little out of order, but you get the idea.

----------------------Instant Classic? -------------------------------------
    I was lucky enough to watch both of the Yankee perfect games that happend in the late nineties...they were great games. That entire series between the yanks and boston last year, that was incredible, and emotional. But this.... this, a somewhat insignificant game for the yankees, already up 2-0 in a three game series, was one of the most exciting games Ive ever watched.

We started our rookie, Brad Halsey. I believe this was his third start...Against Pedro Martinez, one of the best pitchers in baseball. The kid got himself into a few jams, but her really held his own and pitched pretty well. He may look like a 12 year old, but he has ice in his veins like Andy Pettite. We were up 3 -0 by the 6th inning, thanks to homeruns by Tony Clark (to make it 2-0) and by Jorge Posada (to make it 3-0). After pitching an excellent game, Halsey was taken out in the 6th, and Bosten ended up tieing it 3-3. In the next three innings, there were some incredible defensive plays. We went into extra innings, and this is where the game got special. There was one inning, bases loaded for the red sox, no outs. Alex Rodriguez makes an incredible grab at a ball up the third base line, tags his base for one out and throws a rocket to posada to make the out at home. Now its first and second two outs, and we get out of the inning. Then, in the 11th inning I think, Derek Jeter ran from short stop to foul territory in left field, made an incredible catch and flew into the stands, bashing his face. (Im realllly hopeing he is ok, taken to the hospital for exrays of his cheek). In the bottom of the inning, we had bases loaded with one out. We pinch hit Ruben Sierra and he strikes out.... then the next batter grounded out. In the top of the thirteenth, we had quite an odd lineup in the field from all the fenagling, and only one pitcher left in the bullpen. There was an error right of the bat from third base (We had Sheffield, who hasnt played third base since like 1993 playing there) and that runner ended up scoring, making it 4-3 boston.

Bottom of the 13th, bottom of the lineup. Ruben Sierra gets himself on first base with two outs...Miquel Cairo (one of our two second basmen...not one of our top players) gets up and hits a double straight up the middle, and Ruben Sierra, a HUGE power hitter ran his butt off and scored, tieing the game. Then, we put our last player off our bench to hit for our pitcher (he was going to have to hit because of some odd lineup changes), our backup catcher John Flaherty. Now, if he gets out, we would see the oddest fielding lineup in yankee history.....but no, he gets a pinch hit single to score Cairo and we win 5-4 in the 13th inning to sweep the Red Sox, move to 9 games ahead in the loss column, and pushing boston to only 3 games ahead of Tampa Bay.....

What do I love about this team? The heart. Every player on that team makes it obvious that he loves the game and plays hard. You put a person on this team that doesnt have it and they dont last long. Yankee pride. And to all the boston fans that whine about us buying our teams.... just remember that its was john flaherty and miquel cairo that beat you in the end. We have the heart that they will never have. I was disgusted in the beginning of the game when Pedro Martinez intentionally hit Gary Sheffield. That is just revolting. Sheffield had called for timeout when pedro was ready to pitch and predro didnt like that, so he nailed him with his 96 mph fastball right between the shoulder blades...he is lucky sheff is a gentleman.

Poor Sheff...he is playing through a hurt shoulder, in pain with every swing, and he gets nailed twice in one game. Heart..... its all about heart...God I love that game....

EDIT: Exrays back, Jeter is ok.... he should be ok....whew....thank god...dont wanna loose our captain..

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Yankees SPANKED the Red Sox !!

What a game .... !!

They do play with their heart but also with their soul and with a degree of intelligence on the side.... (as in martial arts need to tie that in here ... both physical & mental)

You'll never see a Yankee wearing 2 coffee cups on their ears and grinning in early celebration as did one of the Red Sox players!

SPANKED!!!!!

3. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

heart is that booster shot that really kicks up your adrenalin and performance overall. if you keep trying, eventually you'll do something great.

4. Tika

Tika New Member

Exactly. Plus heart also has to do with passion and a love of what your doing. I hate seeing people waste incredible talent because they dont have the heart to really go for it...Being great takes hard work, dedication, passion, and the drive to always give it everything you have....