Healthy bugs

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by YODA, Apr 21, 2003.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi MAPers :D

Does anyone take these "Healthy belly bugs" drinks? You know the ones - full of live bacteria.

Actimel?

Yakult?

Experiences? Pros & Cons?

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I took Actimel for while (2 weeks), they taste good. I really didn't notice any difference in me, not sure how its supposed to make you feel, and there not cheap either!

3. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

You can get the same effect by eating yogurt with live cultures.
    It helps to keep your digestive track healthy but I don't think
    it makes a "noticable" difference in the way you feel unless
    you're unhealthy to begin with.

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Well the claims are that the bacterial components help to balance the bacteria that is already present in our intestines. Having a balance of these bacteria is important for intestinal health, and that they may help to protect against some cancers and coronary heart disease. Scientific opinion seems to be moving in this direction, but the concensus seems to be that they are still a bit away from understanding the intricacies of the role that our intestinal bacteria play in health, and our ability to influence their composition with these healthy "belly bug drinks".
    I myself have never tried any of these "drinks" .... not sure if its at all appealing to me.... rather have a beer (that has active yeast in it doesn't it? LOL)

I found this link rather informative .... as the Japanese were the first to supposedly discover such products back in the early 1900's
    http://www.koei-science.com/e-hp/body/history15.html

Last edited: Apr 21, 2003
  5. darlph

darlph New Member

Sounds like a good cleansing is in order. Is this anything like the flushing of the bowels people swear to? Supposedly makes you feel better and your system works better. I don't know.
    Beer usually does it for me though.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've tried them a while ago. I didn't like the taste much, and I've heard since that they are full of sugar. I think Ladyhawk has the right idea, yoghurt sounds better. At the least, its cheaper

7. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I vote for beer too. My wife swears by yoghurt. I have an ulcer. SHe doesn't. Proof enough for me.

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

never heard of them...
    i don 't hav my meal without yoghurt 3 times a day :D
    -TkdWarrior-

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

man i m sooo much against of chemicals :(... i don't like being near with them... i don't go for allopathic doc/medicines...
    i m having enuff pollution day in day out here in Delhi...
    -TkdWarrior-

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

So drinking lots of water isn't always as healthy as its made out to be?