Headstand Meditation

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by pseudo999, May 10, 2004.

1. sakuraphoenix

sakuraphoenix New Member

Inverted meditation has it's origin in Hatha yoga where it is known as sirusana. It is not advised in the early stages before adequate prepatory practice through more beginner poses/asanas and intermediate asana. There are a number of variation to surasana, the physiological benefits are; It counters the gravity induced pull of the abdominal viscera, tissues and organs. It is of benefit to the spoinal nerves and reduces the pressure of the cardiopulminary muscle/heart. It counters the pressure on the valves of the varicose veins. The pituary gland receives more oxygen due to an increase in blood flow to the cerabral region and sexual fitness and health are said to be enhanced. Improved posture and psycho-physical poise is also said to be increased.

2. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I do nearly handstands everyday, but it is for conditioning reasons.

I aim for 3 sets of 2 minites, but I am struggling at 3 sets of 50 seconds.

I can't imagine being able to maditate for any length of time, I thought one of the core conditions was physical comfort? Sure, being out in the cold is one thing, you can sit on the floor for hours on end, handstands are another thing.