Headstand Meditation

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by pseudo999, May 10, 2004.

1. pseudo999

pseudo999 New Member

2. acrawford

acrawford Ki-Ken-Tai no Ichi

Hmmmmmm........ light one up and smoke :cool:

3. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Shaolin monks have been doing that for centuries.

BTW have you heard of the one finger skill?

4. pseudo999

pseudo999 New Member

I've heard of Shaolin monks doing headstand meditation, but I've never seen an actual picture of it, or quite believed it, or understood what it was for (still don't, at that).

The one finger skill... hrmm..... yes, perhaps.

www.taijichinesemedicine.com/interview.htm

mentions Hu Yaozhen defeating Feng Zhiqiang with one finger back in the day. Other than that, no =)

5. gerard

gerard Valued Member

No, it's not that stuff.

Mmm... I'll give you a clue: Monk Hai-Tank. He passed away few years ago but a temple was built on his honour in China. He was the only one in the world to do it. There is another living monk who's able to do an easier version: two-finger skill.

Do a bit of research. If you find nothing I tell you what was the skill about.

6. pseudo999

pseudo999 New Member

I found another martial arts forum that mentioned Monk Hai-Tank and his one finger skill where he breaks stuff or something with his finger. There's supposed to be a documentary about it.

There's also mention of a healing method called the one finger skill.

That's it.

7. gerard

gerard Valued Member

OK. I'll help you. One finger skill is now long gone with Master Hai-Tank (as he passed away in the late 80's), however there is another master who can perform it with three fingers, although a bit bent. Nothing like Hai-Tank's skill though.

Qi's flow in Hai-Tank was so strong that he definitively inspired George Lucas to create the character of Yoda.

Here's the skill:

Hai-Tank was able to stand upside down using only the tip of the index finger while leaning his body against a wall. I have seen the Shao-Lin footage and he didn't bend the finger a single mm. This monk proved that with adequate Qi development humans are able to accomplish amazing feats.

Gan bei, Gerard.

8. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

During meditation(maybe not all forms), the body can't feel pain. I can meditate in the cold and I'll be warm and not feel the below zero weather. The shaolin monks, they probably couldn't feel the pain, but wouldn't the blood rush to their heads? During meditation, the mind blocks out pain, but does the body block out harm that the meditation can cause? Too much blood rush to the head can cause death. :eek:

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  9. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

I finally got my computer to open up the link. That's insane and impressive. Does anyone know where that is tought? I'd like to see a group of people lined in rows and columns doing that. A bunch of up-side-down people. Who would like to just picture that?

10. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Your premise and your conclusion don't seem to have anything linking them?

11. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

Besides my previous question, why don't they fall over? lol

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

High blood pressure? Burst capillaries in your eyes?

Good balance, good core and neck strength.

13. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Personally I think that was a picture took of a guy doing a headstand with his arms folded and then labelled headstand meditation. I doubt that any serious meditators would use headstand meditation it just seems daft!

14. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

If they burst capillaries in their eyes, then why don't they stop! lol

But they can meditate for ours at a time, some guys I know do that. After while, it seems they'd forget to concentrate on ballancing, unless it comes natural and they've trained for it for a long time

15. SamuraiJoe

SamuraiJoe New Member

I've witnessed the two index finger stand about a year ago at Reno. There was a Shaolin show and monks performed. They showed alot of chi stuff. Also amazing yoga. Yoga uses chi I think. I live in CA, San Francisco, next to Daily City. Then on the news last year, Shaolin monks went to Daily City to a high school to perform. The master(I think or w/e you call them) of the monks stuck out his index finger and told this semi huge student to bend it, but he couldn't. He was using his legs, everything, his whole body to push the finger but it didn't bend. Then another student went up to try, still couldn't. Then the two students were interviewed. That was cool. I found a site that teaches chakra techniques. I think it's possible. It even teaches the two index finger stand. This is the site link

And 8 years ago when I was 7, I watched this show on tv where they went to China and Shaolin Temple, they showed a guy lighting a piece of news paper on fire with his hands, from a distance. Then this year a few months ago, in my art class, the teacher showed us a film where they filmed in Indonesia. There was this guy who meditates and uses chi. He's a doctor, the kind where they stick needles in you. Yea, he crumbled a pieced of newspaper and lit it on fire. It was cool. Then where his clinet is, the interviewer was interviewing the doctor. The doctore told him to hold his hand, then when the doctor was using some force motion and then the interviewer got shocked by electricity. Then the filmer which was a women didn't really believe it so she went up to try, but this time, the doctor lift up his shirt and pulled his pants a few centimeters down and told the filmer to touch his don tin(the spot below your abs) and then the doctor used a force motion like he was charging then the filmer got shocked. My dad new a little about chi gun and he taught me a little about it.

If the world weren't so advanced with computers, television, cars, and such, I bet many many people would know how to use chi/chakra. Back in the days poeple trained martial arts everyday for hours. People could use chi gun. And there's this energy which chinese martial artists used when fighting, i dont know the english name, so ill pronounce it in cantonese. "loi lik". Loi means inner, lik means energy. there were People who grew up on the moutains with their sifu, and they probably haven't even seen women while they grew up, so they know very little about the world, and they don't have much to think about so they meditate easier. Clear their mind very easy. If the world wasnt so advanced, people would go further in studying martial arts and discover more of the human probable if the world wasnt so advanced, chakra/chi techniques or powers would've been studied till now and trained. And then we would be able to do even more powerful things with chi. But the world is too complicated now, tv, computers, girls, sex, etc. People won't waste hours just to meditate.

Chi is like a heat. Then you start meditating, you'll create this heat in your don tin(below your abs) and then the heat will move to the other 6 points in your body. But sometimes you might now be able to push through and go to the other point, and if you forcefull try to, then it is very dangerous. You'll "jou fall yup mall"(chinese term). The heat in you spreads throughout your body hitting everything and you'll feel extrememly uncomfortable and you'll die. That's why you must find someone who knows how to use chi to help you. That person will help you gather all the heat and put them back to the point. Chakra/chi is something scientists don't believe because it does not existto them. There is no solid evidence of it because they cut open someone's body and they don't find anything. Chinese, they use needles to heal. They use chi to heal people. They use herb and bitter medicine. Back then I mean. But white people injected shots and did surgeries, and such. Two totally different things. Now, the world uses the western methods. But somethings, only chi can heal you.

Okay, if someone hits you while you relax, it'll hurt alot more than if you flexed your body. That is like using chi gun. When you go to take a shot, the needle would go in you easier if you relax and not apply any energy to that spot. Some chi gun fighters to chi to defend. Like say you throw a punch at my chest, I would do a sudden flex of my body and make it hard and go like "HUH!!" lol, so your punch would do less damage.

Well that's all i hav to say for now, hope you guys understand.

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  16. Malachy

Malachy New Member

I wouldn't touch that one with a twenty foot barge pole.

Someone else wanna step in cos I wouldn't even know where to start.

17. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Yoga headstand

I only dabble a bit in yoga, but I know that Yoga most definitely is supposed to make use of qi. They call it "prana" and the main intersections, such as the dantian are called "chakras." Unfortunately, I think the vast majority of Yoga as practiced today has lost this aspect in favor of just gentle stretching and isometric-ish exercises. One thing I do know however, is that at least some schools of yoga put great emphasis on the headstand, even calling it "the king of asanas" (asanas are yoga exercises somewhat equivalent to moving qigong). Therefore, I'm guessing the headstand probably has some value in the realm of cultivating the qi, but I'm not exactly sure what... It certainly doesn't seem conducive to meditation, but maybe by forcing the body to adapt to the strain of being inverted for long periods (some yoga practitioners are known to maintain the position for hours) might somehow strengthen the qi system. Does anyone know any more about this? Has anyone actually stood on their head for more than an hour? Besides blood rushing to the head, did you notice any particular effects during or after?

18. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

a couple of weeks back, I read that Kostya Tsue the Australian boxer did headstands as part of his training. He was saying that he did it to relax and that it lowered his heart rate. He trains at a complex were athletes from many sports attend also which has a high reputation - so I guess it must do some good.

On the energy thing I guess it would be interesting to try it as a qigong, being upside down drawing ground energy through your crown and vice virca for you feet. .

I see this old korean guy at my gym and he's always doing headstands with pushups too (against wall) & he looks fit as a fiddle. he has a better physique than nearly all the young blokes there, and most everyone else.
    I think I might give it a go, its supposed to strengthen your hair too :)

19. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

<<Personally I think that was a picture took of a guy doing a headstand with his arms folded and then labelled headstand meditation. I doubt that any serious meditators would use headstand meditation it just seems daft!
    >>

Actually its very common in Tantric Hatha Yoga practice to meditate in Shirshasana (Headstand) and perform Mudras internally in that position for 5 min to an 1hour. There are yogis in India who can stay in head stand for Hours!

I used to do 45 min a day on my head while doing specifing energy circulation techniques and to tranmsute semen in to Chi for the spine. Now I do about 10 min a day. Its very rejuvinating and helps develope your higher centers (Chakras) along with stimulating your pituitary & Pineal gland.
    You can see pictures in the gallery section of my website performing a Tantric mudra upside down at :

www.doblesinstitute.com

The tibetans, the chines and the tantrics in India have need using head stand for centuries to develope and refine Chi

Cheers,

santiago dobles

20. FATSAN

FATSAN Valued Member

I've got an old shaolin documentary showing the monk doing the hand stand on one finger - It was amusing because they were all going on about how his qi was at such an advanced level and was the only person in the world who could do it and then about two scenes later the guy was dead! When I saw him doing it I thought it was trick camera work at first because the guy didn't have an ounce of effort showing on his face. Luckily he had passed the skill on to his young disciple who could kind of do it but it looked very painfull for him. Maybe in about 50 years just before he dies, he will be able to do as good a job as his master.