Headbutt in forms.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Smokemare, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

Just a thought here, we have elbows, knees, kicks, punches, strikes, thrusts, cross-cuts.... Nearly everything in our forms...

But no headbutt? Is this true of all styles of forms? If so why do you suppose that is? Headbutt is a valid attacking technique for very close range and essential for a rounded approach to self-defence.

Could it be because it's considered a 'thuggish' technique? Or merely that it is difficult to make look good in the stylised environment of TKD forms?

I think someone should go out there and create a form with headbutt in it, if they don't I might just do it!

2. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

there is headbutts in our kata... goju kata seiunchin is the first one that springs to mind... double grab/break/release, follwed by a good nut :D

3. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

Not sure about that one. We did occasionally train headbutts in my class though, in case we needed to use them. Although, I personally disagree with training headbutts regularly because it creates an artificial brain shake.

4. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

Although, I personally disagree with training headbutts regularly because it creates an artificial brain shake.

mmm brain shakes... Sounds yummy!

5. Smokemare

Hmm, valid point probably, but then again it's a useful technique to have in you repetoire - for it's extreme close range ability. It's not really practical to use for breaking though, it wouldn't be appropriate to use it sparring, so what IS the best way to train headbutt?

6. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

Seriously??? Probably pad work. It'll probably be best to use it only to improve your aim, rather than speed or strength because of unnecessary strain on the neck. However like I said, don't do it too often and take a break after each one to recover.

We just did it in the air slowly to get the motion right.

7. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

trainign headbutts is stupid.
    too much risk for damage to the head.

8. Smokemare

True there is a risk element and you wouldn't want to focus on it too much, but it's a critical technique to know, as it's just about the only technique you can use when you are in the closest of close quarters.

I guess as someone said before, practising the motion slowly, many times to get it right would be the most sensible way of doing it. It's not perfect, but the risk would be minimal and if you ever had to do it you'd have a better chance of pulling it off.

9. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

In Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan there is a form called Ro Hai. Ther is a head butt in this form.

10. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

General Choi kinda outlawed headbutting in the Encyclopedia. Near where it lists the various striking tools, I think he says something about don't headbutt, because it can cause severe damage if you don't hit with the right spot. I agree to a degree, but if it works, it works.