Headaches after every training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Glock 18, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Glock 18

Glock 18 Bang

Hi, guys.

I'm not really sure where to post this, so I figured the newbie forum would be safe. I'll get to the point.

I get tension headaches every time I train, be it boxing or Muay Thai. How do I avoid this? Is it inevitable? I'm concerned about the long term effects of popping painkillers after each training session. :(

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Sure it's tension & not dehydration?

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Moi could very well be right. It maybe dehydration, make sure you drink enough before, during and after training and see if that helps.

If not, are you clenching your jaw a lot whilst training or tense in general?

4. Glock 18

Glock 18 Bang

I'm pretty sure. This happens (albeit to a lesser degree) even when I do consume massive amounts of liquids before, during, and after training. There would be times when I wasn't even sweating that much.

And no, it's not the teeth-clenching. I usually do so during sparring and pads. But hey, maybe I'm unconsciously doing it. Thanks for the replies anyway, guys. I appreciate it. :)

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A problem with hydration was my first thought. I would ask what you are hydrating yourself with, water, sports/energy drinks.

Are you eating correctly through the day? In addition to being hydrated you need to be fuelled for your workouts.

eat as soon as you can after training, this is the time when your body is crying out for nutrients.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100117&highlight=hydration

6. I see you are in The Philippines...
    Could it be heat related?

My son (23 then) had that problem two summers ago during kyokushin class when it was really hot here... Everytime he did push ups, he ended up with a blinding headache, likely due to high pressure couples with excess heat.
    When the temp went down a bit, it was better.

Osu!

7. Glock 18

Glock 18 Bang

Thank you all for the replies. :)

It could very well be the heat, combined with an empty stomach.

I'll give you more details. I apologize for skimping on them earlier. It's been a while since I've trained. I'm going back to training just now. My job has me working from 2pm-11pm, so I figured the morning would be a great time to sneak in some training. Needless to say, my stamina was shot. I could barely survive two rounds on Thai pads. Around 2 months ago, when I was in between jobs and prioritizing my boxing, headaches were already an unwelcome postlude to training.

tl;dr - So it may be the heat, an empty stomach, lack of hydration, and bad stamina. Your replies have been quite enlightening. Thanks so much!

8. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

Had a similar issue, turned out to be a muscle on the back of my head/top of neck was strained from heavy bag work

9. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Does stretching out your neck ease the headache? Usually works for me...

10. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

For me it was rest/recover/ learn a better elbow technique.

11. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I was about if it was pyschological, I know I have (or had) a tendency to tense up due to anxiety.

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

One of my son's used to get those quite a bit as well. It turned out to be regularity issues. Apparently, not cleaning oneself out on a very regular/frequent basis can lead to headaces.

13. Glock 18

Glock 18 Bang

Thanks for your replies, guys. Now, I eat two packs of oat crackers, a banana, and a lot of water before going to the gym, with a lot of water in between rounds. No headaches anymore. It's not a question of tension in my case, but an empty stomach. It's just my lack of common sense, I suppose.

@belltoller, this would also make some sense in my case. I have a bad habit of breaking off training after a few weeks, spending a hiatus ranging from two weeks to a few months, going back to the gym, and starting the whole stupid cycle again. It happened rarely when I was a student and trained much more regularly.

14. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Well...that wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I said 'regularity' issues...but it looks like you've a handle on things, anyroads!

15. Antonius

Antonius Valued Member

Sometimes I get a migraine after Krav Maga. With me its a combination of a strained neck and overheating. Doing some neck excercises before class starts and sticking my head under cold running water seems to prevent it.

Glock18: Good to see you've found the cause of your headaches.

16. marcokane23

marcokane23 Banned Banned

I would see a doctor first and ask him