Head scrape

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by axelb, Sep 10, 2018.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

A few sessions into BJJ, I've had a couple of occasions when my head starts bleeding from rubbing against the gi.

I don't have much hair on my head.

Anyone else have this issue or have ways to deal with it?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Got a bit more info on situations or positions? Most likely it will be gi burn. Same as mat burn/carpet burn. You can get it from incorrect technique or head placement.

3. axelb

last week it seemed to happen from attempted escape when they had me in back mount. I turtled up, attempted to roll out, and after realised.

This week i think it happened when I pulled out of an attempted triangle.

It stops quickly enough but it's annoying and I don't want to be bloodying up partners gi's.

Probably need to work on my technique more :D wasn't sure if it was something that just happened for baldies.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Random bleeding is always an issue. I'm always finding "what happened there?" blood spots on my white gi. Or random "how did I do that?" bruises all over.

Prolonged contact, plus gi burn, plus mat burn, plus sparring and other people falling on you = good old sweaty fun.

axelb likes this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

I think there will be no immediate solution to this. Personally if I go hard the back of my ears bleed. There's nothing I can do about it except apply cream and keep on truckin'

axelb likes this.
  6. axelb

I used tissues until the bleeding stopped, seemed fine after, I think I was being more cautious where my head went.

What sort of cream do you use?

Its mostly just annoying to sit out of mat time whilst it's bleeding. At least my gi looks weathered now o_O:D

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ew! No wonder BJJ mats are such a disease risk.

A moisturising regime could help. Studies have shown that twice daily moisturising reduces skin tears and abrasions in the elderly (not saying you're elderly! :) ).

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Sudocrem. Heals you like wolverine. Moisturizer doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

axelb likes this.
  9. axelb

my head has felt drier/itchier recently (probably all the sun!) so I think that daily moisturizing would help thanks :)
    I have a ton of sudocrem around which was for when the kids were younger, so it looks like I'll be putting that to use.

10. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Not really had that problem, but do get mat burn every now and then

Be sure to cover up any cuts and use antiseptics - staph is a pain

axelb likes this.
  11. axelb

Well the combination of daily head moisturising and being more aware position meant no bleeding today

David Harrison likes this.
  12. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I don't have that particular issue, but I have psoriasis which results in really thin skin (often exceptionally dry as well) in a few places, especially on the elbows. I would wear elbow guard things (cloth) which work ok until I get sweaty. Then any impact that drags at all on the mat just drags the guard's cloth along the elbow and usually results in bleeding.
    Same when throwing elbows against pads/bags; if I'm having a flair-up, I'll wear guards, but they only help until they get soaked in sweat, at which point they catch & drag on impacts. (Though they also help keep the blood from getting everywhere.)

Basically I keep some gauze, bandaids, and athletic tape around. Usually a bandaid secured with athletic tape is fine. If it is more than minor bleeding I'll use gauze & tape.
    Not sure how helpful that would be with head bleeds though.

axelb likes this.
  13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I used to get gi burn on the back corner of my shoulders for some reason. I did the same thing as when I get hot spots on my feet from running, petroleum jelly beforehand.

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

I have some beeswax/olive oil that I use for my acne/dry skin my my face, I used this a few times on my head before and it seems to help :) no scrapes so far.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i don't get bleeding, but i do get gi burn quite a bit on my head. i'm also quite light with hair on the forehead and up top.

you could try wearing a light head cap? kind of like what american football, ice hockey players, and cyclists wear under their helmets. not sure moisturizing is going to do anything for you if someone is trying to north-south you and their gi rubs hard against your head.

good luck.

axelb likes this.
  16. axelb

Probably should update this, I haven't had it much at all since.
    Things that seemed to help;

Regular moisturizer on my scalp.
    I cut my hair one grade longer.
    Technique is better, so I am not "muscling" my head out of a bad position. (Also why my ears don't get as sore).