Hawaii five o

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by maressa, Dec 20, 2014.

1. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

What kind of martial arts training do Grace Park and the other cast members have? With those leaping and flying kicks I'm assuming she knows TKD or tang so doo. www.youtube.com/watch?v=lArDUFmfN5w

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

She knows the style of stepping off camera, so that her stunt double (Tamiko Brownlee) could step in, to take care of the more physically intense stuff...

Below is a link to Tamiko's Demo reel, in which, you may notice are a few of "Kono's" scenes, from the link you posted above.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f92PN50PQCo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f92PN50PQCo[/ame]

Kind Regards,

Travess

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm intending to employ a sparring double soon :D

Mitch

4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

And there was me, thinking it was Hollywood-do :(
    Does it count as a variation from that?

5. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

I suppose it does. Guess I was a fool to think it was really her doing her scenes. Of course there are real martial artists in Hollywood.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I can't be sure, but I think even if it's the actors themselves who are doing those scenes, it's mostly not exactly the style that they might practice, but more what will look cool on the screen.
    Something where choreographer are more important then a certain style.
    Not saying that it always the case (without having any experience in Eskrima, what Forrest Whitaker did in the Criminal Minds spin-off at least actually seem to look it), but I guess in most at least.

But as I said: I wouldn't actually know that.
    It's more what I expect is what's going on ^^

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I thought Rab C Nesbit had retired?

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

He's working again specially for me; after all doubles are there to look better than us.

Mitch

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It could well have been him. Whitaker did some eskrima training in preparation for his role in "Ghost Dog."

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm pretty sure that it really was him fighting in these scenes, because you could pretty much see it and it was "only" some sparring with his colleagues.

What I mostly meant there, was that what he did looked like it really could be Eskrima :)
    (Those scenes actually made me google, if he were doing some MA. The scenes looked nice enough but not over the top)

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I think he actually trains/trained eskrima...he didn't just prepare for the role.

According to wiki (which means we have to totally ignore it of course):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrima_in_popular_culture

"In the 2010 movie Repo Men, Forest Whitaker (a long time Kali student under Dan Inosanto) and Jude Law used Kali for the vicious fight scenes with Jeff Imada as fight choreographer.[7]"

There's a few other sources that say he trains FMA, but I am too lazy to post them. EDIT: I'll post this one after all:

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net...-Whitaker-shows-off-Pinoy-martial-arts-skills

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

TV Fu, a related art to Movie Fu and Wire Fu.

13. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Yes the actors do what the choreographer lays out for them but when a show hires actors with a martial arts back ground and want's them to do as much as possible themselves it's always benificial to choreograph their moves with in the style that they know.

I don't know much about 5-0 behind the scenes or if Grace Park specifically has any training but I was talking with Katarina Law at Rhode Island comic con a short while ago. She has a black belt in tae kwon do and she and most of the cast do almost all their fights and stunts on Arrow. They only use stunt doubles for really elaborate stunts.