Having Your Ego Cut Down

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Acekicken, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

We all want to belive we are on the rite path
    to becoming the greatist Fighter in the world or at least
    in our own minds.

Yesterday A friend & I were Training Submission Wrestling & Kickboxing
    We always have Good Hard Sesions.

While We have Kickboxed each other in the past
    We Never Boxed until Yesterday.

I felt like it would be pretty even since Everything else
    we do is. I found out quick that his Hight advantage
    And Long Reach Allowed him to Throw Shots & move in & out Fast.

I got him with a few good shot But he nocked me on
    my ass twice. I felt like as good as I gave I got 10 times back.

My Ego was cut down & im looking forward to Wed When we
    Throw down again...... I hope I do better :bang:

How many others have had there ego cut down
    Be honest

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Every boxing & jujitsu lesson is a reality check for me. Some of the boxers at the club i go to are seriously good, and give me a beating.

3. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Well I'm pretty much used to losing because everyone I train with has a pretty good advantage in size and strength. I guess last weekend when I did some submission grappling I got kind of frustrated. I grappled with someone who had never done sub grappling, BJJ, or anything else before (he did train for a while in other stuff, but only for a couple months). The first match I had with him I did pretty well, getting back mount and sinking in a rear naked choke. The second match, I was defensive the whole time. He realized he needed to protect his neck more, so I couldn't get any on him (I usually have to rely on rear naked chokes, guillotines, etc since I'm smaller, so when people defend their necks more I have a lot of trouble). He ended up getting the mount and doing a forearm choke (putting his forearm across my throat and pressing down).

That made me kind of mad because he is smaller and not as skilled as my main training partner (my uncle) and I usually put up a better fight against my uncle.

4. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I'm new to MMA and I've been twisted into a pretzel several times by a 13 year old who I out-weight by an easy 90 lbs. :eek:

He's been "training" me to not give-up my back like I learned WAY-BACK-When in Jr. High and High school wrestling. :D

5. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Yesterday one of the new bouncers at my club came over to train. He is a big guy, (6'3", 320 pounds) and knows a little BJJ. We started out from the knees, because he had never sparred from standing.

He was like a human brick. I couldn't move him, and was very much overpowered. I couldn't close my guard around his girth. When he settled into sidemount, I couldn't move. I couldn't get hipspace, couldn't get to guard, nothing. I have sparred heavy guys before, but this kid knew exactly how to use his weight. The only sub he knew from there was americana, but I sure wasn't going to let him take it.

After ten minutes of him laying on top of me, he asked me to box. I outclassed him there, but I have to figure this guy's ground game out.

My plan is to do a lot of hard sparring and cardio with him, to cut some of his butter off.:D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  6. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Welcome to my world!;) I don't need my ego cut down to size...I go in knowing I am going to get squished and only hope to improve a little each time.

7. Trent Tiemeyer

I'm just a little too used to being the bigger guy.

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

320 pounds :eek: I'd get crushed grappling someone like that lol. Thats one hell of a weight!

9. johndoch

johndoch upurs

:eek: 320 pounds man I would nt be able to breathe if he had sidemount on me :cry:

So what weight are you? 1one

10. Trent Tiemeyer

I weigh 245 now. Last month, I was 265.

*cuts more weight as I type*

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Instructing in a University setting is always challenging... especially with people from other styles coming in often, you really get a chance to grow... as long as you keep your ego down and your eyes open. Here's a few:

-ATA TKD guy has been with us for a while now, when he first came in he was lanky and wearing one of the most garish uniforms I'd ever seen. But he has some fine hand work and blistering kicks... took all I had to keep up with him (so now I have him teach various drills and such, especially for hands)

- Wrestler came in the other day with 10 years of experience... he was slipping out of everything and countering really well. I kept my ego in place and had him show me what he was doing so next time I'll be ready.

- I always get hit sparring "no contact" with the new students... I guess it helps their confidence!

12. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

My ego was cut down all the time my first 3 years of training. It rarelly (if never) happens now. Thats a sign i should move to another club, and i descited to do that.

I'm kind of depressed today cause i haven't trained for 4 months and people on the new club have no idea about when they're gonna start the classes. :(

13. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

The first time I went to a boxing gym, I was still a "pure" karateka. So, I figured with all my speed training, I could at least hold my own. I step into the ring, they give me a rookie who's only been there 2 months. He completely took me to school. I couldn't touch him. He was bobbing, he was weaving, he was winding up with one hand and tapping me on my head. I got my ass kicked, to put it gently, and my ego dropped a few notches south. The good thing is, I later started to cross train in boxing, and got revenge on that punk. :D

14. Sever

Sever Valued Member

My first muay thai class was certainly an experience.
    I'd been training in jiyu ryu karate (a contact style where we'd worked a lot on footwork) for nine years, had got my black belt then quit because I wanted something more hardcore, so I joined the local muay thai club.
    So there I am, seventeen years old, just got my black belt, a little full of myself, certainly convinced I can handle this, doing pretty well with the pad work etc. At the end of the class, we did some sparring. All lesson, the assistant instructor had been showing me how to check the low roundhouse (we didn't really do that in karate), only that all went out the window when I stepped in the ring. Like I said, I was convinced I could handle this. I'm sparring a guy a lot smaller than me, so I'm really cocky by now. I get a few front kicks off, whack him with a nice left hook, then BAM! That low roundhouse connects and I drop like a sack of potatoes with the deadest leg of my life. Every class after that, I remembered to check the kick

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I too lost some weight over the summer :( Now ive gotta try and gain it again! bah :(

I'm far from 245 tho! :) I could only wish i were that weight.

16. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

lol I get owned by a black belt judo girl at wrestling whom I outweight by 15 kilos.:(

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I had that same problem :D But i'd been doing Kung Fu and not Karate.

18. tl Eric

tl Eric I think I'll have a Tab

Yeah for sure! first time I played push hands with a great tai chi practitioner, my style is very yang and he coudlnt move me much if at all but then when he wanted he just wasnt there and I was pushing nothing, then all of a sudden a gentle nudge and I was like "where the hell did that come from?" Gettin better though, its awesome for close contact sensivity and fun as well

19. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Also my world. :)

I concentrate on building up my ego, by saying things to myself like,"well, I managed to keep him in my guard and tire him out for a while before he subbed me for the 734th time". ;)

20. johndoch

johndoch upurs

LOL I wish could drop weight that quick.