Have you had to use your skills to defend yourself?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by watto86, Nov 7, 2005.

?

Have you ever had to use your skills to defend yoursef or in a street fight?

1. Yes

57.5%
  2. No

42.5%
  1. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

Have you?
    I've seen threads like this around the forum. But the ones I saw were pertaining to particular styles. This is meant as a non-discriminate poll. So doesn't matter what style you practice. Just if you've ever had to use your skills to defend yourself or not. If so, yes or no and provide details if you so wish.

Me personally, i've never had had to fight outside of regular sparring where we got carried away. But then i've always been lucky in that for some reason I don't get attacked, and not many people want to fight me cos I get along easily with most people I meet.

2. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

I've had to use mine to stop my pint getting spilled.

:D

No really I did!

3. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Well once my mate pointed an air pistol at me, so I disarmed him of it and shot him in the leg

4. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

I used situation awareness to avoid fights several times.

5. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom New Member

Well one time right before a scheduled kickboxing match someone who had too much to drink was telling me how he could take me and was saying how kickboxing and boxing was one thing but "streetfighting" was something else all together. After listening to him and just basically trying to ignore him he finally stooped to insult and I said "lets go outside"
    He never tried that again. :D

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

I use to be in a kind of 'gang' if you could call it that. This was years ago when I was in highschool. Certainly had my fair share of fights and I always used my 'skills' in them. Never really did anything special in the fights but having training certainly helped.

*note* No I'm not proud of having had a lot of street fights.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yup, my son and I both used it to take down a mugger and hold him till he was arrested....

8. gimgamgommetje

gimgamgommetje Valued Member

I work full time as an event security guard and occasionally i have to help a person to remove himself from the place.
    It's usually not a real streetfight because it's more about grabbing , locking the arm or wrist and throw the person out or just keep him down till the police comes to get him. Still you have to know how to lock an arm or wrist.

there were also some occasions, especially with soccer matches here in the Netherlands where things got more serious concerning my own safety as well as the safety of my colleages. It gets pretty stressy if there are large numbers of people involved.
    Still in this case the aggression is not always aimed directly at us. Though that can easily change.
    I had to really fight only a couple of times. Mostly it's possible to de-escalate the situation or just grab the guy with a couple of colleages and throw him out.

9. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

I was attacked by an Iraqi with a homemade shank in Kirkuk. He approached us and spoke to us in a friendly manner before he attacked. I think he was just trying to get close enough to use his weapon without us shooting him. He tried the overhand, icepick style stab and I reacted exactly as I had been taught in Krav Maga, by blocking and simultaneously striking the guy in the nose. He went over backwards and dropped the knife. My partner stepped on it and covered him while I flex-cuffed him. Then it finally sunk in what had happened and I started puking right there in the street. The lesson I walked away with was that proper training will save your life; improper training will get you killed. You won't have time for thought; just trained reactions.

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Glad to hear the pint was unspilled. Sounds like a very emotional inccident :cry:

Flatulence is something you wouldn't be proud of, thus not post about it on a forum! ;)

:D

12. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

It was especially as it was a rather big guy, with his mate looking on, trying to do the spilling ;)

13. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

Alansmurf, I loved the video. It's a great example of what not to do as a cop. Those three cops should be de-certified, face disciplinary action, and maybe even fired. Regradless of what that guy did, the cop that did the talking is completely responsible for that fight. He verbally and physically escalated the situation for no reason. Then, he peppersprayed himself and another officer while trying to spray the "bad" guy. Who uses spray in a confined area like that? What an idiot. Finally, all three of the cops failed to control the subject at contact. Even swinging like a madman, there were multiple opportunities to tie-up the subject so the other officers could lock on to each arm and take him down. Totally Keystone Cops. That was a level of unprofessionalism that embarrasses me as a fellow member of the law enforcement community.

14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

couple of times. Although I wouldnt call them serious attacks by people who knew what they were doing- I dont really train in martial arts for self defense

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I couldn't agree with you more. There were so many mistakes in that video is would be laughable if it weren't for the fact that someone could end up seriously injured.

The cop who sprays the pepper spray in a closed environment and basically into the direction of his fellow officers may want to rethink that. :D

It's like the text book what not to do when dealing with someone like that.

16. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

luckly no, i must look either really menacing or really cute coz no one starts on me

17. AciDRaiN

AciDRaiN Valued Member

Many times I have used my skills in street fights. At 16 I got jumped by 4 dudes. 3 ended up in the hospital for minor broken bones, noses, jaws, ribes, and one of their knees. The last guy ran away.

At 21 when going to bars a lot I had a guy attack me with a broken bottle. Completely unprovoked. He cut my arms a little before I could catch my balance from backing away from the initial strike but after I got my balance he won a trip to the local ER where he suffered a broken jaw, nose, 3 missing teeth, 3 ribs broken and a broken arm.

I have probley used my skills on the streets over a dozen times with most of the time very little injury to myself and a lot to the other guy/guys. Been jumped 3 times in my life and each time have walked away when they did not. Without my training I might have been killed at some point in my life.

And no I do not go out looking for trouble, I just don't back down when trouble finds me.

AciDRaiN

18. fthl

fthl www.jitsu.me

I think I'd have moved by now. :)

19. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Do you give them a full physical after the fight :confused: :D

20. gogz

gogz Crom!

lol

I remember once when I was pretty much drunk in a nightclub. I was sitting with friends then this guy (not in our group) started pushing my head, he done it the first time but I thought he was just joking so I laughed it off, he done it again then I thought he must have known me, I had a good look at him seeing if I recalled his face from anywere but I didn't, then he tried to do it again - although he put his hand on my head I thought enough was enough, before he could draw his hand back I pushed/blocked it away then he grabbed my top with one hand, so I punched him with a left to his jaw lol. all of a sudden some bouncer was grabbing my arms trying to put them up over my shoulders and I was resisting pulling them back to my side just staring at the guy I just punched lol. then I got chucked out by 2 bouncers :D

gogz

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005