have you ever

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mai tai, Sep 30, 2007.

1. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i know a ton of guys who have studied traditional ma fo years ....they come to our gym.(ussally get beat bad)....and switch over to "the dark side"

does anyone know, or are a person who started as a mma/mt/bjj/ guy and swiched to traditional.

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I don't know anyone who's made the switch in either direction.

3. flammee

flammee Valued Member

Does judo count as mma/mt/bjj group related art? Anyway, I did it for a year. Moved on to tkd, now training Taido. I have also done very little kickboxing, bjj and muay thai.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Yes, I've known a few people who've moved away from MMA for various reasons.

Is this going to break down into another of those 'MMA is so much better' threads? Because if you really want that sort of argument there's plenty of old threads out there to keep you going for a good long time.

I'm just guessing it might from your obvious scorn, after all, TMA practitioners 'ussally get beat bad'. You might want to make a better attempt next time.

5. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

its not scorn. i was one of the people that came into the gym and got worked..its why i keep comming. and im sorry if it seems like i have anything against the tma who come to our gym...i dont

and if i come across as a bit of a jerk for saying they "got beat bad"

i would be a LAIR if i said they held their own.

so if stating something true is derogitor....im sorry

i am curious what are the reasons they left mma.

6. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

could you explain why?....this is a fact finding mission

7. bonita

bonita Valued Member

i switched from a mma to a "traditional art" i still do some work with the mma, but felt i should have a traditional art "under my belt" i believe its a respect thing and should show it to the arts.

i personally think this is something i'll be doing for the rest of my life so am not caught up in us vs. them and you can learn a lot from both sides. i will say it hasn't been easy for me to switch to a more traditional style, but i'm enjoying it and will continue

8. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

A couple of guys from BJJ came down to my old Japanese JuJutsu school. They did great on the ground, but got killed in Vale Tudo. They stayed and cross trained with us for years. I don't know if this counts.

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Bear in mind that MMA has only really been available on any kind of large scale for the past 5 years or so. So absolutely anyone who had an interest in combat sports before that time would have likely taken up something else and then, if MMA was their bag, moved on when it became available. In contrast, if taekwondo/karate/judo/jiujustsu etc was someone's cup of tea, people could step straight in to those arts from day one, hence people wouldn't have the option of starting MMA then deciding to switch to TMA.

Also, TMAs (horrible term that it is) tend to have active children's programmes so are available to kids from an earlier age than MMA. Kids who want to learn MA are likely to only be able to start with a TMA then make the switch, if they want to, later on. The converse isn't a possibility.

10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I've just had a chap join my club from vale tudo if that counts.
    Personaly i'd like to move away from the tma and mma badges , it just boils down to training methodologies , "traditional" martial arts like karate or tkd trained with "aliveness" are as useful as mma training imo , the problem is that over the years alot of poor teaching has been passed on , no contact kumite (if at all) , unrealistic bunkai etc.
    Thankfully there's now movement towards more realistic training again and people are more switched on about what's good and bad , i believe that presently all martial arts are in a state of change , and when this ends (i have'nt got a clue when this will be :p ) , tma and mma won't exist anymore it will just be martial arts again.

11. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Ive known just one, a girl who i used to train with went to do shotokan.

She liked it as it was more arty, and she said she didnt like the fact that mostly all we did was sparr in kickboxing.

Each to their own. ;)

12. flammee

flammee Valued Member

My biggest loves in martial arts are sparring and kicking, especially those bit harder kicks. So, moving on to tkd from judo was quite natural particularly because I hadn't learned almost anything, that I could use, in judo. In other words, I sucked in it. Taido is all about those "advanced" techniques and we do sparring enough, and most of our training is somehow related to sparring. In tkd only sparring classes were about sparring, other classes had very little to do with sparring, it was kinda like practicing multiple arts..

Like I said, I have practiced KB, MT and BJJ very little, which means just a class or two. In muay thai and kickboxing it's mostly using roundhouses and front kicks, along with punches. Not my thing. Bjj is ok, but I need to practice kicking. Like an eagle needs to fly. :D

BTW, when I started Taido, everyone there could beat me in Taido sparring. :p

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  13. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I started as a trad, switched to MMA and then went back over the border. I'm staying here because, surprisingly, I have more freedom to work on odd stuff.

14. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

ahhm started from baji kung fu to hapkido and next year I plan to move to MT/BJJ

yes I know, I've been converted

15. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I think everyone is overlooking the most important thing in this thread - BUNS HAS RETURNED!?!?!?!?

Em

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I went from TMA -> Vale Tudo -> TMA (again) -> TMA/MMA.

Mainly due to class availability since I work shifts (nights and days) which messes up my training times.

17. I know a guy who left Muay Thai and in time became a WTF TKD master.

He was however, brain damaged.

And no thats really not a joke.

18. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

My instructor started off as a boxer and wrestler but moved onto kung fu. One of my class mates did Muay Thai before joining us.

19. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

hey Mai Tai your gym anywhere here in NZ?

20. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

if nz is new zealand....im in us