have you ever noticed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anjelica, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

Watching TV in high def, sometimes I cant help but notice how much makeup the actresses are wearing. Their faces are caked with it. I don't know why a woman would wear that much unless shes really old or disfigured. Ever noticed that and wondered why?

axelb and Vince Millett like this.
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Actors sweat and make up can control the negative effects, as it's heavy and hides the faults.

Remember high definition is unforgiving.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Often it's because the makeup was applied for non HD broadcast, so it's going to be applied more heavily by the professional make up artists, on both men and women.

You'd be surprised at how poor everyone looks on 4K TV.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

It's so their faces don't have glare spots under the bright lights, and, in the case of an audience, so they look normal from the back row. Men are wearing make-up, too, for the same reasons.

axelb, SWC Sifu Ben and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I worked in film for a bit. Yes loads of make up for men and women. Theres make up tests before shooting as well based on character (would she wear this kind of colour? Would this man have decent eyebrows, skin texture etc etc) so it goes quite deep.

Also each crew for each film is different, because nearly everyone on a film set are nearly individual contractors. (Altho certain people have "go to" crews).

On the flip side, extras (or background artists for the politically correct) dont get make up unless necessary for the production.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Watched a UFC promo thing the other day and they were airbrushing make-up onto the fighters. It happens to everyone in front of a camera.

Also don't forget that actresses will have their appearance pulled apart by the media and those horrible self-hating gossip mags, that seem to veer from calling a woman "too fat" or "too skinny" on a whim, will seize on anything they can criticise.
    If a woman has spots one month they'll print "eeuurggh look at her spots!" and then the next month print about that actresses "brave struggle with acne".

Mushroom and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Dead_pool

At least partially its because of overly judgmental women......

axelb, Lily, Hannibal and 3 others like this.
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Seriously? They have to have a PC term for extras now? I swear for every new PC term I hear I'm going to invent an anti-PC term. The folks in the background are now the "unworthies."

axelb likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

The Fuzz are often called police officers nowadays..... Even the female or ethnic ones...... What's your unPC name for them?

axelb likes this.
  11. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

There are already plenty, mostly related to bacon and donuts.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Well it depends on who you speak to, I never minded being called an Extra and call outs still say "We need Extras. Call this number: etc etc" but formally (i guess is the word I really shouldve used) is Background Artists.
    Altho some people do get their back up on the term 'Extra'. So it just depends.

Ego is heavy in that World tho, I thought I had thick skin before but when I got in there...thicker skin developed :p:D