Has anyone invented a new technique?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kobudo, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

I'm curious, can anyone give an example of a technique or philosophy that they themselves have invented, created, watever you want to call it?

I personally don't think I've seen anything new ever. I've seen things that are new to me, but not new in the bigger picture.

In fact, even when I've been training and have adhoc'd something I like, when you break it down all of the compnents are held in traditional arts somewhere.

I'm throwing the guntlett out there, can anyone give an example of anything they've come up with.

If someone can, can other people confirm that they haven't come across it somewhere else?

I'll put my normal proviso, please don't flame, I think this could be a good conversation if people feel comfortable to come forward

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

There are no new techniques.

3. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

I've invented a few actually. Only to discover later on that they already existed.

4. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Isn't that statement a little too absolute?

As I said before, I haven't seen anything new myself, but to say there are none full stop is a bit too full on for me. I couldn't imagine to know what someone may come up with in the future, or have come up with that I haven't seen.

Kind of like saying, we are definitely alone in the universe.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Meh. I think it's going to come down to what you regard as a new technique. I'm going to make the assumption that Simon is coming from a similar view to me, as we both came up in eskrima, which tends to talk more about broad concepts than precise details.

So would an outside parry with my right foot forward be a different technique than if I'd done it with my left foot forward? If I'd used the butt of my stick rather than the "blade" of my stick? If I'd checked the opponent's hand afterward or simply launched my counter without checking?

To me, I'd say no. But others might feel differently.

From that perspective, the criteria for something being a "new technique" is really pretty high. It would have to be something conceptually and mechanically unique. And I'm having a hard time imagining anything like that.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Well since I invented the Universe, I guess I must take credit for inventing ALL martial arts - no money required, just a few sacrificial virgins (Pretty ones only please).

(Yes it HAS been a long week).

8. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

I inveted the internet

9. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

You are SOOOO going to pay for doing something as naughty as that...

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There are plenty of techniques in BJJ named after people.
    However even those tend to be because the person in question took an obscure or niche position and worked it until they became known for it.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's precisely the origin of "ap Oweyn's ineffectual guard"

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

13. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Only in Canada eh ;' )

LFD

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

no match for fish of doom's hairy rolls...

...that sounded wrong...

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

yes, yes it did :)

16. Rider

Rider Everybody loves cakes! :D

I would dis agree

people now are different to people 200 years ago...and in a few generations time things will be very different i believe...people for instance...new weapons are invented...

and to use them, new techniques are made...also techniques to counter the weapon itself

to add people might be fighting alot different too...we never know what future holds...for instance...jeet kune do constantly as bruce lee wanted it too, throws away techniques that are believe unpractical, and adds one that are practical

Further more...jeet kune do, karate, tae kwon do...ect

they were not all created at the same time, so they obviously had in themselfs, new techniques and philosophy

some would argue...that (im not trying to rip on any martial arts here)...traditional martial arts has not new techniques...but it does, teachers will show you techniques that are not always on syllabus, sometimes in martial arts the syllabus even changes or might incorporate new techniques while still remaining true to its root, background and way of teaching

In a way i guess this part is more opinion that anything but...To me, there are new techniques...with martial arts there is always something you dont know, there is always more out there so in a personal perspective...these to me are, new techniques

Alot of this is opinion based but i strongly believe there is always something new...if not new itself...new to you as a person

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The fact that any given person doesn't know something doesn't actually make that thing new.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Several varieties of wrong, in fact. :)

19. Rider

Rider Everybody loves cakes! :D

im not in the context you mean

Its "new" to "you"...not new it itself

Not the main point of what i mean however...times change and the way people think, fight...ect change, and new ways to deal with this are made...new weapons new ways to counter or use them...people think and fight different and new ways to counter this are made...you cannot for certain at all 100% predict that all techniques will work in the future, so new ways of doing things if they dont work, are invented...it all comes down to human psychology, humans will never be happy with something unless its 100% efficent and in the future things might not be as effective as they are now, and as humans always looking for that efficentcy and making things better...we will create what ever is efficent...for example the creation of new guns, we already have good ones...but future ones, will be better and more efficent...look at how many different sword types there are in the world, man always whats the most efficent thing for its time, and in general and will always aim higher than we have already got...old weapons are a good example, if the sword is efficent because it is a good slashing weapon, someone will make a better one that is efficent at both slashing and stabbing which in a way...a katana is the perfect example of man taking what he has and making it better, more efficent...nowadays its not used in war guns are, they are efficent...the way people fight and think, everything with time but basic psychology changes i believe and with that, new techniques that people believe are efficent...are created

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't think that efficiency is a primary drive in human psychology. I think we could all point to examples in which aesthetics took precedence over efficiency in the human decisionmaking process.