Has anyone heard of Marshall Gagne?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by MonsterMaxx, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Do Won

Do Won New Member

Honor and Respect

I have had exactly the opposite experience with Grandmaster Gange. His teaching is excellent and he really cares about his students. Over the years he has advanced me to 4th Dan Hapkido, 2nd Dan Hankido and 2nd Dan Hankumdo. I find that my training is very complete and very well rounded. I am not the first or only Master he has trained.

I'm not sure why you would speak against him for expecting you to fulfill you half of a contract or agreement. Following through with a commitment is the honorable thing to do.

It is a personal opinion, but if you have been offended by a person you should seek to reconcile with them in person rather than malign them behind their back in a forum such as this. It is the honorable and respectful thing to do.

2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Welcome to MAP Do Won!
    Did you realize the post you are talking about are 6 years old? Most those folks are not even on MAP anymore. It's an easy mistake to make (I've done it). The date that any message was posted is in the upper left hand corner of the post.

3. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I really do agree in the majority of cases, however some places have no fixed prices and are happy to work out a 'bespoke' agreement with you based on your need and their offered skills.

Having said that, the hard sell element and overt evasion are the deal breakers here I guess.

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

which post is this directed at? (for context)

5. uchimata1979

uchimata1979 New Member

Wow, you totally have your facts screwed. I am interested in pursuing martial arts training. I am willing to pay him for that training provided it is in a range that I can afford. He refused to give it to me unless I come talk to him. Undoubtedly his plan is to try to justify really high prices to me based on the potential results I would get. Why can't he do something that is so simple and necessary? I mentioned that everything is based on what I can afford and before we do anything I HAVE to know the monthly price. His refusal to let me know that small detail proves he has no honor. That is not showing respect to the customer. It is my right to do voice my opinion of him anywhere I want in any way I choose. He runs a business. Same principle as if I went to a restaurant and they gave me a menu with no prices and they want me to order and commit myself first and then just accept the billing amount no matter how high it may be. It would be my right to review that business however I choose because I am the customer. Don't talk to me about honor or trying to accuse me of being cowardly because I don't want to go face to face with someone I no longer have value or possible respect for. Accept it and move on. He needs to be worried about the "customers" and how many people he turns away for the same reason. In these hard times (or anytime for that matter)allowing your prices to be seen clearly without having to ask is completely imperative. If you run a business you have to be "customer-centered". I have since found a much better place (from what I can tell) for free. I am learning a ton of the same techniques and more combat and street style techniques as well. And, yes, my instructor is a AJJP qualified instructor and it is an actual martial arts school. So you can tell Mr. Gagne that he lost a customer and if anyone asks my opinion on what martial arts school to join you'd better believe they will hear the abridged version of this comment.

6. uchimata1979

uchimata1979 New Member

MonsterMaxx,
    Since being there a while now surely you know the price per month. I found another awesome place to train that I am completely satisfied with. But just out of curiosity how much are you charged each month?

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I am interested in the Hankido side - I see that GM Gagne has been promoted in Hankido (and did some training in Korea for it) - how long have you been studying Hankido to get to 2nd dan?

Have you se the Sangmookwan Hankido DVDs? How well do they compare to the program you study?

In the Hangumdo, do they still do the Korean alphabet cutting drills?

8. Thomas

On the "Hankido side", I am curious about where GM Gagne trained in Hankido.

He was awarded a 5th dan in Hankido in 2010 (awarded by Sung Kwang Myung) (http://www.ushapki.com/pages/grandmaster_gagne.php) and claims that he "... learned Hankido and Hankum do directly from the late international Great Grandmaster Jae Nam Myong" (http://www.ushapki.com/pages/3_hkds.php) . GM Myung Jae-nam passed away in 1999 and the Hankido program was just starting to spread. I wonder who he trained under to test for his dan ranks up to 5th dan. It's truly an unusual accomplishment in the US (where Hankido is very rare).

A video demonstration of GM Gagne doing Hankido
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2BFdyrSoSw8#[/ame]!

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Pretty much, but to be fair pretty much every demo like that does. Didn't like it personally but it's no different than anything else that works on the " grab my wrist" approach to doing things

11. Aegis

I use the "grab my wrist" type of demos quite a lot for beginners when teaching some of the very basic principles of jujutsu, but I always emphasise keeping low enough to maintain your own balance and to move the opponent's. It's a good habit to get into for any art that involves balance taking, so I'm a little baffled as to why a 5th dan would stand bolt upright when performing such techniques...

12. Hannibal

There are class demos and public demos - I suspect this is the latter.

13. Thomas

That's why I am curious as to who he trains under.

The founder of Hankido (GM Myung Jae Nam) demonstrates many of same techniques a bit differently:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K2bC0NteGs"]Kuksanim Myung Jae-nam - 명재남 국사님 - YouTube[/ame]

A lot of the development of Hankido was GM Myung Jae Nam comparing Aikido and experimenting with a closer blending of the two arts (and he even branched off into martial dancing). I am a big fan of his (my 1st black belts were in his Hapkido system in Korea and I studied a bit of the Hankido - no rank)

14. Aegis

I don't really see a difference between the two. A demonstration should be a demonstration regardless of setting, with the techniques being as correct as they can be in all circumstances.

15. Thomas

Hankido is a bit of a different beast. The underlying ideas is to develop good footwork and breathing. There are a limited number of techniques (12) and the idea to practice solo and partner drills using the footwork and 12 techniques (and breakfalls) to reach a point where you should be able apply the techniques fairly automatically from most sorts of attack. I haven't seen Hankido advertised as much as a "hard core self defense" art as much as a sort of meditative , healthy art that can be pressed into service if needed.

Here is Gm Ko Baek-yong showing some application of the techniques from a variety of 'attacks'.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC33SsnMiKo"][ìƒë¬´ê´€] Hankido techniques by master Ko Baek-yong - YouTube[/ame]

16. Hannibal

Well one is to show the basics of the art and the building blocks of how to advance...the other is slick marketing to make people buy into the "invincible ninja" myth and is pretty much aimed at the uneducated

17. Aegis

Ah well, we don't do the latter, hence my confusion. I'm a big believer in only marketing what you actually have to sell, that way you're more likely to get people who stick around for longer.

18. Hannibal

That's my view too...but we are NOT the majority sadly!

19. Thomas

Sounds like you both have a strong handle on what a demonstration should be. I'd love to see some examples of you doing demos - can you shoot me a link or direct me to a topic in another forum where you demonstrate?

20. Aegis

Sadly no, I don't have any footage of me doing anything other than a two-footed stomach throw (think pro wrestling style monkey flip), which was largely done just to see if I could. As it happened, I could, but my back hated me for it!