Has anyone heard of Marshall Gagne?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by MonsterMaxx, Nov 18, 2005.

1. kickingsbn

kickingsbn New Member

Most studio owners I know use a non-compete agreement. It shouldn't be a problem unless you are going to try to cause problems. If you want to open a school; I don't know anyone as helpful as Master Gagne. He just doesn't want schools in the same system within 20 miles of each other. Master Gagne had to sign the same type of agreement himself.
    I don't see the problem with cross training. I have studied under Master Gagne for years. I have a 4th dan in Tae Kwon Do and I have a Ju Jit Su club in my school. This has never been a problem with Master Gagne.
    To belong to the USHA MGK it only costs $50 annually and Master Gagne helps with everything including curriculum and business consultation. The books and dvds are great. I am a master in TKD and can follow everything. I go to his school and he comes to mine to fine tune techniques. He teaches how to run the school, how much to charge,and how to teach classes. You can't beat this association. He just sent me an 8 hour dvd including Hapkido, Hankido, and Hangumdo. Three different arts with international certification. It couldn't be better. Master Gagne has more energy than most 20 year olds. He is always upbeat , positive , and motivating. If you want the facts contact me or Master Gagne direct. www.ushapki.com.
    Anyone who would complain about an 8th dan ,by name, publicly needs to work on there own training. If I had a problem I would take it up with them respectfully, and directly. A public forum is not the place to bad mouth other martial artists. Master W.S. Worthington

2. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Yeah you're right, it's the perfect place to hold back and censor or withhold opinions, PLEASE :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

3. kickingsbn

kickingsbn New Member

I teach self control to white belt beginners......Spending your time negatively speaking about others, publicaly or otherwise, also negatively affects you. A good martial artist should censor himself and be humble. This is all I have to say!

4. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello all,

WHAT are you talking about? Self control is one thing...and I don't teach it, I model it, because if an adult comes to my dojang without it, they got losey home training and I am unlikely to change that in any way except through modeling.

Now what is this "good martial artist" stuff - you have been watching too many re-runs of Kung-fu. We are not Master Po... this is HAPKIDO - its founder was not a philosopher - but a fighter, and a hard fair man by all accounts. No one should EVER censor themselves for HUMILITY - that statement is bizarre. If something is wrong, call it as wrong. Some people do not have a great facility for language, but they should never be suppressed from expression - we have had cultures that tried that last century in Europe - didn't turn out so good.

This is a reletively informal place for information, and while I would add that it is probably inappropriate to speak ill of people in the dojang, this is a place of exchange and ideas.

Suppress yourself if you want to, but let others have the freedom to choose their own path without judgement. In fact can you even see how hypocritical that is? To pass judegement on others speech not by saying they are incorrect but by saying they should listen to your example and not speak at all -

5. Dave Barror

Dave Barror New Member

Dont Censor anything then but at least have the ball's to say it to the man face to face not on some internet forum.If North Carolina is to far away from you I'll stand in his place and I'm right here in michigan. Becouse your Right hapkido is fighting and I'm GREAT at it.But I warn you PACK A LUNCH

6. rangerwalker

rangerwalker Valued Member

Removed at poster's request

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
  7. iron_ox

Hello all,

Isn't it weird that whenever someone asks about an Instructor ther is always one guy looking to post a challenge when the discussion is wound down?

Mr. Barror, once again your post astounds. Where and why did this type of behavior become necessary? This is an open forum, and a damn good one at that I think. If someone wants info about an instructor, they ask - now some may have glowing reports, others not so much, but this type of ridculous "challenge" is uncalled for. You cannot change anyone's personal experience with an individual or group - nor can you change their oportunity to come to an open forum and express their opinion. If your experience is different from someone elses then express that by all means, but this type of violence rhetoric demeans all of us in the community.

Have you never been taught that there is probably someone out there that may be a better fighter than you? I know that generally, this is what creates a certain "detente" among most of us, because even when we lose our tempers, you may issue a challange to the wrong person and wind up hurt - so most of us would just as soon continue civil, if not heated discussion.

Again, I am not for censoring anyone's opinion, but hey, stop embarrasing yourself.

8. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

I.O., somehow I knew you would see it that way,

and for the record I don't Spend all my time negatively speaking about others. I call it as I see it. online, or in person. Lets have an open discussion where no one has to hold back. that makes growth possible, We should be able to disagree without being disagreeable. But if you think something is wrong, who am I to tell you to "be nice and don't talk about that in public!" I am more suspicious now than ever of this guy, since his jae jah (students/disciples) don't seem to like an open public discussion. But I Hope I AM Wrong! If you feel strongly that he is just and correct, then fine, defend him as you will, as it is your right to do so. If his business practices are sound and solid as you say, then there is no reason why they/he can't withstand questioning, and you have little to worry about. But don't hide a discussion of something you don't like behind " censorship and humility"

9. iron_ox

BRAVO!!!! Couldn't agree more!! Well put!

10. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Ok folks. First of all to those of you that think this is no place for a discussion of a man's teachin practices. YOU ARE WRONG! One of the purposes of this forum is for other people to get information on instructors/schools through others' past experiences. You are allowed to post your own opinions. That's fine. Personal insults will NOT be tolerated. And challenges for phyiscal confrontation are even worse. I am leaning towards closing this thread, as I feel it's served it's purpose, and there's nothing left to be said from either side. If you feel it should be left open send me a PM stating why. However, one more insult or fight challenge and this thread gets locked. PERIOD!!

edit: also if I don't receive any convincing PM's in the next few hours, this thread will be locked.

11. iron_ox

Lock It!!!!

12. rangerwalker

Removed at poster's request

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
  13. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Well, I think this thread has outlived it's usefullness.
    [​IMG]

14. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Thread re-opened at the request of someone who would like to address various points raised 5 years ago.

15. Pazifist

Pazifist Valued Member

And who may that be? And what are those points? :D

16. rangerwalker

Please remove all my posts on this thread.

17. uchimata1979

uchimata1979 New Member

Hey people,
    I am just curious. It seems like a few of you are enrolled in his adult programs. How much does Gagne charge monthly for adult hapkido? I know he is running a special now, 5 weeks for 11bucks. I am just curious how much it is going to be afterwards. I have connected with him twice and he refuses to quote me a price over the phone or email. I'm not sure why he is playing this game with me unless his price is high. I can't afford a lot. I have narrowed it down between him and Chang's Hapkido on Woodruff rd. and Miller rd. also in greenville. Any feedback is appreciated. Cheers!

18. uchimata1979

uchimata1979 New Member

monthly cost?

how much does he charge monthly for his adult hapkido program? anyone know? He refuses to tell me for some odd reason.

19. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

One of my golden rules is to never ever sign up for anything where the person in question won't disclose their likely charges up front. If it's something that requires an estimate, then a rough guess is ok, if it's something fixed like martial arts lessons, there's no reason at all to keep that from you in advance unless the fee is really high and there's a better success rate with a hard sell associated with it.

20. uchimata1979

uchimata1979 New Member

Aegis,
    that is precisely how I feel. I am sort of in sales myself. However, if the price is better than what I'm looking at then I would consider driving a little further. It would be more convenient for me from work. I'm not going to rule it out completely. I may not like the sales tactics but I've heard rave reviews about his dojang. We shall see.
    Thanks, mate.