Has anyone attended a Renzo Gracie seminar?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by greg1075, Apr 11, 2016.

1. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

We're thinking about bringing him in eventually and am looking for feedback on his seminars.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Gotta be worth it just for the stories alone? :)

3. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

That's what I said when my instructor texted me about the idea. Probably not cheap but I'd pony up for "racooning" stories :D

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's Renzo! DO IT!!!

5. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

We probably will eventually if we can afford him. I’m waiting on a quote. Haueter is coming back in May first, then we’re working on bringing in Hannette Staack and maybe one of Drysdale’s black belts. Hopefully Roy Harris again soon, too. I just wanted to make sure there’s no horror stories or about Renzo. I suggested Caio Terra and my instructor was open to it, then I did some checking and found a lot of negative feedback about his seminars…so as much I like the guy’s instructionals, I think we’ll pass on him. I’m still bummed I missed Roy Dean when he was in town.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Havr never seen or heard a bad thing said about renzo or his teaching style, if you can get him why wouldn't you?! Outside of rickson and maybe royler he is the Gracie id most like to train with

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What was so bad about terra''s seminars?

8. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

If it is any thing like clark gracie seminars you will be mad for wasting your time and money.

9. Dead_pool

Clark Gracie has a reputation for being very skilled and an articulate teacher.

I thought you've previously said you didn't train at his seminars anyway?

10. raaeoh

I don't. I am referring to the one and only one my kid did. He may be skilled. But he is arrogant. He charged a lot with s little return.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

How do you know that if you didn't attend?

12. raaeoh

long story posted in another thread. I was in the building. When it went down. I saw the seminar from time to time I was working stand up. He thought i was wrong for not attending his seminar. So on. Personally I think the man is an ass. Clark. Not the o.p. never met the other gracie family members

13. raaeoh

long story posted in another thread. I was in the building. When it went down. I saw the seminar from time to time I was working stand up. He thought i was wrong for not attending his seminar. So on. Personally I think the man is an ass. Clark. Not the o.p. never met the other gracie family members

14. raaeoh

Also. Why does everyone on this site attempt to discredit everyone who is not a prominent member? I mean really some people do.make outlandish claims and I get calling them out. I post that I don't like clark gracie 2 times and I get the 2nd degree both times. Seriously?

15. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Thinking someone is an ass is one thing, saying that someone with a solid rep is ripping people off with bad seminars is an entirely different kettle of fish and you should expect people to question it. I don't think anyone's been rude to you in their questioning.

16. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

It's kind of a weird thing to bring up on a thread about his cousin.

17. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

There's many accounts of him having a really bad attitude. In short, Terra gets frustrated easily with students, ukes and questions, is totally apathetic and shows no interest in interacting with anyone. I've read from multiple people that he shows a technique then just plays on his cell phone and never walks around to help. This was confirmed to me via a local black belt who attended one of his workshops. I'm sure Terra has good and bad days like everyone, but that's a lot of red flags. Given 1) what he charges 2) the high % of complaints and 3) the myriad of other options out there for seminars, I think it's safe to pass. I'll stick to his apps - which I love btw - for now. I really wanted things to be different. I like the guy's jits and am the one who brought up his name to my instructor for a seminar. It is what it is...

18. Dead_pool

I've read that same thread.

It reads that he's really just introverted, and is ocd about detail, fantastic traits for a teachers, not so much for everyone enjoying themselves.

19. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Some people’s opinion. Others think he’s a huge you-know-what. Regardless of where the truth lies, that’s enough red flags for me. There’s plenty of friendly instructors out there. Rigan is super approachable. Haueter is a riot. I don’t have a horse in this race. I was bummed to hear about the complaints leveled against Terra, but most people go to seminars for fun as much as they go for great instruction. An apathetic instructor, whether it is the expression of his introversion or rudeness, is not what most people are looking for – myself included.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

That wasn't the 2nd degree, I simply asked a question because you seriously have a you know what for the man, which seems to be based on nothing more than a single conversation and no real knowledge of expertise