Has anybody tried this?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Saturnine138, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Saturnine138

Saturnine138 Valued Member

My aikido club was thinking of inviting all the other MA clubs at the university to a seminar type thing, where each sensei would teach a few techniques from their art. It would give us all an excuse to hang out and expierience different styles. The only problem I can forsee is that people who are not used to a particular style may not be able to take/apply the technique correctly and may get hurt or hurt someone, but I think as long as everyone's careful it shouldnt be a problem. Has anyone ever tried doing something like this? I'm sure we're not the first to think of it, so someone must have some expierience with this type of thing. I'd appreciate any opinions or ideas.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

3. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

I agree safety has to be into consideration, I would think it'll be a great idea for different Martial Artists to explore something new and something different.

I never been in to one with our Class, but I would sure love to be a part of it. :D Oh yeah have fun with it too. :) :cool:

4. bonita

bonita Valued Member

we do it quite often and ask other schools to come in and train with us. we even do some sparring and i really think it helps you as a student.

5. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Btw welcome to MAP :D

6. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

I think aikido will probably present more problems than most simply because of the way every technique seems to end up with you being thrown on your head (or at least that's what I remember from doing it for a few months many years ago). This will probably make things difficult for people who do striking arts, and aren't used to having to roll.

7. Saturnine138

Saturnine138 Valued Member

Thanks guys, now I've just got to contact all the clubs and set up a time. It'll probably take a month or so (being that I'm on break now), I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

8. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Freeform told me at a MAPmeet about something to watch out for, it involved a choke and an assumption that everybody knew how to tap out, it was only when a TKD guy went limp it was realised the assumption was wrong. Good luck though it gives everybody a boost in thier training.

9. rocketone5

rocketone5 New Member

Give a little pep-talk on respect, or someone can get in trouble.