Haruki Murakami fans out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by amaialuna, Nov 15, 2008.

1. amaialuna

amaialuna Valued Member

Hey buddies !

`Blind willow sleeping woman´.I love this collection of short stories.It was the first Haruki Murakami book i ever read.My favorite story is Tony Takitani.
    Haruki has to be one of The Best Writers ever

'The wind up bird chronicle' & ´South of the Border West of the Sun´ are waitting for me on my desk :) .I will devour them

Any fans around ????

2. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

...........................................Absolutely

3. rurounidragon

rurounidragon Valued Member

i think i've almost got them al my favorite is underground the one about the sarin gas attack you can realy feel the victims pain

4. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I read a couple of his books some years ago and enjoyed them. I found them in the library of a ship I found myself on.

I do believe there are more people around here that likes his work.

5. amaialuna

amaialuna Valued Member

Thank you for your responses. it is great to hear from you.
    We share love for MA and Murakami :)

I haven´t read the one with sarin gas yet.
    Maybe it sound sexist but i would have sworn his books were written by a woman. Too sensitive for a man ;)
    This is just a stupid thought...sorry

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I've read a few of his books. Personally I think he is alittle overrated. Hardboiled wonderland was ok. Wind up bird chronicles was dull. I think he spends too much time trying to be david lynch of the literary world.

The Bear.

7. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Read a few and found them to be very good reads, although they can sometimes paint the world in a darker shade of grey than I see myself..Does depend on which book you read of his though..

He's a good writer, nice prose and good feeling, and it's easy to fall deep into the characters that he writes about, the only holdback would be the grimness in some of the stories (Norwegian Wood for example)...But that's all good..Come Winter those books are a great way to remember that there is always someone more depressed than I am...

Lovely stuff..

8. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Big fan.

Has anyone read the Japanese? How do the translations rate?

9. hapkidofighter

hapkidofighter Valued Member

kafka on the shore is my favorite- i also really like Norwegian wood and south of the border west of the sun

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I think he is great and not over rated at all.I think you either get him and enjoy his work or you don't .A marmite author maybe :D

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He's a great author, although sometimes I do get to the end of a page and think 'what the hell just happened?'

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah I like his work. Really taking my time to enjoy Kafka on the Shore. Very enjoyable so far. Generally people either love him or hate him. I do seriously doubt he spends his time trying to be David Lynch... lol.:rolleyes:

13. a.m.

a.m. New Member

He's one of the best authors alive.

Just because his work is reminiscent of David Lynch films doesn't mean he's "trying to be David Lynch". He's himself, and unique, and awesome :D

14. One Man Circus

One Man Circus Valued Member

The reason people hate Murakami is that they expect a story with a coherent beginning, middle and end.

Murakami seems to be much more about the journey than the plot. I think he's great.