Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Judo is just awesome, wish I had the time to do it with my karate. I need to win the lotto.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

It occurred to me the other day that unlike the striking MAs I've done judo really needs a lot of dojo time to improve, and could be why it and BJJ take a long time to get through the grades. There's not a lot I can practice at home. Learn the terminology, watch youtube and other sites to pick up nuances on technique I've recently learned and should now know.

3. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

My experience in all arts is that leaning to effectively respond to an uke is what takes the most time. I study a very traditional style of Okinawan karate and there is a good deal of grappling in the style when done correctly. Just as in judo, you need to learn the feel, timing and mai of getting in on an opponent. You aren't going to just walk up to your opponent and do an o goshi in a randori match, it takes time to learn how to recognize when the opportunity to throw presents itself and more time to learn how to get in and actually do the throw in these conditions. Learning katas and techniques in isolation doesn't take as much time.

4. Princess Haru

Second week of (nearly) complete rest.... that is, apart from Judo yesterday.

After a quick warm up, including some new elements like shrimping and cartwheels, both which I'm not good at we started on another new throwing technique Osoto gari. In my usual luck not having a partner left me paired up with a brown belt guy who was fairly good at pointing out stuff though his reap went for both legs which might be a better, stronger technique but I have a bruise on the side of my left calf that'll hurt another day or two, grrrr.

We spent quite a bit of time on this and following up with Kesa Gatame escapes. I noted he gripped my gi in such a way that I could not get my other arm free (one of the three escape strategies), the only other options was leg trap I managed and a weak attempt at pushup and bridge. We also did some work on attacking a kneeling floor defence.

The next bit I was less happy about, failing to properly escape from two other women, one bigger and one smaller than me. Starting with one person on front first and on back second. Didn't really know what I was doing wrong and whether it was Kugume Kesa Getame or Hon Kesa Getame, so my escape attempts just felt all the more humiliating as about two thirds of the class remain on the sides watching. Massively demoralised after thought I should give up judo after class.

..and yet being poor at it is reason why I should stick it out. But remember I gave up on Ninjutsu while not being naturally talented at it but failed by being thrown into stuff that I couldn't do with an audience and not told what it was I got wrong. Admittedly it is better in judo, I did get correction on shrimping, the position of leg for Osoto gari, the grip and how to off balance.

Anyway, I digress, we finished with some De Ashi practice. I think I need a good beginners Judo dvd to watch again and again. My right elbow has a fairly impressive bruise about the size of a patch like they had those jumpers with shoulder and elbow patches.

5. Princess Haru

Forgot about something last week. While on the mats with the russian guy, usually with a hold that I really struggled to get out of there were still the occasion when I did and one of these is a push/situp then roll over type movement. He pushed my face on one, so I tried this with other female partners when I couldn't get anything working, as leverage at the head would be better than the shoulder but got complaints. Is it legal?

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

it could be a considered a neck crank. is this is judo?

7. Princess Haru

Yes, it's in Judo, but no it's not a hold but pushing the opponents head to help get leverage in getting out of a hold, probably Kesa Getame, and because I couldn't move my legs enough to get the leg trap release and the back arm was free

8. Princess Haru

Third week of rest (apart from Judo yesterday), probably going to slip quite a bit on strength by beginning of next month. The leg feels better but our gym has a monthly membership payable on first day of month so it wouldn't make any sense to pay a month for probably two or three sessions.

Judo was only marginally better than last week, and in some ways worse. Seems more competitive than I am, which doesn't suit though from a self defence pov if I can't defend myself from someone younger, fitter and stronger then I would be in trouble as that is the likely aggressor in a situation. Numbers fairly dropping off, now at around 30 (from the 50 or more at start of term).

Started with running around dojo, then forward rolls, backward rolls, forward round breakfall, backward breakfall, sideward breakfall, and cartwheels. Partner work, got someone that didn't cripple me (unlike last week, still have the bruise from the Osoto Gari to both legs). We did more Osoto Gari with uchikomi, found taking balance trickier on the left side, later following it up with more throw to hold, then throw-hold-escape. I totally suck at escapes, even when I know the recommended counters for each hold. Frustrated.

Moved on to more De Ashi Barai, trying to feel the start of the move and sweep the foot before it lands, feels great when it works otherwise kicking your partner in the ankle/shin not so good. Finished with the two lines four at time, well can't call it Randori but a nominated Tori and Tachi waza, then several minutes of Osae waza. First and second round De Ashi Barai, third and fourth Seoi Nage, fifth and sixth Osoto Gari (avoided) to Seoi Nage.

maybe this is what I should have tried.....
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLggCk7ylE8&feature=related"]Ippon seoi nage defense and counter by Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki sensei - YouTube[/ame]

As uke I didn't avoid the Seoi Nage but did initially counter a hold for a little while but needed to get back on my feet ultimately and got stuck in a hold which I could not get free from, no point in submitting as nothing hurt except pride. The added audience of the class makes it feel ten times worse though. I want to stick it out. Seems those who enjoy it are naturally good and those that aren't give up so the remainder of the term are mostly the best of the bunch. I don't want to give up too early. I could use a white gi to seem less conspicuous though buying one not to stay would mean stuck with two judo gis!

9. Princess Haru

Felt a bit discouraged as my judo beginners stuff hasn't been going great, I was partnered up with a guy I had previously worked with at one of the first classes, only a little taller but def quite a bit bulkier and stronger, and I could not throw him at all with Seoi Nage. It really ****ed me off. The teacher thought later that he is quite a difficult customer but I was stuck with it. Whereas on previous occasions we were doing the throw as a turn and pull action this was with a lot more of a squat and I had no leverage as he'd managed to dig in. The problem of a move with no surprise. At least in ninjutsu if you had an awkward uke who was tightly resisting the particular lock you could take a little dig or wallop as a loosener, don't think that would go down well in judo though. Tomorrow is the last class of term. I've got my black judo gi up on ebay. Hope to get a white one and not feel like I'm standing out more than I already am... also got a rash vest to try out :)

10. Princess Haru

Last class of term went a lot better than expected. Numbers were a bit lower, and only a couple of women so I had a easier partner (at least for throwing) than last week. Plus got a lot more tutoring with the two black belts on my seoi nage, our first throw, and the new one ouchi gari and various combinations of these, with some groundwork at the end and a choke hadaka jime to finish. I was really happy :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muqe5SheOxc"]ouchi gari kihon - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MehcvFalumM"]Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki-Hadaka Jime - YouTube[/ame]

11. Princess Haru

First day back in the gym, felt a bit weird at first but after 30 minutes or so I got into it. Still not sure how I'm going to structure my training. Something that has always been a problem, it's not one of those gyms with several racks, so the SS program (always start your session with Squats) just can't be done a lot of the time.

1. Airdyne 5 mins, 80 cals (warm-up 1)
    2. Mobility Exercises [back roll to v-sit x10, elbow and arm circles x10 es fb, fire hydrants x10 es fb, mountain climbers x10, groiners x10] (warm-up 2)
    3. Leg Curls - 4 x 10 @ 20kg
    4. KB Swings - 1 x 50 with 24kg kettlebell
    5. Resistance Band GMs - 1 x 10 (S/blue), 1 x 10 (S/blue + XS/red)
    6. Good Mornings - 1 x 10 @ 40kg, 45kg, 50kg
    7. Front Squat - 1 x 10 @ 20kg, 30kg; 2 x 5 @ 40kg, 45kg
    8. Back Extension - 3 x 10 with 20kg plate
    9. Resistance Band 'uchikomi' Seoi Nage - 3 x 10 es with Small/blue band
    10. Swiss Ball Glute Raise - 2 x 10 then the gym closed...

Damn front squats are tough, I wanted to stay on sets of 10 but wimped out at 40kg, wanted to keep it fairly dynamic so wouldn't have gone above 50kg on anything for lower body anyway, maybe 60kg for deadlift. Still I feel positive, nothing hurts

12. Princess Haru

Second day, next week I hope to spread my training a bit more evenly, though it being December and so many closure days I might still be tempted to try for 4 sessions a week. Anyways, a light second session partly as had some DOMS, rare for me, and also a bit of experimentation.

1. Bagwork 5 mins (warm-up 1)
    2. Shuttle runs, cone pick up, put down, 3 stops, progressive distance, 5 sets (warm-up 2)
    3. Skipping 5 mins, plastic rope (warm-up 3)
    4. Front Squat - 1 x 10 @ 20kg, 30kg, 40kg; then 5 x 3 @ 45kg
    5. Bench Press - 1 x 10 @ 20kg, 30kg; then 3 x 3 @ 30kg; then 5 x 3 @ 30kg plus chains
    6. Lat Pulldown - 3 x 10 @ 4 (i think its about 80lbs)
    7. Face Pulls - 3 x 10 @ 2

Felt I should have done more but it's a start. Figure I need a couple of bits of rope and those clips things so I can have more heavier chain on the floor for variation in the weight. It's something I can train on my own for the top part to lockout of a bench, unlike board presses

13. Princess Haru

I'm still of the view going to the gym without a training plan is an invitation to be lazy :( only a little lower than I was in July when I was really really pushing my bench to try to get 50kg

1.a - Bagwork 5 mins - warmup
    1.b - Skipping 5 mins - warmup

2 - Bench Press - max effort
    1x10@20kg
    1x5@25kg
    1x5@30kg
    1x5@35kg
    1x3@37.5kg
    1x3@40kg
    1x3@42.5kg
    1x2@45kg
    1x2@47.5kg*
    1x16@30kg
    3.a - Incline Rows (on smith machine, 3rd peg up) 10x5
    3.b - Push ups 10x5

4 - Incline DB Bench Press (near upright)
    1x10@10kgs
    1x10@12kgs
    1x9@14kgs
    1x3@16kgs
    5 - Lat Pulldown (wide bar) 3x10@5 [dunno weights for the numbers]

6 - Floor Press (err, sort of... on blocks + step to use Squat Rack pegs)
    Peg 2
    1x3@20kg
    1x3@40kg
    1x3@45kg*

Peg 3
    1x3@45kg
    1x3@50kg
    1x3@55kg*
    7 - Bent Over Row (sort of... on Hyper extension Rack) 3x10@20kg

* to fail, though I might have got the first two though it was a very slow second rep

14. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Giving westside a whirl then or not?

15. Princess Haru

the bits I can follow, though haven't worked out 60% of 1RM for DE workout properly yet, and need to get some ropes and hook thingys so I can make use of the gyms chains

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

17. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

18. Princess Haru

It's not just the working out of specific percentages like 60% but the 4 week cycle during the repetition training, and some of the set listing, such as this appallingly unplanned squats last night, ooops!:Angel:

1a. Airdyne 6+ mins - warm-up
    1b. Mobility exercises - arm circles, fire hydrants, back roll to v-sit, mountain climbers, groiners

2. Leg Curls - 4x10 @20kg

3. Good Mornings
    1x10 @ 20kg
    1x10 @ 40kg
    1x10 @ 45kg
    1x10 @ 50kg
    4. Box Squat
    1x10 @ 20kg
    1x10 @ 40kg
    1x5 @ 45kg
    1x5 @ 50kg
    1x5 @ 55kg
    1x3 @ 60kg
    1x3 @ 65kg
    1x3 @ 70kg
    1x3 @ 75kg
    1x2 @ 80kg
    5. Back Extension - 3x10 @ 25kg

Today was judo but didn't make it as I sold my black judo gi on eBay and bought a white gi, hope to have it next week :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Not being funny but id really think about Westside before trying it, its telling that a lot of raw lifters don’t touch it and its also telling that’s the likes of dave tate and jim wendler also don’t follow it much, especially with their raw lifters

Check out chad smiths articles over at elitefts about raw lifting it makes a lot of sense (and its hard to argue with a guy who has a 905 raw squat

What a novice raw lifter needs to do to increase their strength is totally different to what an elite geared and injecting lifter has to do

20. Princess Haru

^ I guess. You have national/international level lifters, and I rarely even have a spotter :( I'm unlikely to do any more competitions partly because I see no point when there is no one to regularly check I even do the lifts properly, and you can only really add lots more weight when the lift is efficient and correct. Plus a lot of times training on my own I can't get enough time on the squat rack or right at the end of working out when not my best. Reading some of the Keep It Simple stupid article, interesting stuff

1a. Bagwork 5 mins warm-up
    1b. Skipping 5 mins weighted rope

2a. Hang Clean - 1 x 10 @ 20kg

2b. Power Clean

2x5 @ 30kg
    2x5 @ 35kg
    5x5 @ 40kg
    3. Bench Press

1x10 @ 20kg
    1x10 @ 27.5kg
    2x5 @ 30kg
    10x3 @ 30kg + chains