Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

So it was the first day back since my month off (training outside the gym). It should have been yesterday but I left it a little too late for a proper workout. I'm still not sure what goal I have in mind but maybe I'll find it later, ideas scribbled down a few minutes before gym... ...pull ups, chin ups on the hit list!

02/09/2011 - Lower body (1.25 hours)

1. 'Kettlebell Swings' (the warm-up) - 100 swings with 16kg KB (all in 1 set)
    2. 'Leg Curls' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 10kg (a bit light, could increase to 15kg though first time on these)
    3. 'Deadlifts' - 2 sets of 8 reps with 60kg, 2 sets of 5 reps with 75kg, 3 sets of 5 reps with 85kg (grip weaker, had to go mixed grip on last weight, and more reps)
    4. 'Good Mornings' - 4 sets of 10 reps with 30kg (a bit light, could increase to 40kg, also first time on these)
    5. 'Bent Over Rows' - 5 sets of 8 reps with 35kg (first set was 40kg but too heavy, even 35kg was a challenge, maybe lighter, I hate these)
    6. 'Back Extensions' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 10kg plate (about right)
    7. 'Bird Dogs' - 3 sets of 10 reps (felt easy, maybe I took too long on earlier stuff, and could reduce time between sets, increase reps and intensity)
    8. 'Chin ups' - 3 sets of 5 reps (pitiful, and I gave up, I'll come back to why)

Planned but ran out of time: 9. 'Crunches' on swiss ball, 10. 'Russian Twists' with med ball, 11. 'Pulldowns' on cable machine with narrow bar

Towards the end of workout distracted by others, I just don't train well in a gym environment with guys. I want to set stuff up on the squat rack then people politely take over the space. I forgot how annoying this is and how I let people walk all over me then get really ****ed off partly for not standing up for myself and also that it's a guys space.

For the athletes/bodybuilders here is another workout that was on the board I couldn't manage and was being tried out when I turned up. I tried setting up for it but needed the rack for 3-5 but failed with slow chinups.

1. 10 pullups (or chinups) narrow grip

2. 10 dips mid point
    3. 10 barbell curls (30kg) in the squat rack ;)
    4. 10 overhead press (30kg) not push press!
    5. 10 barbell upward rows (30kg) narrow grip
    Repeat 1 - 5. Timed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
  2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

:happy: Nice to see another woman posting her log here! :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the Bird dogs being easy. They're more of an activation/prehab exercise than anything else.

Nice deadlifting, I have to switch to mixed grip ~70kg, so your grip is much better than mine!

3. Princess Haru

Second day back, still feeling a bit of soreness from last night, had a decent breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast and real coffee, then bought more eggs, bread and fruit, got my kit and was off.

03/09/2011 - Upper body (2 hours)

1. 'Kettlebell Swing-Highpull-Snatch complex' - (the warm up) 6 sets of 10 reps with 12kg, changing sides (Tough on the grip).
    2. 'Bench Press' - 1 set of 10 reps with 20kg, repeat 30kg, then declining sets of 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps with 35kg (Weak!)
    3. 'Decline Bench Press' - 1 set of 5 reps with 20kg, then sets with 30kg, 32.5kg, 35kg and 37.5kg (Add in 40kg when there's a spotter)
    4. 'Chest Flys' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 6kg DBs (Tough, but more reps)
    5. 'Pulldowns' - 3 sets of 10 reps at No.5 with narrow bar (Fine)
    6. 'Single arm Bent over Rows' - 3 sets of 10 reps each side with 10kg DB (Easy, more reps and weight)
    7. 'Overhead Press' - 1 set of 10 reps with 20kg, then declining sets of 5-4-3-2-1 with 25kg (Pitiful)
    8. 'Shoulder Flys' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 6kg DBs (Tough, but more reps)
    9. 'Pushdowns' - 3 sets of 12 reps at No.4 with narrow bar (Fine)
    10. 'French Press' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 6kg DBs (Fine)
    11. 'Kettlebell Swing-Highpull-Snatch complex' - 4 sets of 5 reps with 12kg, changing sides (Tough on the grip).

I was the only person in the weights room for the majority of this, not that I aimed to do any max lifts but a couple of times could have used a spot to push myself. I've got no stamina for bench and overhead press alas. Thought I'd easily get through that lot in time but ran out to add Crunches and Leg Raises

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  4. Princess Haru

:zzz:Today was a rest day.

Unsure what the plan is for gym tomorrow. I've missed out on any core exercises the last couple of session so could put some in at the start, plus bodyweight stuff like push ups, chin ups. Some form of squats, bit of plyo, more new stuff like glute raises... How can I pull all this together? Dynamic/Speed work?

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

You tried hook grip?

It feels like someone is biting your thumb but it let's you do double overhand with heavier weight.

What a wonderfully organised log, I'll be following along for sure.

Keep up the good work

6. Princess Haru

Is hook grip a thumbless grip? I've seen it on bench press and occasionally overhead too but would worry doing it with no one else in the gym

7. Frodocious

8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Hooghly grip is where your thumb goes around the bar then your fingers 'hooking' your thumb in place.

I use mixed grip for ME singles but try to stay double overhand as much as possible.
    Eg:
    Warm up 1 DOH
    warm up 2 DOH
    Work set 5 reps DOH/hook depending
    Work set3 reps hook
    Work set 2 rep hook
    Singles 1-4 hook
    Last ME single mixed.

Hope that makes sense, it takes a week or two to get your thumb used to it.

9. Princess Haru

Wasn't feeling up to much tonight at the gym and had to really force myself into it. Thought I had pulled a hamstring doing KB stuff as warmup which didn't help though it doesn't feel too bad now which is odd. Aimless workout is aimless :bang:

05/09/2011 - Core and more/mostly lower body (1.25 hours)

1. 'Mobility warmup + foam rolling'
    2. 'Kettlebell clean and press' - 3 sets of 20 reps, changing sides after 10 with 12kg (Harder than I thought)
    3. 'Kettlebell alt single arm swings' - 3 sets of 20 reps with 12kg (Much too easy)
    4. 'Back Squat' - 9 sets of 10 reps with powerbag, like a sandbag, 1st-3rd 10kg, 4th-6th 15kg, 7th-9th 20kg (Harder on the arms than legs, silly exercise)
    5. 'Hanging Leg Raises' - 3 sets of 8 reps from pullup bar (Good, tough on the grip)
    6. 'Crunches' - 6 sets of 8 reps on swiss ball with 5kg plate (Fine, more weight)
    7. 'Russian Twists' - 3 sets of 25 left to right twist with 6kg med ball (Good, though someone burst my fav ball)
    8. 'Bulgarian Split Squat' - 3 sets of 20 reps, changing sides after 10, 1st bw, 2nd with 4kg DBs, 3rd with 6kg DBs (Fine, though silly exercise as quads are okay)

Just when I was done I felt properly warmed up for some proper lifting, always the way. Some new exercises tried, at least now I know :) Really need more hamstring exercises, when they aren't hurting of course. Suggestions welcome!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  10. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

As a rule most fitness professionals will say that a 2 hour workout is at LEAST 30 minutes too long. A lot of that depends on really nailing your pre- and post-workout nutrition. You have to consider many factors such as optimizing growth hormone response and protein resynthesis following training. Weightlifting for over 90 minutes uses up your glycogen stores, which fuels your body. If they are not replenished, then your body will start to burn lean mass as its fuel, adrenaline functions and endorphans decrease and eventually the body begins to produce cortisol. Among the effects of cortisol is the prohibition of protein synthesis, which is bad.

Now during endurance training such as long distance running, as long as the athlete replenishes those glycogen stores at some point its possible to exercise for extended periods of time. This also can hold true for lifting workouts but again, as I stated, pre- and post-workout nutrition should be spot on and extended rest periods should be allowed afterward.

I have some research on the subject I can find. Just something to keep in the back of your mind moving forward.

11. Princess Haru

This makes a lot of sense, thanks Bigmikey :D

12. Sylverstorm

Sylverstorm Valued Member

Some exercises that (also) hit the hamstrings that I know of:

- Glute Ham Raise
    - Slideboard Leg-curl (can also be done on a smooth floor)
    - Romanian Deadlift
    - Kettlebell/DB Swing

13. Princess Haru

We had a discussion whether a long workout burns fat if you have more visible bf than lean mass? Yesterday was an unscheduled rest day, not quite recovered from last weekend and think I could have a hamstring injury already :( Okay lets do this...

07/09/2011 - The Trinity SQ/BP/DL (1.5 hours)

1. 'Bagwork' - 5 minutes of jab, jab-cross, jab-cross-jab, jab-jab, hook, cross-hook, hook-hook. (I should do more of this, fun)
    2. 'Foam Rolling' - Mainly legs
    3. 'Kettlebell Swings' - 1 set of 100 swings with 16kg KB (first half okay but hamstring hurt a bit towards end)
    4. 'Squats' - 2 sets of 5 reps at 20kg, 30kg, 40kg; 4 sets of 5 reps at 50kg (getting back into these, 50kg was okay but my foot was playing up on +3rd reps)
    5. 'Bench Press' - 1 set of 10 reps at 20kg, 30kg; 1 set of 8 reps at 35kg, 1 set of 3 reps at 37.5kg, 40kg; 1 set of 3 (failed on 2nd) at 42.5kg; 4 sets of 3 reps at 40kg (should stick with 40kg for a couple of weeks at max)
    6. 'Deadlift' - 1 set of 5 reps at 60kg, 70kg, 80kg and 90kg (ran out of time for 100kg)

More pleased but worried about the hamstring, will need to take it easier on lower body friday! Nigel helped out with BP spotting, arrived just as I got to 40kg

14. Frodocious

Nice lifting!

I feel your pain re. the hamstring. I tweaked my glute/hammy last week and have been dropping exercises to allow it to recover this week.

15. Princess Haru

So with the possibility of missing tomorrow's training I wanted to push myself a bit more, yet this time last week really felt it. Difficult balancing act.

09/09/2011 - Lower body (1.5 hours)

1. 'Skipping' - 5 minutes warmup (need to do more, my technique sucks)
    2. 'Foam Rolling' - mostly around the leg and hip area (hamstring feels okay)
    3. 'Kettlebell Swings' - single arm, 2 sets of 50 reps with 16kg alternating every 10 RLRLR then LRLRL (okay, no hurting thank god)
    4. 'Leg Curls' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 15kg (more challenging weight than last week)
    5. 'Squats' - 1 set of 10 reps, then 1 set of 5 reps at 40, 45, 50, 55 and 60kg (gets hard at 55, more sets at 50 needed)
    6. 'Good Mornings' - 4 sets of 10 reps at 40kg (felt okay, if difficult to keep the bar tight)
    7. 'Bent Over Rows' - 3 sets of 12 reps at 30kg (better workout at lower weight, maintain this)
    8. 'Glute Bridges' - 6 sets of 6 reps at 60kg (this was tougher than I imagined, no bar pads though)
    9. 'Back Extensions' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 10kg plate (good / challenging)
    10. 'Deadlifts' - 3 sets of 5 reps at 90kg (would have liked to sneak in a 100kg but I was done)

Had the gym to myself for most of this so got to put on Joe Satriani 'Crystal Planet' which I've been listening to a lot recently.
    It helped :Angel:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3MRGXaucu4"]Joe Satriani - Lights of heaven - YouTube[/ame]

[You either love or hate Joe, anyway the haters go to 3:20, the most beautiful bass line in the finale from Stu, matching the theatrics of Joes guitar playing, what is not to like, this was playing during the Bent Over Rows]

16. Princess Haru

Second week back, and felt okay today less than 24 hours since the last workout. My friend didn't turn up at 9am so guess the other person was okay and I got a chance to do a slightly less intense workout than last Saturday.

10/09/2011 - Upper body (1.5 hours)

1. 'Bagwork' - 6-7 minutes (the warm up, more work on the jab).
    2. 'Skipping' - 5 minutes (more warm up, got in a few double unders)
    3. 'Bench Press' - 1 set of 10 reps with 20kg, 30kg; 1 set of 8 reps with 35kg, then 8 sets of 3 reps with 40kg (bit of a risk without a spotter, the last set was hard)
    4. 'Incline Bench Press' - 2 sets of 20 reps with 12kg DBs (very tough, struggled on last 5 reps)
    5. '
    Chest Flys' - 3 sets of 10-12 reps with 6kg DBs (forgot to count all sets at 12 silly girl, physically fine)
    6. 'Chin ups' - 5 sets of 3 reps (gotta start somewhere, super setting with previous and subsequent exercise)
    7. 'Lat Pulldowns' - 3 sets of 10 reps at No.5 with close grip bar (Fine, could go upto 6)
    8. 'Single Arm Bent Over Rows' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 12kg DB (Fine, better at this weight)
    9. 'Cable Rope Pulls' - 2 sets of 20 reps at No.3 (Tough, maybe less reps more sets)
    10. 'Shoulder Flys' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 6kg DBs (Tough, was also super setting these as running out of time).

I was fairly pleased with this, enjoying more variety in this workout than obsessing on the bench press, and I got Joe again if at a lower volume with a couple of people in the gym.

17. Princess Haru

Another training day :)

12/09/2011 - Core and More (1.5 hours)

1. 'Mobility warmup' - 5 minutes
    2. 'Kettlebell complex' - Swing - High Pull - Snatch - Windmill - Swing - Clean & Press - Clean & Squat. 2 sets of 5 reps, right then left arm with 12kg (Bit of a technical refresher too)
    3. 'Crunches' - 6 sets of 8 reps on swiss ball with 2.5+2.5+1.25 plates (Tough on last reps but think I can add more weight)
    4. 'Chin Ups' - 6 sets of 3 reps (still easing back into these, superset with follow exercise)
    5. 'Power Cleans' - 2 sets of 5 reps with 35kg, repeat with 37.5kg and 40kg (think I need to do more hang cleans too)
    6. 'Sit Ups' - 3 sets of 30 reps on Decline Bench, straight/left/right, first set bodyweight, second with 5kg, third with 10kg (Last set was really tough)
    7. 'Russian Twists' - 3 sets of 20 left to right twist with 10kg Dumbbell (This was tougher than I thought, maybe 8kg is a better weight)

Doesn't seem much for 90 minutes though :(

18. Frodocious

Nice power cleans!

What sort of rest periods do you use between sets?

19. Princess Haru

Do you mean between the Power Clean sets or all the sets generally? It varies a lot depending what area is available. I had to put off starting cleans as there was someone on the Deadlift area or I would have done them right after the Kettlebell stuff. Probably averages around 3 minutes between exercises and 1-2 minutes between sets, except supersets when it might be less. For Power Cleans I did my set then walk over to the Chin up bar, breathe for about 30 seconds or so, take a sip of my drink then set up to do the reps.

I got a nice bruise on my breastbone last night where the barbell had bumped me at the rack position, hurts a little still but the mark has gone. Silly me :D

20. Princess Haru

Given that I ran out of time to complete my workout last week I tried to stick to no more than 30 minutes per main lift (well 25 minutes as I had to account for warmup) but it didn't quite work out as planned :( Okay lets do this...

14/09/2011 - The Trinity SQ/BP/DL (1.5 hours)

1. 'Rotational Movements + Foam Rolling' - Just getting everything moving and rolling legs/hips, approx 5 minutes.
    2. 'Kettlebell Swings' - 1 set of 100 swings with 16kg KB (tough but at least the hamstring pain has gone)

3. 'Squats' - 1 set of 10 reps at 20kg; 1 set of 8 reps at 40kg and 50kg; 4 sets of 5 reps at 60kg (still getting back into these, need to religiously time my rest periods to get most out)
    4. 'Bench Press' - 1 set of 10 reps at 20kg and 30kg; 1 set of 8 reps at 35kg, 5 sets of 4 reps at 40kg (no spotter so staying within my boundaries with 40kg, hope to increase to 5 rep sets soon)
    5. 'Deadlift' - 1 set of 10 reps at 60kg, 1 set of 8 reps at 75kg, 1 set of 6 reps at 90kg (all with twin overhand grip), then 2 sets of 3 reps at 100kg (mixed grip)

More pleased and nothing more from the hamstring but had intended on doing another 2 sets of 3 reps on the deadlift but the guy on the desk wanted to finish early as no one else around and he was bored. I was annoyed :mad: but nothing I can do about it.