HarryF's Log: Posturing Up

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by HarryF, Jul 11, 2013.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Filipino boxing - any similarities with MT or Western?

2. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Yeah loads! There's a story that goes around the Inosanto line systems that during the American occupation of the Philippines the filipino style of boxing (hands up and close, light elusive footwork, all from knife fighting) influenced the American style of boxing at the time (which was the Gentleman Jim Corbett/John L Sullivan style with arms out in front, stand in front of each other until one goes down) to evolve towards what we see today. Although I'm not sure how much truth there is in this...

There are loads of styles which include different elements, rule sets (sometimes) or emphasis. Our style looks a lot like Western boxing in terms of regular punches, head movement and footwork, but add: elbows, hammer fists, finger jabs, slaps, shoulder bumps, head butts, pinching, spitting and biting. Add practicing the ability to fight from a state of surprise (although this doesn't look pretty and is never easy). Also damaging the limbs/hands of your opponent is a focus (knife fighters slice the limbs from long range) as well as striking the body and head. There is also close integration with the kicking aspects (all heights from foot stomps to head kicks - if it's there is there), trapping if you need to remove an object to enable hitting, grappling/off balancing, foot sweeps, takedowns and accessing weapons. I like it a lot :D

Monday kali class - empty hand outside entry to bridge, then options depending on momentum/opponent's reaction. A theme of elbow finishes.

Thursday gym:

Deads - 3x70, 2x100, 1x120, 1x140, 5x3x150 (not too shabby, calluses suffering a bit, I'll give them some care)

Press - 6x20, 6x30, 4x40, 2x50, 1x55, 7x47.5, 6x47.5, 5x47.5, 5x45, 4x45
    Chins - 6,6,5,5,4,4,4,3

Front squat - 3x40p, 3x50p, 3x60, 2x70, 1x80, 7x6x65 (30s rest, completed in 5m 34s)

Arms - 3 sets of 30+ reps, EZ curl and band pushdowns, no rest, mechanical drop when necessary

3. belltoller

Whoa!! I'll wager the idea of "finishing" an opponent takes on a whole new meaning, donnit?

You spar in that class often? lol.

Sounds fascinating.

4. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

When is overkill overkill? Not sure it ever is...

Yes my students and I spar, but carefully and we break it in to parts so we don't run out of training partners.
    Boxing gloves and shin pads for 'sport' style kickboxing/grappling (where we are all playing the roles of ourselves). Some of the other stuff needs a bit more approximation, so we tend to do it with a defined "attacker" role, with the attacker wearing more protective gear and the defender recognising that, at certain points, the attacker is or is not fighting back with full/partial ferocity.
    Pressure can be increased in multiple ways, sport sparring is one way and even that has a progression of pressure so that everyone is still learning at a decent rate without being overwhelmed. :D

5. belltoller

Sounds like it has a lot of depth - utilising various arts in a realistic Combatives SD and at the same time, there's enough resources/exp to train each art at the sport level, if I'm reading you right.

Is this a relatively common characteristic of Filipino Boxing schools or did you just happen to hit the miner's vein when you were digging for a place to train?

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I think I struck gold when I lived in Newcastle.
    When I moved away from Newcastle (where my instructor teaches) I tried about 6 or 7 other martial arts schools within an hour drive or so of here, 4 of them were filipino martial art schools (I'm not going to name them), and the rest were other MAs. None of the teachers had nearly the depth of knowledge, the ability themselves, nor the ability to teach others that my Newcastle instructor has except for one freestyle wrestling school that I trained at for a year and a half until it closed (boo!), so I trained a few guys in my garage/the park/an industrial estate car park for about 2 years before opening my own proper club in October last year, joining the Kali Sikaran family.
    I still meet up with my instructor 4-5 times per year and one of my mates from the Newcastle school (who's moved to London) for some work on my own training rather than teaching others, although I do enjoy the teaching side of it a lot!

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Saturday morning gym:
    Warm up etc
    Front squat - 5x40, 3x60, 3x70, 2x80, 5x3x90 (all sets pretty good)

Assistance circuit:
    Paused high bar 1 1/4 squat (pause first rep, come up 1/4, go back down and all the way up is 1 rep) - 3x5x80
    Standing db press - 3x12 with the 14s
    One arm db row - 3x12 with a 26

Pfft.

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Monday
    Long walk with the better half, 4.5 miles, about 620 kcal burned while walking, 3 doughnuts eaten while walking (600 kcal), massive pub lunch after (who knows! 1,000 kcal?). Proper bank holiday activity and still a decent surplus.

Kali class - verbal (it's always a bit awkward practicing aggressive, personal insults with people you like. It tends to trigger a "freeze" response in the unacclimatised, followed by an adrenaline dump which is what we want them to train through. If they're "tough", I get them to close their eyes and do it, maybe slap them (not in the face) a bit too, but there's a fine line!) Gross motor cover, crash and get back in the game. It was a bit rough and ready but this is towards the 'reality' end of our training.

Wednesday gym (frustrating day, wanted to lift something heavy and punch something)
    Chris Duffin warm up
    Deadlift - 3x70, 2x100, 1x130, 3x4x150 (all reps fast and easy today), max reps mini test, wasn't in the programme but felt like the right thing to do at the time: 11x150 (could have got two more reps but they would have been poor quality)

Did the kickboxing pad class immediately after deads - it was basic but fun, I need to get more hip through with right round kicks (left hip abduction). Perfect practice makes perfect!

9. belltoller

nowt but slightly loud (worse than shouting, really) and rude in one's face with all eyes looking on to make the bake toasty! Scundered more paralysing than being in a mad rage or even fear. Don't know why that seems to be the case, I suppose it the feelings of self-doubt that create the greatest sense of hesitancy in such situations.

That's excellent training you have going there - emotion control is so difficult to master; takes as much to simmer down if you need to as to find your bottle if your timid. As difficult for adults not accustomed as it is for children.

If we had something like that here - you'd have to triple the facilities to hold everyone.

How long altogether did you live there? Very unique place; such a city of contrasts. Manages to keep its self and not get swallowed up, assimilated by the Tyne n Wear - as so many places have by their surrounding metropolitan's and buroughs.

... or, so I think I may have overheard

Sounds you're doing your best to be the torch-bearer for something you found and want to preserve. Takes your kind of enthusiasm to make these things grow and flourish.

10. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Friday quick log:
    Back squat to BTN push press (do all the squat, then do overheads without re-racking) - 10x20, 10x40, 10x50
    BTN power jerk (I have low skill at this) - 5x60, 3x70, 2x75, 1x80, 1x85, 1x90, 1x95, fail x 100 (boo!)

Deadlift carries (pick it up, walk, put it down, repeat) - 12x100kg, about 5 metres, two or three breaths between "reps". Counts as cardio, right? :D

11. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Oops, backlog:

Saturday:
    Heavy barbell circuit class, EMOM, 5 rounds, 40 minutes:

Front squat - 5x70, 5x80, 3x4x90 (actual work)
    Push press - 5x5x60
    Deadlift - 5x110, 4x5x130
    TRX row - 5x10xBW
    Squat cleans - 5x4x60
    Handstand push ups/plyo push ups - 5x6 (double reps if plyo push ups)
    Battle rope slams 5x50
    Rest

Ab work after

Sunday - long walk with The Better Half (aw)

Monday kali class - empty hand hit the pads (HULK SMASH!), work our emergency cover when 'surprised' (eyes closed, get hit, open eyes, deal with it)

Wednesday gym

Chris Duffin warm up. I'm liking this, I seem to be gradually getting better ROM with my left hip abduction (from the Hip Aeroplanes), and I'm noticing a reduction in the amount my left ankle clicks...

Anyhoo

Deads - 4x70, 1x100, 1x110, 1x130, 1x140, 4x4x150 (back to a bit of a grind on these, still got the reps in)

Press - 5x30, 4x40, 2x50, 1x55, 1x57.5, 7x50, 7x47.5, 6x45
    Chins - 5,5,3,6,4,5,4 (poor consistency)
    BB row - 10x50, 10x47.5

Front squat (density) - 5x40p, 4x60p, 2x70, 1x80, 1x85, 6x6x67.5 (30s rest, 4m 45s total for all 6 sets, bit of elbow drop on the last few reps of most sets)

Arms
    DB hammer curls - 15x12s, 10x14s, 6x18s
    EZ curls/rope pushdown super death set - 5 sets, 15-30 reps per set.

Still got weedy arms though :cry:

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

You may often hear "fight or flight", but i think of it as four directions: "fight, flight, posture or submit". Freezing comes under the "submit" category, staying calm and in control of yourself is part of the "posture" category, leaving you the choice of fight or flight at your discretion (in theory).

Yeah it is tough to train yourself (and others) out of the socially ingrained reaction to clam up and eliminate all your own options. Self doubt, uncertainty and conflicting beliefs all contribute to indecision and lack of commitment to a course of action even if you are able to try to do something.

Building confidence acting under pressure in the gym aids the ability to act along your chosen course of action under pressure outside of the gym - at home, work, wherever there may be conflict of any magnitude, nonviolent or otherwise. If you know who you are and what you're capable of (especially under extreme pressure in the gym) then you're going to show up with so much more of yourself to every other situation.

I lived in the north east for 7 years (Durham and Newcastle), it's absolutely a microcosm/unique bubble of humanity. I miss it and i don't at the same time...

When were you there and where abouts?

I don't think of myself as bearing a torch or preserving something, more researching and exploring how I can promote it, train myself and others, and make it better if at all possible :)

13. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Pfft, I'm still being active but I'm just not good at logging at the moment... I'll try to catch up:

I've been doing the Chris Duffin squat warm up every morning and lunch time, and about 10 minutes karenza (shadow boxing) with sticks every day, 15 minutes yoga before bed. Seems alright.

Weekend before last: the Better Half was away, so about 12 hours kali with my training partner, he came over to stay from Lahndahn, we had beer and burgers and hit each other. It was good, we're ready for our grading exam on 5th June :D

I got a delivery of 10 pairs of sticks for my class. I'll keep the monsters :)

Wednesday last week:
    Front squat - work up to 4x4x90
    Pull ups - 7,5,5
    Back squat - 3x5x90
    "Boxercise" pad class after, meh, bit basic but a good sweat. Probably won't carry on with this one.

Crappy week.

Yesterday:
    Body weight: 91.4kg
    Duffin warm up
    Deads - 4x70, 2x100, 1x120, 1x140, 1x150, 5x4x150
    Press - 8x30, 4x40, 1x50, 1x55, 6x50, 7x45, 14x40
    Chins - 6 (oh), 6 (neutral), 6 (curl), 8 (curl)
    Front squat (was sharing the rack so no timed rest) - 6x40, 6x60, 12x70, 8x70, 7x70
    Hammer curl w/14s - 15, 12, 8
    Rope push down - 3 sets, 15-30 reps each.

Friday will be the last workout focused on volume accumulation at 75-85%. Next week I'll start upping the weight each time, with max reps plus back off (maybe just one set for deads, two for squat and press) to act as a simple peak towards a new 3rm/1rm.
    After that, switch movement variations, maybe even some bench press (bro!)

14. belltoller

Just saw this, lol. Had forgotten to turn on the subscription-notify. :eek:

Yep - one almost needs some sort of "live-fire" behavioural modification therapy.

It is deeply ingrained. All the more so as usually things occur/get out of hand in situations where group dynamics/Alpha hierarchies play such a large role in how we respond.

15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Today - Opposite Day!

Paused bench (slight arch, practice leg drive) - 5x47.5 (worked in with someone else), 5x57.5 (ditto), 5x70 (it's mine now!), 5x75, 3x80 (last rep a bit slow, but didn't stop, glutes stayed on the bench)

1 arm db row (dead stop and squeeze at top) - 6x32, 4x6x40

Flat DB squeeze press (max ROM, pause etc) - 11x24s, 8x24s, 7x24s, 15x18s

Hammer curls - 7x18s, 6x18s, 11x14s, 7x14s

Catch my own reflection in the mirror, flex and wink, and I'm out of there :D

16. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Short session today, maybe 25 minutes:
    Duffin warm up
    Front squat - 6x40p, 4x60p, 2x70p, 1x80p (felt good, no hip shift), 5x4x90 (no pause, no grind :))
    Face pulls - 3x20 (varying height, good squeeze)
    EZ curl - 2 drop sets: 2x 9(bar +20), 13(bar +10), 50 (bar only)

Try to reduce chesticles soreness from yesterday:
    Push ups - 30 total
    Hindu push ups - 30 total

17. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Monday gym:
    Duffin warm up
    A few sets of face pulls
    Deads - 3x70, 1x100, 1x120, 1x140, 1x150 (DOH - ooo, grip pr), 9x152.5 (dead stop, hook grip), 9x145
    BB rows - 3x5x70, curl grip
    EZ curls - 50x(bar+10), 25x (bar+10), 25x (bar only)

Kali class in a bit - double stick sinawalis with empty hand applications :D

18. belltoller

all your weights assumed to be in kg, Harry?

19. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Yes, unless otherwise specified - I think my grippers are the only things I have that are in pounds (lb)

20. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Damn dude, you're starting to get some decent volume with those deadlifts...