Haribon Dumog?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Crucible, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Hi, Can anyone give me some info on this system( chenstyle-hint, hint)? Is it mostly standing grappling? ground grappling? Does it have weapon submissions? Is it taught as drills or like a BJJ class with people working to get the lock/submission? Could you also say something about the background of the art? The website says the founder studied FMA with various intructors but doesn't go into anymore detail than that besides his learning dumog as a boy in Panay. Thanks

2. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

Guro Dan

Hi,
    Guro Dan amalgamated all of his knowledge into the Estokada and Haribon Dumog styles. Regarding his instructors you would have to ask him.
    When we trained we started with rolls and breakfalls, knee walks, bear walks, swastika, then we flowed these movements together. Then we did quatro cantos and tres puntas drills. This progressed into shadow grappling.
    We worked on some techniques after this warmup and then we took a little break while Dan discussed concepts and points of concern regarding the first techniques. After water break it was more work on the techniques and then Dan would either work them off an entry from standing, or a different position on the ground, or link them like a flow drill.
    AWESOME is all I can say!! Blessed, am I!
    As he explained Dumog, it was based on the weapons movements. Weapons move in angles on a three dimensional plane and so does your body when you grapple. Think of the movements, such as angling, zoning, checking, trapping, etc. that you would do while executing weapons skills and move it to your ground game. Think of combinations of angles, combinations of techniques and you get an inkling of what he was showing us.
    Sorry for the aggrandizing story here. This is my only creative writing outlet.
    Guro Dan wrote a book on some of the aspects of his Dumog style that would probably illuminate a lot of what Im trying to say here.
    In the book you will find a lot of entries off of weapons that are translated to empty hand, or panantukan/sikaran that is translated to Dumog.

So, Haribon Dumog has the standard fma standing grappling stuff, as outlined in the book. However, there is also the ground game that he showed us.
    Its extremely well rounded as a grappling style with a lot of sweeps, reversals, throws, submissions and we also integrated weapons into it every now and then ie knife grappling, stick grappling. We worked with guard, half guard, scarf hold, mount, back mount, and side mount positions. We worked on transitions between the positions and possible submissions from every position. What some of my seniors showed me was that the positions and submissions are all accessible no matter what position you start from. So you can start from a particular position as a reference point and move into submissions or other positions that you might not realize are there, or possible.
    However, all of our movements were always linked back to principles and movements that you would use while standing. The only difference is your power generation and mobility has to come from somewhere else because you are basically working like you have your back against a wall and gravity just decided to do a 90 degree turn.
    Anyhow, its midnight and 6 o clock comes early. I hope I have explained myself properly. As a student, my perspective is always open to reassessment and renewal. Im not the best of the batch from the group but I was there and had my eyes opened on a lot of occasions.
    If you have any more questions please pm me and I will pass the question on to Dan and he can probably give you a better explanation than I can.
    Regards,
    Gordon

3. chenstyle44

aklan

Hi one more thing that I just remembered. Guro Dan grew up in Aklan province in the Visayas.
    My Phillipine geography is a bit rough. Not sure if this is in Panay.
    Guro Dan started training in Dumog when he was eight and learned from various sources during his boyhood. He lists his grandfather as a major influence in his development as a martial artist and his founding of the systems.
    Id have to ask Dan about details surrounding his Dumog instructors.
    Also, we sparred a lot during grappling class. Most of the stuff we did resembled a free style wrestling session with times where we were locked up in guard or half guard. Then we would tap each other out if we didnt run out of gas. ;)
    Gord

4. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Thanks, sounds like good stuff. Can you go into more detail about the knife grappling? When did he start teaching dumog to the public?

5. chenstyle44

Knife grappling

Hi,
    Sorry about the delay.
    Basically, worked the standard grappling stuff empty hand style and then introduced a weapon into the scenario.
    The game changes because you arent thinking of being stabbed when doing sport bjj. So there is a lot of movement towards a two limbs on one scenario with the hands or legs, making sure you have control of the weapon limb pinning it, or sweeping the knife guy out and zoning towards his non weapon side.
    As well, there is opportunity for disarms on the ground as well. The majority of stuff I like to do is based on the chicken wing lock.
    In regards to standing stuff there is a bit of overlap to the espada y daga tie ups you usually see, but the 'range' is a bit tighter. The free hand guides and traps and the knife hand hooks. The hook scenario is used when throwing also. ie. hooking the head/neck on the hip throws. I like to guide the takedowns towards the bad guy falling on the knife.
    baby is crying bye bye.
    Gord

6. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Thanks Gord, look forward to working out with some of you guys in the future.