Hard to find cooking ingredients ... the list is getting smaller!

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Rebo Paing, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

When I first came to this God forsaken country (sorry Ozzie's :D ) I couldn't even find trasi ... only to find out that the locals had adopted the Tionghoa naming of belachan.
    Ok-lah, now I can make sambal trasi, but it was always not quite right because .... there was NO brambang merah!. ASTAGA!!!
    Now I find out that they call it Thai onion ... Ok-lah ... mow I can make sambal trasi and imitation martabak.
    Then I find gereh (dried fish) ... aduh-biyung baby, I'm having rapture after 30 years :cry: !

Speaking of which, I remember coming home from the alun-alun in Jogja after watching Fu Sheng strutting his stuff against the evil Manchurian's .. hehe .... and I'd buy a martabak at a warung with bicycle wheels ... aahhh those were the days!

So, I celebrate finding these ingredients. I make martabak ... nearly as good as I remember! Have nasi and sambal trasi ... and gereh ... but the mix is not traditional because I am greedy lol!

Forgive an old FART ... I'm ngelamun about my youth, and I've had too much whiskey ... and because I'm half tanked I can say thank you for your interest in silat, where-ever you are, we are all one! ... just don't remind me tomorrow that I said that hehe :eek: !

Drambui ampuh banget :love: !!!!

Salam
    Krisno

2. Rebo Paing

Dont' forget tempe

And I meant to mention ... my wife is Danish ... and she can make tempe ... just like tempe Kediri (ok ok Kediri is famous for tahu, but tempe Kediri is good too).
    But she hasn't made it for too long. Now I try to cajole her :p hehe! Maybe we make tempe again soon.

Mas Tris, can you get tempe in US?
    Bobster, Steve, Gajah, Suleiman, Pekir ... have you tried tempe goreng, or sambal goreng tempe?

Salam
    Krisno

P.S. Hot damn Drambui is good and so is Akravit (Danish Schnapps).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  3. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Got a question about martabak. I've seen two versions. One was sort of like a flattened lumpia filled with meat, onions and flavor. The other was huge, filled with chocolate, sugar, sweet sticky something and probably enough calories to power a UN famine relief program.

Which sort are you referring to?

4. tellner

tellner Valued Member

I'm not Tristan, but yes. You can get it in just about any upscale supermarket, Asian grocery store or place that sells organic and health foods.

5. Rebo Paing

Tellner!!! :D
    Sorry my friend ... of course I know you on this forum as well! Are you in Australia?

The martabak is the gurih one (with onioins etc ... not sweet!). We eat it with a lalap (side dish of raw vegies, in this case it's specifically raw lombok/ chilli).

Salam
    Krisno

6. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Exactly who do you think you're talking to, Kembang?? I'm an Indonesian trapped in the body of a Bule'!!!!

Ya, di America we have tempe goreng, AND sambal goreng tempe, as well as ALL the ingredients to make Sambal Terasi to spread over everything I eat!! The rendang over here would knock you out, believe it or not! Come over to Seattle sometime & I'll take you to the Malay Satay Hut, a GREAT restaurantfor Malay-Chinese-Indonesian food. I've been told my Martabak ( I make both kinds) is comparable to the Javanese, although it's not my best dish.

7. Rebo Paing

Rahayu Bobbe, I am jealous ... and you're on for Seattle ... if ever I make it there.
    Just don't give me Bourbon ok? It is very bad drink .. hehe.

I am unfortunately no great cook :cry: .
    I try to remember and reconstruct from taste memory ... and sometimes I try to get my mother to teach me ... but I'm afraid my talent for cooking is minimal.

Hey! today I saw fresh whole DURIAN at the supermarket ... at $25 a kilo ... maybe I save up first.

Salam
    Krisno

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Hey Krisno!

I'm in Oregon, about two hours South of Bobbe. Or forty five minutes the way he drives. The gurih martabak is the one I like. The other sort nearly put me into diabetic coma. Durian is a lot cheaper here. The SE Asian groceries have it for $6-8/kilo on good days.

Speaking of Indo food... Bobbe will you be able to make it down before Memorial Day weekend? And will we need to come up and kidnap you for Guru Plinck's workshop? :)

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Update. I am pleased to report that tirasi is kosher! Normally shrimp is treif (unclean, forbidden to Jews), but the Sages have ruled that when something is so decomposed that a dog will not eat it it has ceased to be whatever unclean thing it used to be. I gave some to my dog. She wouldn't eat it, but she rolled in it. Sambal tirasi here I come!

10. Rebo Paing

That's hilarious!!

ROFLOL!!!
    That's very funny Tellner :D

Salam

11. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

He off course, I'm a dutch-indo

Salam Krisno,

We have Indonesian toko2 on about every streetcorner downhere, I'm in the Netherlands/Amsterdam. I don't cook really well but luckily my old and respected mother, brother and sisters know just right how to make this food, alongside with the best rendang and all those other meals, the list to much to long to mention. I will surely accept a plate of rendang from Bobster next time I'm over in Seattle too though.

And you're right when you visit him it would be better to bring along a fine bottle of the real stuff, a true single malt :D

Pekir

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

You live in Armidale... No wonder you cant find anything :p.

13. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Come over to Casa Lobos Negros y Espada

Pekir, Kembang, et al: Please feel free to stop by my place if you ever find yourselves in my neck o’ the woods for some life-altering rending. Of course, what would rending be without kelapa nasi goreng, kopi tarik putih panas (or Bandrek panas? I have it, y’know!!), ikan gurame dan sambal terasi, roti and of course, pisang goreng?

I’ll tell you what it would be: NOTHING! So, come on over & I’ll start cooking. Also, I have a collection of fine single malts, rum, tequila and bourbon (KEMBANG!!!) Also beer, probably the best beverage with rending pedas.

Todd: I don’t think I’ll be able to come over before the seminar, but you can DEFINITELY save a place for me on Labor Day weekend!! I’ll bring the Pusaka goodies. Also, I have a friend who wants to attend as well. His name is Karol Krauser, his bio is on my website. I can vouch for him, if my word makes any difference. He went through Victor’s curriculum with me when I did it, and is an awesome Silat player. He also has a lot of the Mande Muda curriculum as well. Also, if Maha Guru Plinck is okay with it, I think some of my students were interested in going, if it would be open for them. Let a brotha know.

14. rizal

rizal Valued Member

thank god I'm still in Indonesia.
    Just last night I have some Sweet Martabak (Martabak Manis). Since my mom and sisters are cheese freaks, I bought the split one: one half cheese, one half mesis and grounded nuts. Nyum!
    I think Martabak Gurih is another name for Martabak Telor (Egg Martabak)/Martabak Asin (salty martabak) yes? I'm personally prefer the India version although the Bangka one is almost as good.
    concerning sambal or chili in general, I remember my mom, which is a full-blooded Minangkabau, almost tear her hair out when she accompanied my dad during his study at Tulsa. She really likes Egg Balado or Terong Balado but the ingredients available there simply didn't come up to her standard (no wonder, even to this day, my backyard is more like grocery shop than a yard, its full of terong, bawang, and some fruit trees like duren, rambutan, pisang (tanduk AND raja), and mangos.

15. Rebo Paing

Rahayu Rizal, you've got durian in your back yard !?

Maybe I volunteer to be gardener to look after your kebun :D.

Durian (or duren) is indeed the king of all fruits. The smoothness of Baileys Irish Cream (without the hangover) the satisfaction of experiencing the ultimate food delight.

I tell everyone a story. One day when I was still in SMP (in Walikukun), I came home from school and could smell the beautiful intoxicatingly heavenly aroma of durian wafting up the track ... So I followed the wonderful scent in all the way to the house thinking, Bapak has bought durian ... must have bought a lot cause smell is very strong! Durian season must be early this year ... hmmm my mouth drooling with expectation.
    I walk into the kitchen ... where is the durian? I ask.

For a moment my father was confused ... then he said he'd been cleaning the chicken shed (kandang pithik) ... and had broken a nest of telor bosok (rotten eggs) :bang:

It's all in the mind ... so they say :eek:

Salam my friends

16. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

What you can find in Armidale is loads of wild bayam in the bush. But if you get bayam and want to make simple healing sayur bening you need bawang merah and temu-kunci. Bawang merah is easy enough and shalots fine if you can't find them but nothing can even pretend to be temu-kunci. Nowhere in London can I find it.

Bram.

17. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Hey I was sending PMs with recipe for rendang & soto not so long ago ;) .

:) Yeah we make tempeh at home. A friend brings us the 'bacteria' from Indonesia to ferment the stuff. I'm an expert soybean de-husker :)

We can get most stuff from an Asian supermarket but kemiri were hard to track down.

18. Kiai Carita

kemiri is abundant in UK!

Hi Gajah, any self respecting Thai shop sells candle-nut, the same Robinson Crusoe's kemiri... but already shelled. Temu kunci is what seems to be impossible to track - it seems the Thais do not use it and there are not enough Jawanese in the global Kampung Melayus to import it.

There used to be a micro-biologist who used to do some work with BBC World Service who made the best tempe I have ever eaten. His name was Jonathan Tempe but I think he doesn't do it anymore. The tempe you find in London supermarkets is either frozen or tinned and both are not the same taste as the asli.

Gajah when you come down to London be sure to bring me a tenners worth of your home-brew tempe! I can make a nice sambal-goreng-kering-tempe with palm sugar and chillies!

Warm salaams...
    Bram.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  19. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Temu kunci, they have this in our nearest asian supermarket the Thais do use it but not so much as galangal/laos they call it kra-chai. The latin name is Kaempferia!

This stuff?

Attached Files:

20. Kiai Carita

Kunci, kencur...

No not kra-chai...those are too long but just maybe you are right... I will try them, sometimes the Thai versions of things are bigger than the Jawanese. How about kencur, what is that in Thai shops? Kaempheria Galanga is kencur, no? Laos there is alot of. Very useful to keep meats firm while cooking to get tender and also can cure panu. Now if you are a real Indo-phile you got to know panu. Very rare I believe in the UK isn't it.

Salam,
    Bram.