Hapkido techniques

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by knightvision, Mar 17, 2014.

1. knightvision

knightvision New Member

Hi all,

Curious if anyone has specific information on hapkido techniques, like kote gaieshi (outside wrist lock) is performed when attacked by someone yielding a sword, and how that would translate to unarmed. I'm primarily interested in knowing your thoughts on how the sword attacks translated to the techniques seen in hapkido classes.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Are you asking about defending against a sword using kote gaeshi?

Or are you interested in the actual movements of the technique and how it relates to sword use?

3. knightvision

knightvision New Member

Yes, both really. Additionally, how would you defend against a swordsman with shiho nage, ikkajo, nikajo, sankyu, etc,

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

By not letting him draw it. I recommend ambush.

5. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

It sounds like you are asking about "muto dori" (I'm going to let you look it up) and honestly it would most likely have little chance of working against anyone with a little skill with the sword.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Honestly, I don't think unarmed vs sword is a very good idea. Hapkido does have some techniques to use, but I've never really seen very many demonstrated in a manner that looked realistic. If someone can post some 'good' Hapkido vs Sword videos, I'd love to see them.

That said, I love the way GM Myeong Jae Nam (of the IHF Hapkido/Hankido group) does them. He shows the concepts well and tries them out with speed. He works a lot with universal concepts that should be relevant to unarmed or armed techniques. Check out the first few minutes of this video for some of the sword stuff. Keep in mind he is a Hapkido Grandmaster with quite a bit of influence from Aikido, so it is a bit of a mix.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBj_MpxfURg"]Hankido demonstration by Myung Jae-nam kuksanim (old VHS tape) - YouTube[/ame]

7. Seth T.

Seth T. New Member

The first time I can recall hearing the phrase "defense against sword" in Sin Moo Hapkido is after learning the basics for dan bong.

I don't see why a lot of our empty hand knife defense stuff wouldn't be useful against someone with a sword, but against a blade with that much reach I figure the odds of being successful get a lot worse.

8. Dean Winchester

That video is pretty pointless when you consider how the sword wielder is using the weapon. He didn't really have a clue about using the weapon and was practically throwing himself at the GM.

9. Dean Winchester

The chap with the sword has that much control over the distance, timing and tactical landscape, yes I've just made that phrase up :D , that you have to be very very good and have a similar level of understanding to stand a chance.

10. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

the sword guy is trying to hit the GM with a shomen ate. look carefully, the space where the GM's head previously occupied is the place where the sword guy's hands SWING DOWN. it negates the benefits of the sword, namely longer (and safer) range and cutting damage ability.

if the sword guy really attacked using the blade part of the practice sword, the GM couldn't do his fancy moves, wrong range for grappling and throwing maneuvers. however, THAT is the reality when facing a sword. getting somebody close to you when you are using the weapon is bad for weapon retention, thus you keep them at a range where you are free to damage them while negating their ability to do the same to you.

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Yeah... so?

I just like the demo.

As I implied when I posted it, I don't think the sword stuff is that realistic, practical, or necessarily effective, but it looks cool. I don't think there's much out there that is realistic, practical, or effective in the realm of unarmed vs katana. However, for what the OP seems to be looking for, it fits the bill pretty well, I think.

Me? I prefer to run or shoot if there's a sword! :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  12. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Hapkido sword disarms? Well,...you just never do know what's going to come in handy. Here's a part of a story from 1997 that was in the Seattle Time. Seems like a fire house and ladder work better than Hapkido.

Sword-Wielding Man Is Arraigned

SEATTLE - A man who held downtown police at bay with a sword for 11 hours last spring was arraigned yesterday on charges carrying combined maximum penalties of more than three years in jail.

...The 11-hour downtown standoff began shortly before lunch hour April 13, when he began threatening people with a 3-foot samurai-style sword. A block was evacuated and transit buses were deployed to provide a barrier between him and hundreds of onlookers who gathered as he was sprayed with a fire hose, and dazed by bright lights.

Wearing military fatigues and sunglasses, Allison stood firm until he was knocked down with blasts of water from fire hoses. Officers used a ladder to pin him against a wall and then wrested the sword from him.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014