Hapkido in sydeny

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by the artist, Jul 19, 2013.

1. the artist

the artist Valued Member

Hey guys I am interested in learning hapkido
    But I do not know any good schools and the ones I know are extremely far from where I live.

I live in parramatta, so do you know where the best hapkido school near parramatta area ?

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

What schools are in your area (names or links)?

3. Twisting

Twisting Valued Member

you can always look at federations that seem interesting and see if they have something in sydney. since it's a major city, i'd be surprised if there weren't branches there. and they should have stuff up on youtube these days.

4. the artist

the artist Valued Member

5. Thomas

Looks like it is under the auspices of Master Geoff Booth. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet, but his reputation is stellar. I've heard awesome reviews of his seminars, his skills, and his DVDs. I've never heard a negative thing about him, only compliments on his teaching bstyle and generosity.

I'd give the school a shot.

6. the artist

the artist Valued Member

I do not know if it is under Geoff booth. but if you believe it is good and effective for self defence and that they train well I will check out the school

thanks Thomas

7. Twisting

Twisting Valued Member

his clips look solid. he seems to be legitimate from what i've seen. i have more faith when the instructors aren't afraid to post videos of their work.

8. the artist

the artist Valued Member

he is good but he is not the instructor of the school

9. nocturnal

nocturnal Valued Member

There is one in Croydon that does demo every Korean/Chinese New Year and other festivals. From what I've seen, their students look skillful, but then again, probably only the best students are selected to join the demo team. A friend of mine used to train there. If it's not too far for you, it's probably worthwhile to check this school as well.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  10. the artist

the artist Valued Member

can I have the name of the school or the link please?

11. Thomas

It can't hurt to check it out - see if they will offer some free sessions. Explain what you are looking for and see if they are offering anything in line with what you want.

On the history page, it mentions Geoff Booth as part of the lineage, I am assuming that the instructor is a student of his. It would be worthwhile to ask.

12. nocturnal

nocturnal Valued Member

I prefer not to post a link here. Just Google 'Hapkido Croydon NSW' and you'll find the school's website on Page 1.

13. Kwan Nyom HKD

Kwan Nyom HKD New Member

Hi,

The Dojang in Parramatta is run by BSBN Tina (3rd Degree Black Belt) and she is one of my direct students. The style of Hapkido that my organisation teaches is a little more self defence/street aimed than others. But as with all things it is important that you like the Teacher and the environment of the school.

I would recommend dropping by and trying a free lesson to check out the class.

If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to assist.

Regards

Geoff Booth

PS. Thomas, thank you for the kind words. I do lot of travelling and teaching for Hapkido so I get the chance to meet and spend time with a big chunk of the Hapkido community, I have yet to bump into you on my travels but possibly in the future. I will be at GM Timmerman's 40th Anniversary event next month and I will also be back in the USA teaching throughout November as well as attending the large seminar in PA with DJN Ji.

14. Thomas

Greetings Master Booth - it's a pleasure to "see" you here.

I am hoping to meet you at some point, I've heard rave reviews of your seminars (especially the dan bong work) and it seems that, even though you do a huge number of seminars all around the world, that I've just seemed to have missed anything remotely close to me. Someday, I hope.

Regardless, you have my highest respect for the quality of resources you produce, the staggering number of seminars you do, and for the consistently "positive" face you put on the Hapkido community. Thank you!

15. the artist

the artist Valued Member

thanks Thomas for the advice
    and
    thanks grandmaster booth, I am extremely interested in learning hapkido so I will check out the dojang as soon as possible and hopefully it is what I am looking for :)
    thanks
    I offer you my gratitude