Hapkido in Milwaukee area?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by OwlMAtt, Jan 16, 2012.

1. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Everything I've seen and read about hapkido looks very interesting, but I can't find any place near me--except for taekwondo places that teach a little hapkido as a supplement to their taekwondo program. Is anyone aware of a hapkido school in or near Milwaukee, WI, USA?

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

There are no established Hapkido schools in Milwaukee. You might find someone willing to teach you on the side.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

google only reveals a place just over the illinois border, midwest hapkido. granted, an hour away from you, but no doubt the gentleman that runs the store is knowledgable. bruce sims, mapper.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

matt....maybe with your aikido experience, another striking art might be useful? say boxing or muay thai? i found that going from hapkido to aikido, there were many similarities. except for the lack of overt atemi in aikido. just a thought.

5. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

6. OwlMAtt

I have checked out American Dojo. The place just screams "McDojo" to me. I could be wrong, I guess, but my first impression was not a good one.

@Giovanni:
    Thanks for the advice. In the long-term I may do just what you are suggesting.

7. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Don't know anything about American Dojo, other than google- but there is also a lot of Hwarang do in Wisconsin. Madison has some Hapkido, too, so you might want to call the folks at white tigher martial arts (in madison) to see if they know of someone.

www.kimwhitetiger.com

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

If I remember correctly, Master Dean Konley used to be (maybe still is) affiliated with Combat Hapkido and Hanminjok Hapkido ... I've never met him but I recall hearing good things about him second hand.

He has a lot of videos up on Youtube under the name masterkonley. Here's one:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZXDp9JNnY&feature=related"]Hapkido for Green, Purple, Blue & Brown for testing cycle 2-5-8 - YouTube[/ame]
    Might be worth trying a few classes with him.

9. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I have known Master Konley for several years now. He would be a valid choice. I don't think he is affiliated with Combat Hapkido though. He is a Hanminjok Hapkido Association member.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  10. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Make the trip to Chicago

Come down to Chicago when you get the chance, the drive will certainly be worth your time!

Try a class at "American Dojo" - then try one with us and feel the difference!

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I just assumed he was affiliated with the ICHF at some point - I think he hosted a couple of seminars in 1998 and 1999. His website says he earned his first dan in Hapkido under a Master Cho in 1986 and then earned his 4th-6th dan through GM In Sun Seo (whom it says he met in 1999). Anyone know who he trained under between 1986 and 1999?

12. OwlMAtt

That's good to hear. The name of the place and the image presented by the web site was setting off McDojo alarms for me.

Thanks, but Chicago is just too far away.

13. iron_ox

I can understand how it may seem far in some respects, but I think it depends what you are looking for - for day to day training, it might be a hike, but I travel to Korea to train...if you would like to come down to Chicago and train, the door is always open.

14. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I know I'm late to the party but this is not good weapon work at all:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LhVdP73K9I&list=UUkcNO2-V3-YrPO7TBtPr1mw&index=4&feature=plcp"]AMERICAN DOJO EXTREME TEAM - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wpwBoaFszI&list=UUkcNO2-V3-YrPO7TBtPr1mw&index=2&feature=plcp"]Bo Staff Form - YouTube[/ame]

It looks like they are having a lot of "fun" but again its not good. Also IMO in watching their videos it does appear they are trying to be everything to all people.

15. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Actually I would run or back out slowly if you are there :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYf9eWN4BAI&feature=BFa&list=UUkcNO2-V3-YrPO7TBtPr1mw&lf=plcp"]Student Creed American Dojo - YouTube[/ame]

16. iron_ox

I agree, it does look like they are having fun. Not at all related to the three arts advertised at the school, Taekwondo, Hapkido, or Ju-jitsu. And I will just add this, I am curious about the listed arts, because of the listed instructors, but the weapons stuff looks like they were learned off an XMA video, but they do appear to be enjoying themselves! Apparently filling the void in Waukeshaw.

17. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I will go so far as to say I'm suspect rather than curious.

The site talks about "jujutsu lessons" with no real details about his training history. He even had a gratuitous mention of training under "Carlson Gracie" listed on his website with no real details too.

Then watching the videos it's pretty clear but then again that's just my opinion and we know what those are worth.

18. iron_ox

I know more about traditional Ju-Jitsu than BJJ, but the listed training seems to come more from Mike Swain, who is an Olympic Judo Competitor correct? And yes, a mention for Carlson Gracie with no mention of time in training or rank.

Frankly the name gets me a bit, American Dojo, when the primary art is Taekwondo, its odd.

19. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Yes the site is mixing a couple things together and it does appear to be a bit misleading (I know on a martial arts website that is shocking). However, even if we give him the benefit of the doubt (maybe someone wrote/designed it for him), the videos don't lie.

20. iron_ox

I don't know enough about Taekwondo to judge those videos, the Hapkido looked video average as it were, but the weapons stuff is entertaining to say the least!