Hapkido Demo

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Coges, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Hi Guys,

The link below is a demo two of my instructors did a couple of years ago. Demo was done at the end of a big grading for a bit of entertainment for both the students and parents and friends. Hope you enjoy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zETbYwPSx8c"]YouTube - H.I.A. Hapkido Demo[/ame]

Cheers.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think most of us understand the difference between a demo ("entertainment" as you say) and "self defense", but when i see in the first sequence the defender giving a blind jumping back kick (no seriously, he's not even looking where he's kicking), i cringe a little.

combat art indeed.

3. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Point taken but if you watch closely you'll see he is looking over his shoulder (pause at 11 seconds and you'll see his head turned to look over the shoulder). Having said that, he has just blocked a kick, is in mid air already and has kicked within a split second. Where's the attacker going to go in that time after having his first kick blocked?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. Giovanni

highly entertaining demo. that's what demos are for, right? entertainment. some of the moves are incredibly acrobatic. wow!

you're a student at the school? what is the school? is it melbourne hapkido? i just did a google search.

5. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Hey Giovanni,

Sorry mate your post sounds a little sarcastic. You are right though. Demo's are for entertainment. I made that point incase someone came back and said "but that won't work in the street".

Anyway, I am a student of that school. We're part of the HIA which is at www.hapkidoia.com and I train at the Glen Waverley school at http://glenwaverlyhapkido.blinkweb.com/index.html.

Cheers,

Cam.

6. Giovanni

no sarcasm, i meant it, the moves are incredible.

7. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Ah sweet. Sorry, it's always hard to tell in text form. I'll pass your feedback on. They're two 4th Dans from my club.