Hapkido Check In

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Thomas, Sep 23, 2003.

1. tswolfman

tswolfman New Member

Sorry I live in North Central Ohio, And I just want to broaden my Expereince

2. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello,

I believe that either JR WEST or Rudy Timmerman have groups near you - goole both of them and they might be able to point you in the right direction...

3. Hapkidoin P

Hapkidoin P Valued Member

Hi TS,

How close are you to Bay Village,Ohio?

4. tswolfman

tswolfman New Member

Not Sure dont recognize it i live east of Marion, South of Mansfield

5. Hapkidoin P

Hapkidoin P Valued Member

Well if you find out,here's a great Dojang.

Great Lakes Institute of Hapkido
    628 Dover Center Road
    Bay Village, Ohio 44060

email: glhapkido@aol.com

Ph; (440) 899- 0121

The instructor is Lois Lannum,and he is a class act,and a very good teacher.
    Good luck! :)

PS. Both Mr. Lannum and Mr. Timmerman are in the same org. ;) and I hold them both in very high esteem.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Welcomes to Alexander, hollywood1340 and tswolfman! I am always so excited to see many Hapkido artists here from so many different backgrounds. The sharing that comes from this is really inspiring!

1. Thomas - New York (USA) / Moo Moo Kwan IHF (Myeong Jae-nam's IHF)and ICHF (Combat Hapkido)

2. John_IHF - Florida (USA) / IHF

3. Jointlock - Lincoln, NE (USA) / Shin Koo Hapkido

4. SilverQ - Alberta (Canada)/ Hapkido

5. SaJooNim - Lincoln, NE (USA) / Shin Koo Hapkido

6. Kosh (Marc) - NE England/ Hapkido

7. Paratus (Mike) - Darien, Illinois (USA)/ Hapkido (Wol Ge Kwon)

8. Chan Fan - Regina/ Jin Pal Hapkido

9. Chris from CT - Connecticut (USA)/ Jung Ki Kwan Hapkido

10. shadow warrior (Keith Stewart) - Toronto, Ontario (Canada)/ Hapkido

11. hapkiyoosool (Master Jeff Allen) - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyoosool

12. Hapki_18 (Yoky) - Alhambra, California (USA)/ Jang Mu Won Hapkido

13. Coomazen (Mel) - Atlanta, Georgia (USA)/ Hapkido (Black Knight Dojang)

14. SilverDragons - Panama City, Panama (Central America) / Song Moo Kwan Hapkido

15. WorldChampTKD - Ranco Cucamonga, California (USA) / Hapkido

16. HeadKick44 - Virginia (USA) / Hapkido

17. blessed samurai - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (USA) / HoShinDo Hapkido

18 BSR - Missouri (USA) / Hapkido (United States Korean Martial Arts Federation)

19. Bob1770 - Nebraska (USA) / Hapkido

20. mike-IHF (Michael Merchant) - Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyusul (under Master Jeff Allen)

21. moogong - Virginia (USA) / Hapkido

22. kcs - Clemson, South Carolina (USA) / Hapkido (Wol Ge Kwan)

23. Poorly knee - London (England) / Hapkido (under Tammy Parlour)

24. Xerxes - Atlanta, Georgia (USA) / Hapkido (Black Knight Dojang)

25. milt10n - Illinois (USA) / Hapkido (WolGeKwan)

26. Hapkido - Saint Louis, Missouri (USA) / Hapkido (under Yong Sue Rho)

27. Rod (Rodrigo Molina) - El Monte, California (USA) / Jang Mu Won Hapkido (under Master Les Connard)

28. davjohns - Trussville, AL (USA) / Combat Hapkido

29. Master Macdonal (Ian MacDonald) - Calgary, Alberta (Canada) - Hapkido

30. sputnik - Calgary, Alberta (Canada) / Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido under Master Wade Langin (Flying Eagle Hapkido)

31. Bobby from TX - Denton, Texas (USA) / Hapkido under Chief Instructor Michael Nestor

32. nj howard - New Jersey (USA) / Jung Ki Kwan Hapkido

33. whip - Stratford, Connecticut (USA) / Hapkido (Huang's)

34. JamesD / Hapkido (US Hapkido Federation under Mr. Don Burns)

35. bvermillion - Great Lakes (area), North America - Hapkido

36. doshim (Jon Davis) - Venice, California (USA) - Hapkido (under GM Bong Soo Han); Director of Operations for GM Bong Soo Han's IHF

37. Tittan - Trondheim (Norway) / Hapkido

38. KingRippa - Springfield, Illinois (USA) / Hapkido (US Hapkido Fed.)

39. Oldie / Combat Hapkido

40. BackFistMonkey - (somewhere around Ill) / Hapkido

41. Jiraiya - Atlanta, Georgia (USA) / Hapkido (Black Knight Dojang)

42. AmericanHKD (Stuart Rosenberg) / SinMoo Hapkido and Ulji Kwan Hapkido

43. CHON-TU KWAN / Combat Hapkido

44. evilkingston - Belgium / IHF (Myong Jae-nam) Hapkido

45. Hapkidoin_P - Merrillville, IN (USA) / Hapkido (Hanminjok Hapkido Association and World Kido Federation)

46. Blade3 - Monrovia, CA (USA) / Jang Mu Won Hapkido

47. dngrruss (Russell) - California (USA) / Hapkido (GM Yi, Jong Hak)

48. Coreo (Corey) - Va Beach (VA, USA) / Hapkido

49. Romulus - Melbourne, Australia / HIA Hapkido (under Greg Walters)

50. iron ox (Kevin Sogor) - Chicago, IL (USA) / Hapkido

51. Alexander - England / (Duk Moo) Hapkido

52. hollywood1340 - Missoula, MT (USA) / Combat Hapkido

53. tswolfman - Ohio / World Traditional Hapkido Alliance

Note: If you want anything added or changed, just let me know. I base the posting only on what the poster wrote in the "check-in" post itself. Thanks.

7. delete me

delete me New Member

Hi All

Just joined and spotted the Hapkido checki-in.

My name is Lawrence Dyke. I started Hapkido in 1995 when I was looking for a martial arts class in Yeovil, Somerset. I wanted to be able to walk around in Yeovil and feel safe. Walked into the Dojang thinking it was Karate :) and was introduced to a chap called Rick Lee who, at the time was 1st dan Hapkido under GM Fred Adams of International Hapkido.

Weeelllll...........10 years, nearly, a lot of bruises and pain, later He is now 3rd dan soon to take 4th I think, and I have my 2nd dan. I have had the fortunate oportunity to have been taught by Mr Adams, his son Nial and Master John Patterson as well.

My Dojang is in Swindon, Wiltshire, I have about 10 students on my books and we train every Friday evening. I also instruct privately and run self defense classes for ladies.

8. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

hi lawrence, nice to have you here. your story is a little like mine... i was a ji do kwan student with about 5 years' experience, when i saw an article in a free local paper about a hapkido instructor who had just returned from yet another trip to korea to train. i got interested and called the guy, who seemed very nice and down-to-earth over the phone. so i went in to watch a class, and was immediately hooked. i've been there ever since, going on 10 years.

again, welcome to our little family...

9. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hey Lawrence,

Grandmaster Adams is a great guy ain't he? Hopefully I'll get back over the pond soon and we can all "have a play"...bruises and cider all round.

10. delete me

delete me New Member

Hi Kevin good to hear from you again.

I was in Norwich a couple of Fridays ago and GM Adams mentioned you then. Only popped in to say hello and got away 2 and a half hours later. ;)

Look forward to the visit

11. PantherFist

PantherFist Valued Member

Just had my second lesson in Hapkido under Master Kim Beom at the Sunderland University Duk Moo Club here in the North East of England.
    Thought I try another art to compliment my Choy Lee Fut training. Hapkido rocks!! :D

12. fester

fester New Member

Hello Making the list longer:)
    Started hkd in 1992 At deahan HQ Antwerp Belgium
    Was in the winning team at the European championships in 1996
    Entered the hkd festival in Korea in 2000, no prices there:))
    In 2002 I got bronze in Hankido and was in the bronze medallists team of hankumdo at the festival in Korea
    The reason I like hkd is becouse of the veriaty of thechniques. But i like Hankido more becouse of the easy learning system

13. johnfi

johnfi New Member

Hi there,

My name is John Fitzpatrick.

I trained at the same Hapkido dojang as SilverQ. I went to the University of Calgary for Computer Science and trained Hapkido as well. I actually got into Hapkido because a girl I ended up dating was a blackbelt at the studio. I watched a few classes, thought they were cool and I was hooked. I trained under Master Ki C Yoon there for about 3 years during which time I reached the rank of black strap (one below black belt). I was preparing to go for my black belt when school got too much. I graduated and moved from Calgary to the Okanagan for work. One correction I would like to mention on SilverQ's post is that Master Ki C Yoon has acutally been in Canada longer than a year and a half as I started training at the dojang in the Fall of 1999. He actually came to Canada sometime in the late 80's I think because one of the senior students at the time had been training with Master Ki for 20 years.

For anyone looking for a place to train Hapkido in Calgary, I would highly recommend his school. I also watched a class put on by his brother in the North East which also seemed to be a great place to train. I never trained there myself however.

Currently I am living in the Okanagan in Kelowna, BC. I recently started Aikido which I am enjoying. I really miss Hapkido though and would like to take it up again. If anyone knows of any Hapkido schools in the Okanagan in Kelowna, Vernon or Penticton I would be much oblidged to hear about them. I don't want to start any religious wars but I do know that some Taekwondo schools say they teach Hapkido but my experience has been that the focus is Taekwondo with some very watered down Hapkido. I hope I have not offended anyone and I say this with the highest respect for the art of Taekwondo. I am very impressed with skilled Taekwondo practitioners. My preference however is Hapkido.

14. Thomas

Welcomes to pain, PantherFist and johnfi! The Hapkido forum is growing and growing and boasts of people from many backgrounds and areas. Hopefully we can start meeting people soon and sharing in real-life!

1. Thomas - New York (USA) / Moo Moo Kwan IHF (Myeong Jae-nam's IHF)and ICHF (Combat Hapkido)

11. hapkiyoosool (Master Jeff Allen) - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyoosool

14. SilverDragons - Panama City, Panama (Central America) / Song Moo Kwan Hapkido

18 BSR - Missouri (USA) / Hapkido (United States Korean Martial Arts Federation)

20. mike-IHF (Michael Merchant) - Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyusul (under Master Jeff Allen)

27. Rod (Rodrigo Molina) - El Monte, California (USA) / Jang Mu Won Hapkido (under Master Les Connard)

30. sputnik - Calgary, Alberta (Canada) / Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido under Master Wade Langin (Flying Eagle Hapkido)

31. Bobby from TX - Denton, Texas (USA) / Hapkido under Chief Instructor Michael Nestor

36. doshim (Jon Davis) - Venice, California (USA) - Hapkido (under GM Bong Soo Han); Director of Operations for GM Bong Soo Han's IHF

45. Hapkidoin_P - Merrillville, IN (USA) / Hapkido (Hanminjok Hapkido Association and World Kido Federation)

54. pain (Lawrence Dike)-Swindon, Wiltshire / Hapkido (under GM Fred Adams of International Hapkido)

55. PantherFist – South Shields, England / Hapkido under Master Kim Beom

56. johnfi – Okanagan, Kelowna, BC (Canada) / previously studied Hapkido under Master Ki C Yoon in Calgary

Note: If you want anything added or changed, just let me know. I base the posting only on what the poster wrote in the "check-in" post itself. Thanks.

15. BlackDragon

BlackDragon New Member

The style of hapkido I have come back to is from Grandmaster Myung, Jae Ok
    called Hoi Jeon Moo Sool. I have trained in that one on and off for 10 years.
    To have an understanding of it here are some links
    one from Bahrain:
    http://hoijeonmoosool.free.fr/
    One from cancun:
    http://www.hjmscancun.com/
    And my school here in the States:
    http://www.michiganmartialarts.com
    and yes Grandmaster Myung is the brother of the late Grandmaster MYUNG Jae Nam
    Oh you can add me to the list I guess

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  16. kevinyusul

kevinyusul New Member

Hi Everyone,

My name is Kevin from Sydney Australia, I have been studying Hapkido for six years under the Australian Hapkido Association since 1998 acheiving 1st dan, I have also acheived 1st DAN in ITF taekwondo :

Link: http://www.australianhapkido.com/index.htm

Cheers

Kevin

17. 1eo

1eo Banned Banned

My name is Leonardo Schubert

Not long ago a I joined a Tang Soo do school, The instructor (Stuart Barnes) is a 5th dan in Hapkido and 3rd dan in Tang Soo do.

What really called my attention about this school was the fact that my instructor teaches some hapkido techniques at the end of class ---> which was completely different from any type of trainning that I ever had (I studied Karate do while I was a kid).

I got hooked with hapkido and I started staying after class asking more and more questions to my instructor (almost every class :D )

Anyway, I guess after showing so much interest in Hapkido, my instructor invited me to attent to Instructor-level seminars conducted by Grand Master Ji. There I met Stuart Rosenberg -> "American HKD" (a member of this site). :D
    The seminars are about once or twice a month and I'll be also taking the seminars that Rosenberg will be teaching. :cool:

Leo

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  18. Brucie

Brucie New Member

I everyone,

I'm from Montreal (Québec). I'm studing Hapkido from Grand Master Baubil 9th dan in Hoshinkido Hapkido (www.hoshinkidohapkido.com) since 2 years. I currently trained about 5-6 hours a week (including 2 private course with the GM).

I have also practiced a couple of years ago ITF and WTF Tae Kwon-do (7 years).

19. Trae

Trae Valued Member

Hey all. I'm from Vancouver, BC - that's Canada :)

I've been training for just under 4 months. Love it.
    I train at the local university (UBC). Our club is part of Korean Hapkido Institute (http://www.khihapkido.com/). The instructor is 2nd dan, and really an awesome guy.

I plan to stick around for a while :)

20. Thomas

Welcomes to Jundo, kevinyusul, 1eo, Brucie and Trae! There are a lot of Hapkido people showing up to share and learn and hope everyone enjoys their stay!

54. pain (Lawrence Dike)-Swindon, Wiltshire / Hapkido (under GM Fred Adams of International Hapkido)

55. PantherFist – South Shields, England / Hapkido under Master Kim Beom

56. johnfi – Okanagan, Kelowna, BC (Canada) / previously studied Hapkido under Master Ki C Yoon in Calgary

57. Jungdo -Ann Arbor, MI (USA) / Hoi Jeon Moo Sool (GM Myung Jae Ok)

58. kevinyusul -Sydney Australia / Hapkido (Australian Hapkido Association)

59. 1eo (Leonardo Schubert) / Hapkido

60. Brucie -Montreal, Quebec(Canada) – Hoshinkido Hapkido (under GM Serge Baubil)

61. Trae -Vancouver, B.C. (Canada) / Hapkido (Korean Hapkido Institute)