Hapkido Check In

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Thomas, Sep 23, 2003.

1. TheBloodFeaster

TheBloodFeaster New Member

Hey there.

I am originally from Texas, but I am currently teaching English in Suwon, South Korea. I started training in Hapkido in March, currently a yellow belt. My style is Jin Jung Kwan and is in the KHF. I'm loving the hell out of it but I am concerned when I eventually go back to the US about how hard it will be to find a school like it since Jin Jung Kwan, while very widespread in Korea is harder to find in North America. I know one guy said he goes to a Jin Jung Kwan dojang in Canada (Calgary I think) and I've found a couple other places on the web but they are few and far between. Anyway, I'm really excited that I found this forum and that there is actually a seperate section just for Hapkido!

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Welcome!!!!! Hey, I've been through your neck of the woods... I taught English in Korea for 4 years (in Chungnam province) and that's where I studied Hapkido (under the IHF/KHF). Great experience! As for continuing on in the states, it may be a bit difficult. There are really few (traditional) Hapkido schools in the states and you may find yourself having to try something else (I now get my Hapkido fix through the International Combat Hapkido Federation (www.ichf.com)... which is not traditional, but it's real good just the same... they probably have a school nearby. Otherwise, I would post up a thread (new) and ask about your region where you plan to live after Korea.

Welcome!!!!!

3. bvermillion

bvermillion Valued Member

I have only been studying hapkido for 3 months but have already reached green belt. I also wrestled in highschool, box and studied a vary unique taekwondo. I was with my taekwondo instructor for two years. What he really taught isn't exactly what I would call taekwondo. He crosstrained in many other martial arts and and they played a big role in his teaching. We taught many weapons including nunchakus, knife (offensive and defensive), gun defense, escrima sticks, bo staff, and cane. I personally only ever took an interest in gun and knife defenses and escrima. We were also trained in verbal deescalation, ground fighting, trapping and clinch fighting. There was really no aspect of martial arts left out. He is one of the most well rounded martial artists I have ever met. I moved from there about four months ago and have since took up hapkido. I am only 17 years old. I am leaving for the Marine Corps in august.

4. doshim

doshim Valued Member

Greetings!

My name is Jon Davis. I am an instructor under Grand Master Bong Soo Han. I have been studying under Grand Master Han for almost 11 years. In addition to my teaching responsibilities, I also serve as the Director of Operations for Grand Master Bong Soo Han’s International Hapkido Federation. I oversee all operations at our Headquarters here in Santa Monica, CA, as well as, the Hapkido curriculums at our affiliate schools.

I just recently stumbled across this forum this week and I can’t believe how much interest there seems to be in Hapkido. I am also very impressed that everyone is very courteous and respectful. It’s very refreshing.

It’s nice to see so many complimentary postings regarding Grand Master Han. He truly is a Grand Master of the highest caliber. My training with him has been a most rewarding, challenging, and inspirational endeavor.

He does keep me very busy, so I don’t know how often I will be able to check in here. But, I will do my best.

My very best to all of you.

With utmost respect,

Jon Davis
    www.bongsoohanhapkido.com

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  5. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

jon, nice post. you are very fortunate to be associated with such a gentleman.

since i'm very interested in the early days of the art, i wonder if you'd be able to clarify something. i have read conflicting reports about whether master han trained directly under choi young sool or not. would you happen to know?

btw, you're right about the courtesy here. isn't it a refreshing change from many other m.a. discussion boards.

hope you share more info with us... with 11 years with master han, you should have plenty of info that all of us are interested in.

all the best, howard

6. doshim

doshim Valued Member

Howard,

Grand Master Han did indeed train under Grand Master Choi, Young Sul.

Best regards

7. Thomas

Welcome to bvermillion and doshim! Our forum is growing with lots of experienced and new people dropping in. Please share your experiences, ideas, questions and answers with us! Moo Sool!

1. Thomas - New York (USA) / Moo Moo Kwan IHF and ICHF (Combat Hapkido)

2. John_IHF - Florida (USA) / IHF

3. Jointlock - Lincoln, NE (USA) / Shin Koo Hapkido

4. SilverQ - Alberta (Canada)/ Hapkido

5. SaJooNim - Lincoln, NE (USA) / Shin Koo Hapkido

6. Kosh (Marc) - NE England/ Hapkido

7. Paratus (Mike) - Darien, Illinois (USA)/ Hapkido (Wol Ge Kwon)

8. Chan Fan - Regina/ Jin Pal Hapkido

9. Chris from CT - Connecticut (USA)/ Jung Ki Kwan Hapkido

10. shadow warrior (Keith Stewart) - Toronto, Ontario (Canada)/ Hapkido

11. hapkiyoosool (Master Jeff Allen) - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyoosool

12. Hapki_18 (Yoky) - Alhambra, California (USA)/ Jang Mu Won Hapkido

13. Coomazen (Mel) - Atlanta, Georgia (USA)/ Hapkido (Black Knight Dojang)

14. SilverDragons - Panama City, Panama (Central America) / Song Moo Kwan Hapkido

15. WorldChampTKD - Ranco Cucamonga, California (USA) / Hapkido

16. HeadKick44 - Virginia (USA) / Hapkido

17. blessed samurai - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (USA) / HoShinDo Hapkido

18 BSR - Missouri (USA) / Hapkido (United States Korean Martial Arts Federation)

19. Bob1770 - Nebraska (USA) / Hapkido

20. mike-IHF (Michael Merchant) - Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyusul (under Master Jeff Allen)

21. moogong - Virginia (USA) / Hapkido

22. kcs - Clemson, South Carolina (USA) / Hapkido (Wol Ge Kwan)

23. Poorly knee - London (England) / Hapkido (under Tammy Parlour)

24. Xerxes - Atlanta, Georgia (USA) / Hapkido (Black Knight Dojang)

25. milt10n - Illinois (USA) / Hapkido (WolGeKwan)

26. Hapkido - Saint Louis, Missouri (USA) / Hapkido (under Yong Sue Rho)

27. Rod (Rodrigo Molina) - El Monte, California (USA) / Jang Mu Won Hapkido (under Master Les Connard)

28. davjohns - Trussville, AL (USA) / Combat Hapkido

29. Master Macdonal (Ian MacDonald) - Calgary, Alberta (Canada) - Hapkido

30. sputnik - Calgary, Alberta (Canada) / Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido under Master Wade Langin (Flying Eagle Hapkido)

31. Bobby from TX - Denton, Texas (USA) / Hapkido under Chief Instructor Michael Nestor

32. nj howard - New Jersey (USA) / Jung Ki Kwan Hapkido

33. whip - Stratford, Connecticut (USA) / Hapkido (Huang's)

34. JamesD / Hapkido (US Hapkido Federation under Mr. Don Burns)

35. bvermillion - Great Lakes (area), North America - Hapkido

36. doshim (Jon Davis) - Venice, California (USA) - Hapkido (under GM Bong Soo Han); Director of Operations for GM Bong Soo Han's IHF

Note: If you want anything added or changed, just let me know. I base the posting only on what the poster wrote in the "check-in" post itself. Thanks.

8. bvermillion

Great Lakes isn't an area it is the name of the navy station.

9. hapkiyoosool

hapkiyoosool Valued Member

Hello everyone. Good to see all of you here. Just wanted to let you know that Grandmaster Chang (a good friend to Grandmaster Han) will be visiting the USA in October. It will be in Utah at Hill Air Force Base. If any of you are interested please feel free to contact me. hapkyoosool@msn.com
    BTW here is our website if you haven't heard of Grandmaster Chang,
    http://www.hapkiyoosool.com

I hope to hear from some of you. You are all welcome to train with us anytime here in Florida at the US HQ for our Federation under GM Chang.

10. Thomas

So what would you like it to read for your location on the list?

hapkiyoosool: I'm happy to see you posting again... I've missed your contributions. I hope all is well with you!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  11. bvermillion

I was just giving you a hard time leave it like it is.

12. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

Hi all!

I guess I'd start by telling you what I'm not.
    I've not got any rank at all in Hapkido! :p

I started doing ITF Taekwon-Do back in -97, and got my black belt (1st Dan)in 2001. Then I stopped testing for belts, as I felt I wasn't good enough. My basic was sloppy, my kicks didn't reach the sky etc. I fell back on teaching kids about Taekwon-Do, and did so for the next three years, all the while feeling that there was something missing.

Then came my awakening! In the fall of 2003, I went to a seminar. Not in Hapkido, but in Krav Maga, and I realized that what I'd felt missing was realistic self defence techniques and, you know... A bit of Omph! during classes. So, as Krav Maga doesnt have any instructors in my area, I decided to find other arts that might help me develop my defencive skills. I found Kali Sikaran, a FMA that have helped me with the punches, the kicks and the stickfigthing and knife defence, but still I found something missing.

This weekend, I went with a friend of mine to a seminar. He's just recieved his 1st Dan in Hapkido, and it was his Master (Master Kim Jae Wha http://www.mclink.it/personal/MD4281/norway.htm) who conducted the seminar. There it was!!! The thing I've been looking for all the time. The art that combine the kicking/punching with the throwing/falling (I realized I didn't know how to breakfall after 7 years of MA's!!) and the weapons! The sword, the Bo, the nunchaku, the single and double stick and all the other "cool" weapons. I am born again as a martial artist!!

So, as you see, even if I'm currently without a rank in Hapkido, I feel like I've found home! I'll keep you updated, and undoubtfully ask a lot of questions, as I learn more of this fantastic art!

13. Bobby from TX

Bobby from TX New Member

Very cool Tittan. I've been practicing Hapkido for about 3 months now. I just completed my test for yellow belt 2 weeks ago and although I'm not really a "big head" about the belt level, I feel I'm starting to get the basic form down. I'm very excited about my Hapkido training and look forward to every chance I get to go work out. I'm 46 years old and although I'm probably the oldest one in my school, I still feel good after a hard workout. I love my Hoshensul training the best! It's good to hear that others that have been in Martial Arts for a long time are seeing benefits from training in Hapkido. Makes me think I've chosen the right art of self defense.

Thanks for the post!

Bobby Lane
    Denton, Tx.

14. KingRippa

KingRippa New Member

Checking in from Springfield, IL

Hello fellow Hapkido practioners and all teachers. I am Bobbio, Rippa Williams, whatever haha.

I started practicing Kifaru-Jitsu, at the Springfield academy of Edward Bell, at the age of 10. Around the age of 12 I lost interest, because it started to become tideous and redudant to me.

Throughout the years I had occasional dreams of me going back to my school of Kifaru, and once again being the top student as I used to be, but alas my sensei had retired the police force and Kifaru. Over the years I had the feeling that I could never get used to another master, but as young kids always tend to be, I was wrong.

After about the 10th dream, when I was just turning 17, I learned that the reason I had this dream was because I needed to return to the martial arts. So I got out the phone book and looked for every school in springfield, I was hoping for Kung Fu but none the luck. So, I went around to different dojo's/dojangs and checked out each school. Soon I came acrossed SMA (Sangamon Martial Arts Academy), and went in to check out what they practiced. Of course inside I found a mixture of many arts (Shinkendo, Hapkido, Capoeira, Aikido, and Grapple Fight[like UFC stuff]). I then went home and looked up everyone of them on the internet, I saw that Hapkido was the type of art I needed to become a real martial artist, and was able to join up.

I would love to say that was years ago, and that I'm a master now, but it was in decemeber 2003 haha. Now I am a yellow belt (soon to be orange), training under Master Ed Neal, I don't know if we have an official title but we're apart of the US Hapkido Federation US Hapkido Fed. We're very distant from the federations teaching, but we still follow lots of their regulations. Mr. Neal incorporates lots of Krav Maga into our Hapkido, as well as any other thing he thinks is missing to the big puzzle. I plan on taking it to the largest heights I can, and when I can become a teacher I'm planning on incorporating other styles I learned to start an art of my own.

It is very nice to meet all of you (o; `,.

15. Thomas

Welcome to Tittan and KingRippa! It's nice to see more people checking in and bringing more points oif view to the discussions here... whether from our Hapkido experience or from other styles. Welcome and have fun!

11. hapkiyoosool (Master Jeff Allen) - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyoosool

14. SilverDragons - Panama City, Panama (Central America) / Song Moo Kwan Hapkido

18 BSR - Missouri (USA) / Hapkido (United States Korean Martial Arts Federation)

20. mike-IHF (Michael Merchant) - Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyusul (under Master Jeff Allen)

27. Rod (Rodrigo Molina) - El Monte, California (USA) / Jang Mu Won Hapkido (under Master Les Connard)

30. sputnik - Calgary, Alberta (Canada) / Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido under Master Wade Langin (Flying Eagle Hapkido)

31. Bobby from TX - Denton, Texas (USA) / Hapkido under Chief Instructor Michael Nestor

36. doshim (Jon Davis) - Venice, California (USA) - Hapkido (under GM Bong Soo Han); Director of Operations for GM Bong Soo Han's IHF

37. Tittan - Trondheim (Norway) / Hapkido

38. KingRippa - Springfield, Illinois (USA) / Hapkido (US Hapkido Fed.)

Note: If you want anything added or changed, just let me know. I base the posting only on what the poster wrote in the "check-in" post itself. Thanks.

16. kcs

kcs New Member

Controversial Hapkido questions

I was just looking at Beck's martial arts wepage and he has an interesting section called "controversial hapkido questions": http://www.beckmartialarts.com/chkdfaq.html

I thought it was well reasoned and clear, though I also am no scholar here. One of the interesting claims he makes there is that there's not a huge difference between hapkido, kuk sul won, Hwarangdo. I've no doubt this is controversial, so I wanted to know what others might think of this.

Cheers,
    KCS

17. Thomas

You probably won't get many replies as you posted this on the Check-in thread... I would recommend clarifying what you'd like to discuss and post it as a new thread.

18. Oldie

Oldie New Member

Hapkido sign in

I am signing in this forum but sorry to say that I have also signed in the tae kwon do forum since I have also trained in TKD. Very soon, I will also join the arnis and jeet kune do sites, as I have trained in these other two arts also.

My exposure to Hapkido has only been very recent. I started martial arts at the ripe old age of 49, studying Tae Kwon Do. After one year, I concurrently took Hapkido, albeit for only 30 classes. After that, I merged into Jeet Kune Do. Six months later, I also took up Modern Arnis. Thus, I was taking martial art classes 5 days a week, in three different martial arts.

After 3 yrs and 8 months, I obtained my 1st dan in Tae Kwon Do at age 53. At that point, I had trained in Jeet Kune Do for 2.5 yrs. I had attained 1st Brown belt in Modern Arnis. My former insturctor in Hapkido asked me to help him teach the kicking aspects of Hapkido and I agreed.

Two months into that partnership where I would learn the Hapkido techniques in exchange of teaching the kicking, the daughter of the dojang owner insisted that I pay a monthly fee to learn Hapkido, irrespective to the agreement between me and the Hapkido instructor. I quit Hapkido.

I was then informed of a school called Combat Hapkido. The Master Instructor is John Scali. He is trained under grand master Pelergrini of ICHF.

John is a great guy, knowledgeable in his art and very personable. I fully enjoyed the classes. At first I still carried the loads of Jeet Kune Do and Modern Arnis but on the strength of Mr. Scali's teaching I quit both JKD and Modern Arnis to concentrate on Combat Hapkido in Manassas, Virginia.

Unfortunately, at the present time, due to a family situation (my newly widowed sister in law and her four young children came to stay with me and my wife, for an indefinite length of time), I am unable to continue training in Combat Hapkido. Hopefully, when the right time comes again, I can resume Combat Hapkido training.

Thomas, in case you see John Scali, please tell him that George says hello.

Oldie (George)

19. Thomas

Welcome to Oldie! It looks like our Hapkido Check-In has slowed down. If you study Hapkido... please sign in and let us know a bit about you. We are close to catching up to the Taekwondo Check-in list and forever proving the superiority of this forum! (or something)

37. Tittan - Trondheim (Norway) / Hapkido

38. KingRippa - Springfield, Illinois (USA) / Hapkido (US Hapkido Fed.)

39. Oldie / Combat Hapkido

20. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

Checking in ....

Ok Well here it goes ... ...
    My name is Back Fist Monkey and I too am a Martial Arts-a-holic
    * hello Back Fist Monkey *

I have been taking Hapkido for a about 3 and 1/2 months now and just passed my yellow belt test . I took Shaolin Kempo from Soke/Shihan John Stover when I was much younger and have been training on my own since that ........... ( bear with me here I cant think of a compliment worthy of Shihan Stover ) .......... amazing (?)....... teacher sparked something in me .
    Most of my knowledge of martial arts comes from my short two years as his student and private instruction . I have had to apply my knowledge in many situations and came out ok .
    I am worried that the Dojang I am at now appears to of the Mc. variety ... I am learning new techniques and skills .. but I feel as if something is missing . . has anyone else expiranced this ?

...... I did learn everthing I needed for the yellow belt test in the first week of classes ... but we do do alot conditioning too under any circumstances the instruction I am getting is .. acceptable for the time atleast .

Checking out now .....