Hapkido Check In

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Thomas, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Coomazen

Coomazen New Member

OK - My name is Mel and I seem to be one of the few female hapkidoka! I train at Black Knight Dojang in Atlanta and I am currently a 6th kup testing for 5th on March 6th.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Welcome Hapki_18 and Coomazen! I hope you enjoy the site and share your knowledge and ideas with us. I'll update the list pretty soon!

3. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

hmm...another tidbit of info(just found out recently), officially my Hapkido style is Hapkido Wol Ge Kwon

4. Thomas

Update

Here's the latest update! If you haven't checked-in, please do... share a bit about yourself and get a fine welcome.

1. Thomas - New York (USA) / Moo Moo Kwan IHF and ICHF (Combat Hapkido)

2. John_IHF - Florida (USA) / IHF

3. Jointlock - Lincoln, NE (USA) / Shin Koo Hapkido

4. SilverQ - Alberta (Canada)/ Hapkido

5. SaJooNim - Lincoln, NE (USA) / Shin Koo Hapkido

6. Kosh (Marc) - NE England/ Hapkido

7. Paratus (Mike) - Darien, Illinois (USA)/ Hapkido (Wol Ge Kwon)

8. Chan Fan - Regina/ Jin Pal Hapkido

9. Chris from CT - Connecticut (USA)/ Jung Ki Kwan Hapkido

10. shadow warrior (Keith Stewart) - Toronto, Ontario (Canada)/ Hapkido

11. hapkiyoosool (Master Jeff Allen) - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyoosool

12. Hapki_18 - Alhambra, California (USA)/ Hapkido

13. Coomazen (Mel) - Atlanta, Georgia (USA)/ Hapkido (Black Knight Dojang)

Welcome to the new people and a continuing greeting for the posters, both frequent and infrequent here!

5. Silver Dragons

Silver Dragons Valued Member

Well I should have done this a long time ago. Im a first dan in Song Moo Kwan Hapkido from Panama City, Panama (central america)

6. hapki_18

hapki_18 New Member

what you forgot to put my name next to my screenname:( . also my hapkido style is called jang mu won hapkido

btw its yoky

7. WorldChampTKD

WorldChampTKD New Member

I'm Jen. I'm 17 years old and I study Tae Kwon Do (WTF) at a school here in Southern California called "Ultimate Tae Kwon Do" (we used to be "World Championship Tae Kwon Do" but we've moved). At the school there is also a Hapkido Master who teaches. I'm a Purple belt in Tae Kwon Do and I just started Hapkido, so I'm totally new at it. I'm really enjoying it, except my legs are really sore from doing ground kicks, which I'm not used to doing. I hope to excell because I really enjoy it. I want to learn all I can about Hapkido.....talk to you all soon!

8. Thomas

Here's the latest update! Welcomes to all and we look forward to hearing from all of you.

11. hapkiyoosool (Master Jeff Allen) - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyoosool

12. Hapki_18 (Yoky) - Alhambra, California (USA)/ Jang Mu Won Hapkido

14. SilverDragons - Panama City, Panama (Central America) / Song Moo Kwan Hapkido

15. WorldChampTKD - Ranco Cucamonga, California (USA) / Hapkido

Keep them coming... I will update everytime we get a few new listings!
    PM me if you want something added or corrected , please.

9. HeadKick44

HeadKick44 New Member

Hi.
    I'm basically just starting hapkido, but I have promised myself to stick it out to black belt (I have one in tkd, and want to do something besides kick). I train at Mountain Kim martial arts, a studio in Virginia USA, that teaches tkd, haidong gumdo, and hapkido; all of which are korean arts.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  10. Thomas

HeadKick44: Welcome! I hope you share your knowledge and ideas with us frequently!

11. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Greetings.

The style of Hapkido I study is called HoShinDo Hapkido. It basically means "Gateways to concepts of defense through the use of coordinated power." (Don't you just love those long titles). I have been studying under Master James Ray for about 5 years now and tested 3 weeks ago for my 1st Dan. It was a grueling 2 hour test in which I was the only one testing. Our school is located in Oklahoma City and being in Oklahoma can be kinda tough finding a martial art besides TKD (which is what my original black belt was in), so I feel lucky and blessed to have found such a dynamic art.

12. Thomas

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

13. Thomas

Update

Welcome HeadKick44 and blessed samurai!

14. SilverDragons - Panama City, Panama (Central America) / Song Moo Kwan Hapkido

16. HeadKick44 - Virginia (USA) / Hapkido

17. blessed samurai - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (USA) / HoShinDo Hapkido

14. BSR

BSR Valued Member

I've been studying hapkido for a little over a year now at a hapkido dojang in Missouri which is affiliated with the United States Korean Martial Arts Federation. I am a green belt, although I'm scheduled to test for my blue belt in a couple of weeks.

Hapkido is by far the most interesting martial art I have studied. Previously I studied tae kwon do, receiving my yellow belt, then quickly losing interest (I was only 12). I also tried two classes of judo before deciding a martial sport wasn't for me.

I really enjoy how hapkido encorporates hard and soft self-defense techniques. The number of techniques really does seem limitless. I feel very lucky to have found a great school in my own hometown. Hopefully there will come a day when I can tell people I study hapkido without their saying '"Hap-what?" :)

15. Thomas

Update

Welcome BSR!

16. HeadKick44 - Virginia (USA) / Hapkido

17. blessed samurai - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (USA) / HoShinDo Hapkido

18 BSR - Missouri (USA) / Hapkido (United States Korean Martial Arts Federation)

16. Bob1770

Bob1770 Valued Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to Hapkido. I live in Nebraska and I have tried other styles in the past, and lost interest mainly due to the lack of interest from my instructors. I spent a couple of years in TKD and realized that the instructor didn't care if you were a lousy kicker, or couldn't remember the kata, you passed the test because you paid! I have found Hapkido by chance and have found a more than worthy instructor to teach the art to me. I can assure everyone, there is no Mc-prefix to our Dojo! When I am not doing something properly, my instructor takes the time to correct me, pointing the difference between my way, and the correct way. His honesty and integrity to the art and lifestyle is why I finally decided to give the MA another try. I find the art absolutely fascinating in it's simplicity and effectiveness! I'm proud to be a involved in this art and hope to be a student for life! Enough rambling.

17. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Well, Bob...I don't know anything about your instructor but I do have to say I appreciate your attitude. So often much negativity, bickering, and debate happens in the martial arts community...I'm sure it is because we are all just opinionated people.

Anyway...I just wanted to say welcome to the Hapkido tribe. It's one hell of a ride.

18. Bob1770

Bob1770 Valued Member

Thanks for the reply, my instructor is among us and has the highest of values. I have read all of his posts, and they are all positive, and have set an example for me.

19. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

Wow Bob, your instructor does sound like a great guy. Wait did you say you live in Nebraska; That's funny I have a new student named Bob, what a strange coincidence. :rolleyes: This instructor probably doesn't deserve all of the praise that you give him, he's just doing his best to pass on what was taught to him.

20. Walmartfreak

Walmartfreak New Member

the difference between Hapkido and Tae Kown Doe

can anybody tell me the Difference Between Hapkido and Tae Kwon Doe? I am thinking of Taking Hapkido after I get my black belt in Tae Kwon Doe.