HAOV (part 1)

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Jul 19, 2004.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Let's make 'The Danzig', a Block with one's face, particularly against a Haymaker after a push by the Danziger....

I can't wait for the Oxford English Dictionary listing and I thunked of it first :D

2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Here Here, someone save that date and post for the OED.

From this point forward I'm going to use "danzig"

- Matt

3. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Cool post!
    I'd use a basic Wing Chun response.

1. For a basic right handed haymaker:

While turning 45 deg, use my left hand to block the punch and use my right to palm strike to the jaw. Follow up depending on openings

2. For a push followed by a right handed haymaker

Same as above but initially just move with the push.

Again, really cool post!

4. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Vote for best response!

Alright boys and girls lets vote for the best response.
    I vote leeless and SoKKlab. Why? They have both suggested simple and easy techniques. Of course just my opinion.

What say you all?

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Not to tear apart the post, but this one scares me because you really haven't changed your physical relationship to the destination of the technique. Assuming that the guy is aimg for your head, the typically WC shift will mean that you're blocking the technique where your head was. That means that you're blocking it at it's most powerful point. And I just never feel that's a good idea for a first level defense. You always need to be prepared for that as a contingency, but I'd do everything possible to aovid it (especially if the answer is a simple as moving a half step forward.

- Matt

6. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

I thought that was one of the basic idea of wing chun.

With the simultaneous block/strike...as the attacker is hitting the blocking arm and the wing chun practitioner is hitting the attacker....then the attacker is hitting himself with the extra added by the wing chun hit.

Yes/no/comments.

7. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

With regards to Matt. No worries there. I probably didn't explain fully. You need to turn 45 deg on the inside line. This adds extra power to the palm and although it sounds crazy, it does work. While the attackers punch has plenty of power, the blocking structure easily absorbs it. I'm a small guy - only 75kg's, and I can get it to work against much bigger guys in my class.
    Have a look at the link below:

http://www.sifugrados.com/mcvideos.shtml

Hope that will explain what I mean.

Michael

8. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy