hanmadang

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by estranged13, Apr 29, 2008.

1. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

anyone going to the hanmadang this year?

http://hanmadang2008.com/

its a wtf competition that has no sparing in it. It's being hosted in the US this year for the 1st time. My understanding is that several of the Masters in the US are tired of how everything is starting to revolve around sparing here so they lobbied to get the tournament hosted in the US to try to take the "art back" in martial arts. I think it sounds really cool and am going to go watch at the very least. Several instructors from my clubs are getting certified to judge it.

I hope its a start of a long journey back to having things the way they should be lol.

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Looks like there will be plenty of talented athletes competing in that event but I couldn't really see myself watching anything more than the highlights.

3. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Its good to competitions organised where the focus isnt sparring.
    AIMAA-Ireland hold an annual patterns team patterns & 1-step techniques competition, its amazing how good a turn out it gets from the die hard fighters.

4. paddy ska

paddy ska Valued Member

What's involved in the 1 step technique comp? I've never heard of it....

5. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Our 1-Step division involves 10 sets of attacks 5 from each competitor. Its judged on speed accuracy & fluidity of technique.

6. mangoman

mangoman Valued Member

With just 6 weeks or so to go, it looks like Hanmadang is setting up to be a major flop!!!

http://mookas.us/media_view.asp?news_no=1363

Worldwide participants, numbers expected to be below par; last push to gain additional funding

2008 World Taekwondo Hanmadang is just around a corner. 2008 World Taekwondo Hanmandang will be held for the first time in the United States. The rights to host the event was given to United States Taekwondo Federation (President Sang Chul Lee, USTF), sanctioned by Kukkiwon. With July 16th approaching fast, 2 organizations are feeling the pressure in few other factors in hosting a successful 2008 Hanmadang.

* Kukkiwon, USTF, feeling the pressure

The main factor that will determine whether Hanmadang in the US will be successful is the 'number of participants'. Hanmadang coordinators have said "so far we have about 200 participants from Korea who will be attending Hanmadang in the US." And with about 43 days left until Hanmadang, "we are anticipating about 300 overall participants from Korea."

USTF anticipated about 500 participants from Korea. USTF and Kukkiwon are pushing for more at this time. One Kukkiwon affiliate said "we have marketed Hanmadang using our athlete data base and we are still receiving responses from potential participants."

It is still too early to say that Hanmadang is lacking participants. However, with Nationals (USAT) also taking place in July (Detroit, MI), it is unclear how many athletes will actually attend both Nationals and Hanmadang with the financial burden of traveling expenses.

USTF is responsible for $631,500 of the cost and guaranteed $300,000 from the organization. Current registration fee for Hanmadang is approximately $100 per person. If participants from Los Angeles area consists of about 2000 competitors, out of state athletes about 1000 competitors, that alone is projected to support the cost by $300,000.

Master and professors who have opposed Hanmadang in the US said "if they do not have enough participants, they cannot provide the funds to host the event and hence the outcome of Hanmadang will be unsuccessful."

* Hanmadang, missing the 'key factor'?

USTF who is hosting the event is struggling to land a major a sponsor for Hanmadang. From total cost of approximately $900,000, USTF is responsible for funding $600,000 and Kukkiwon $300,000. Without a major sponsor, it is unclear how they will provide funds to host the event.

USTF's initial plan was to cover $400,000 from registration fees and balance ($231,000) from potential sponsors.

However, current sponsors are only Adidas and Best Martial Arts. On May 22nd, USTF told MOOKAS during an interview "we have approached major companies such as LG and Samsung but so far they have not agreed on the sponsorship."

Some people who initially opposed the idea of hosting Hanmadang in the US are now stepping up to say we all need to work together to make Hanmadang a successful event. If Hanmadang is not successful, it will ruins the image of Taekwondo as a martial art.

7. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

the part i heard was everyone wanted it in 2009 but it'll still be a cool thing to attend