Hankido, did you do it?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by klaasb, Feb 7, 2006.

1. klaasb

klaasb ....

Hankido isn't a very well known art, even within the KMA-community, and I always had the idea that in the US there were practically no hankido practioners.
    This idea changed a bit in the last year or so, and I have contact with a few people in the US who practiced (or have practiced) hankido.

I would like to get a clearer view of how many people in the US actually practice or have practiced hankido (and would be interested in starting again).

Maybe it would be an idea to form a list of hankido practioners in the US and some day arrange a get-together or something like that.

Ideas? Suggestions???

If you have some hankido experience please tell us where you ar from, whe you learned hankido (who's your teacher) and for how long.
    And if there is anything else you want to share with us, go ahead.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Our doors are open for a meet in the US!

I am from Potsdam, New York State (on the Canadian border) where I am a Taekwondo and Combat Hapkido instructor at a small school.

From 1997 – 1999 I studied IHF Hapkido under Master Choi Hyeon-kyu in Nonsan City, Republic of Korea in an intensive format (twice a day, 1.5 - 2 hour classes). We studied primarily Hapkido but also learned some Hankido. I learned the first 7 Hankido techniques (offensive and defensive) in addition to the regular Hapkido program.

I have maintained and practiced what I learned and I tried to keep my eyes open for a chance for further study. It was hard to find anyone in the states that was nearby and/or had study materials available until I met Klass online and was able to purchase the Hankido DVD (and soon #2! ). I have a few students that help me study it and at this stage of my martial arts study, I find it fits nicely with my philosophy and "where I am going". I doubt I will ever become a "master" or even earn rank, but it is a nice syatem that warrants my further exploration and study. I would be greatly interested in training with interested parties and doing some travel to train as well!

3. Mike_101

Mike_101 New Member

Hi, this is my first post in the hapkido forum so nice to meet you all. :)
    Ah I took a trial lesson in hankido/hapkido in the netherlands. It's a very nice system, but I was more looking for just hapkido instruction at the time, so I left it at that trial lesson.

From what I could gather in that very very, short time it has a lot of similiarties with aikido. :) And with hapkido off course. All in all a very nice system!

Sorry I can't be of any help with finding american practioners. ;