Handling multiple job interviews.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Gong_Sau_Rick, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Forgive my job interview etiquette/strategy noobess.

I've got myself scheduled for multiple job interviews (well not yet exactly). First was this carpet bombing strategy wise or am I an idiot?

Second say I want job A more than B and job B's interview is first. Is it ok/proper/polite to say (if I got the job) "I've actually got another job interview scheduled for tomorrow (or whatever) and while what you've shown me here today is fantastic I think it would be wise to examine all my options before I... blah blah etc..." or should I just go for the first one I get and run with it?

2. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

Why would you need to tell them about the other job interview? If you do get offered the first job ask if there is a deadline on the job offer, I would assume they would give you atleast a few days to think about it. I have had job interviews where they asked if I had any other job interviews in the next week or so, I hadn't. If they do ask you then I would think that would be good sign as it means they are probably interested.

Good luck in the interviews, I hope you get the one you want.

Errrm

Edit - Yeah, I don't see a problem with multiple interviews. Just make sure you have enough time to learn all about the companies you are being interviewed for. Even if they don't ask you if you know anything about the company try and get it into the interview somehow i.e. if they ask why you want to work for them, mention some stuff you found on your research that interests you.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  3. Gong_Sau_Rick

Thanks for the advice Errrm! :)

4. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

No problem, I added some other stuff to the post which to answer your question about getting many interviews at once.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Why don't you just take a copy of the contract and say your solicitor is gonna have a look over it and ask them by when they require the contract signed and returned. Then if you do end up going for a different job, call up the first company you saw and tell them that your solicitor has advised you to not proceed with the contract, they may in turn wish to renegotiate the initial contract terms which may swing it.

I would say though, if your gonna decline a job, don't just ignore the company in question, call them up and officially decline, they may either wish to renegotiate or at least appreciate that you did not leave them hanging, no point burning bridges.

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the good old job interview. I spent well over a year unemployed after leaving university with a massive two degrees and handled well over 200 rejection letters (I also had a list of close to 60 places that didn't bother replying).

From what I can remember I was told by the careers people (incidentally, what gives them the right to help me look for a career when all they can do is be careers advisors..? :confused:) blanket application for jobs is a big no no especially as it can lead to conflict with interviews.

For example you might have an interview at Point A on Thursday and at Point B on the same day but miles away and it might be that the interview at Point A over runs so you miss the one at Point B. Etc. etc.

Don't ever tell them that you have another job interview as it might look to them that you're hedging your bets. i.e. "Why is he applying for this position if he's looking elsewhere?" They don't need to know that you have other interviews lined up and you don't need to tell them, I mean, they're unlikely to offer you the job then and there?

As far as they/you're concerned this is the job you want! Meanwhile you go to your other interviews and as far as they're concerned they're the jobs you want! ;)

Good luck. :D

7. Gong_Sau_Rick

Heh, yeah my sister had a similar experience. I don't know about you but she had big degrees but hardly and experience.

My carpet bombing was somewhat intelligent though, I only applied for things I thought there was a good possibility of getting.

Haha, I would never put myself in such a situation.

I've decided if they ask I'll be honest.

Thanks. :)

8. Gong_Sau_Rick

I'm applying for fairly humble jobs, I don't think lawyers will be necessary. But yes, I will give them a call if I decide not to go through. I'll put your advice in the back of my head perhaps for the future.

9. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Oh no no no, don't be honest in an interview.

If you doodle on a notepad in your spare time you tell them that you do commissioned art pieces. :D

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

They'll make you an offer at a later date I would expect. Were I you, I would go to the interview, not mention the other interview, don't take the job on the spot, tell them you'll get back to them within 1 week and wait to see what comes of the other interview.