Handbags and Purses

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Andy Murray, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

We have had some interesting threads on inpromptu weapons, and also some on the ladies perspective. So two questions, one to the Instructors, and one to the ladies;

As in Instructor, are there certain things you reccomend ladies you instruct to carry round with them at all times?

As a lady (i'm including Karateka here), what do you carry in your handbag/purse that you would consider using in defense of your person?

If you haven't considered this before, look at it like a survival kit.

Andy

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I know one girl who used to carry all of her belongings in pockets, or had a friend look after them, but carried a small purse with a heavy lead fishing weight.

As for my own recommendations, there's really not that much that can't be used as a weapon. I suppose some sort of aerosol is always a good idea, but other than than nothing other than the normal stuff.

3. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Keys...
    I don't always carry a purse but I always have my keys with me. Most people have numerous keys with them. Place the main keyring part in your palm and close your fist having a key protrude between each finger.

4. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Damn...you beat me to it Ladyhawk. :)

I have done precisely that myself before with keys placed in my hands in exactly the same way.

I know that there is every chance that an assailant could grab my hand and crush the keys into my hand, but at the end of the day..that is small mercy if I can get my key into a soft spot of theres i.e. eyes, neck, about an inch above the wrist, etc. it might be enough to deter, stop or blind them...

Choice: Keys crushed in hand or raped and/or murdered?

5. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Hey, great minds think alike.

6. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Yes, they do, cause I do the same.

I don't carry a hangbag (annoying). Just my wallet with my ID, ect in it, and my money goes in my front pocket. I always have my keys, and yes, I do know how to use them as a weapon :D

In both of the schools I attended taught key defense. Did you know you can use a key to "slash" someone? Pretty neat (ugly for a would-be attacker) stuff they taught us.

Did you know that you could "slash" with a hangbag, too? There is always a sharp edge somewhere on your bag. Find it and know where it is. You can slash an attacker with it if you hold your bag right. Practice it, and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2002
  7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ladyhawk / Melanie - have you tried punching something HARD with the keys between your fingers? I suggest you try hitting a bag lightly and slowly build up the power - you may find that it's not as good an idea as it first looks.

I know a guy who tried it - and boke two fingers badly

Keys work much better as a mini-flail - especially if you have a decent sized bunch (of keys :D)

8. Kat

Kat Valued Member

There is a brand of torches that I would recomend.
    Surefire Torches E1 or G3
    Stay with me here
    They are small and light and can be activated by a push button at the back,they emmit a sharp bright light that (trust me)blinds people for a few seconds.and are made of a study material so can be used like a Kabuto.
    Yes and they even work to a certian extent in daylight
    I feel they are and excellent inconspicuous and usefull self defence tool that many people overlook

9. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Yoda,
    Yes, I know the keys add extra tension to the fingers in a hard strike but I was thinking more in lines for soft tissue strikes and also for scraping. It's not my only weapon to depend on, just an added bonus.

10. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

...but fools seldom differ! If you are going to quote then please use the whole quote!! :D

All good stuff here. Good to see that you are all considering possible weapons rather than thinking because you study MA's you are safe. I have had occassion to do the key thing myself on occassion and had to actually use it once. Employed it in the same way as Melanie, KarateKid1975 and Ladyhawk are talking about. Certainly makes someone less likely to attack you again when they have blood pouring out of their cheek! This was before I was studying any MA but I thought I would be alright because nobody would seriously want to attack a sixteen stone rugby player. Just goes to show.....

Have any of you ever carried a rape alarm or mace? Was told recently that if you are being raped then you should scream "Fire!" as people are more likely to respond and investigate....what does that say about society today?

11. stump

stump Supersub

Was told recently that if you are being raped then you should scream "Fire!" as people are more likely to respond and investigate....what does that say about society today?

-------------

I've heard that too Silver, except when i tried to explain it to a self defence group i was helping with a few years ago they all shouted "FIRE" as if they were ordering a platoon of soldiers!!! took absolute ages to point out to them that wasn't what we had in mind. Though it might work if you could convince the attacker that your mate had a gun pointed at them...... :) :woo:

....anyway i digress!!!!

SLightly less off topic (and forgive me if this has been discussed before) a personal impromptu weapon of choice and one i highly recommend is a rolled up magazine as you can carry it without looking suspicious. Used for stabbing to fleshy areas it's very effective, especially nads, stomach, throat and face - just don't use it like you would to kill a wasp at the window :)

And if you're really lucky you'll give the attacker a papercut...and we all know just how painful they are :D

12. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

LOL! You're quick.......Silver.

Yes, I've carried pepper spray and I know about screaming "fire".

It is also a good idea to teach children to scream
    "I don't know you" instead of "help" because some people may simply think that they are just an unruly kid trying to be controlled by their parent.

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I usually carry a nail file of some description in my handbag or pocket. I also have a nail clipper with a 2 inch knife on it. Its not enough to cause any serious injury, but it would be enough for me to hurt and attacker and escape. I think another issue with this topic is what can and can't be classed as a weapon. The nail clipper normally wouldn't be classed as such, but with the penknife attached to it, it would be classed as a potential dangerous weapon.

14. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Now, if you want to talk about illegal, concealed
    weapons or what I refer to as being dressed to kill...I have a leather belt and the buckle is a
    3 inch double edged knife. The blade tucks into a sheath in the belt and the handle is the buckle.
    I've unbuckled and was ready but have never had to use it.

15. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Silver,

I carried mace when I did security. I also and my "buddy". A big, fat, bright flash light *grins*. Anyways, I almost used it as a weapon on a couple of occasions.

Stump,

Good one. I was also taught how to use a rolled up mag as a weapon.

Tonight at work would be a perfect example of me looking for make-shift weapons. One of my managers said that two guys were waiting outside (the back of the store) for her cause they wanted something she had on. She said that they were waiting out back. I peeked out back and saw them. One was a wimpy looking fellow, the other wasn't much bigger. Both were scruffy fellows, but scary looking. I was aware of them and thinking they may come in looking for her (she disappeared with a friend out front and whent home) and maybe attack me. So I looked for "weapons". I found a screw driver, small "camping knives" that we sell, a pen, and the scratch-off lottery display (wasn't attached to the counter, and was small enough to pick up and heavy enough to knock someone out). But they never came in. Maybe it was a faulse alarm, but I was ready *evil grin*

16. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

For work I need to carry a money pouch. I use a medium size imitation leather pencil case. When I start work I need to put a $20 float in there for change for the customers (pizza delivery). Even with this small amount of change it provides a rather nasty BlackJack like thing. So if someone tries to rob me on a delivery the first thing they will get is the money they are after slammed into the side of their head.
    And maybe a full coke bottle to boot.

The keys are a good one too. My keys are strung out into a chain thats about 15 cm long with a sharp key chain ornament (1.5 cm x 2.5 cm with a cool skull with a knife through its head embossed on it.) on the end. I am gonna start looking for a mini mag light to put on the end to make it longer and have more weight.

Speaking of weapons in the work place, never try to hold up a pizza restaurant. Besides them never having much money in there anyway there is a veritable armory of weapons in one.
    Here is my current "run to" weapons list:
    3 x Cut blades (35 - 45 cm long blade with nice handle running on its back. Think machete with the handle along the blade not on the end of it.)
    3 x docket spikes (10 cm of barbeque skewer)
    2 x pan lifters (my favourite. 40 cm of thick tube piping with a small claw on the end)
    6 x brooms like things (Bo anybody?)
    hundreds of pan lids (light, flat, round. Hurt like buggery when you get hit by em)
    Baine lids (small, light, square, plastic. Throw like ninja stars or CD's)
    Pizza Lifters (Kinda like a thin machete that has been bent parralel and not sharpened)
    sauce Spoodles (half spoon, half ladle all pain when I hit you with it)
    Thats all I can think of without being there but more than enough to arm the whole staff if we are attacked by a gang of street hoodlums.

You can carry anything that will cause harm to someone with a reasonable excuse for having it. So if you need to carry somthing anywhere make sure it can double as a weapon. If not find something that can and find a reason to carry it.

You know you have too much time to spare at work when you can practise using a Bo with the brooms there.

Also pretty much anything can be used as a weapon. Be they passive or active EVERYTHING can be used as a weapon and can be deadly.

17. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

On checking my pockets (don't do bags) have found some receipts, tissues, keys (yeah!!!) and lots of coins (sadly no notes). Reminds me of the old trick though of chucking a handful of coins in their face and decking them while they're distracted.

18. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

Don't forget the little bits of paper too. If it comes to grappling then grab 'em and stuff 'em into the other guys mouth/throat.
    While they are trying to breathe and get them out of their mouth finish them off.

OOOOooooooh Paper cuts to the tongue. Ow!

19. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

Remind me never to ask you for change for a fiver FluffyDoc. I value my eyes!!!

20. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I skimmed this thread but haven't thoroughly read it ... I'm on a pay terminal so am trying to speed through stuff here. If I'm repeating what someone else has said ... sorry.

But don't forget that the purse/handbag itself can be used as a weapon.

Mike