hand wraps or inner gloves?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by lee baldwin, Nov 11, 2008.

1. lee baldwin

lee baldwin Valued Member

right i've been looking on a certain auction site and in a few online martial arts shops and have been wondering if the inner gloves are any good or would i be better just getting some wraps? has anyone used the inner glove rather than wraps?
    cheers peeps

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you do a search you'll find a lot of threads with detailed answers Lee, but I think the general opinion was that well done wraps are better. Inner gloves were convenient but not as supportive.

There is a thread by Slipthejab that even has videos on how to do hand wraps, with several different methods shown.

Hope that helps :)

Mitch

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Wraps

4. lee baldwin

to be honest thats what i thought, i can't really see how the inner gloves can give as much support as wraps, thanks

5. Moi

Aren't they just to keep your gloves fresh?

6. Mitch

Nah, those neoprene ones with the gel pad over the knuckles are meant to replace wraps aren't they?

I got some of the elasticated ones that look like short-fingered gloves (imagine weight lifting gloves but in elastic) and they were poor. Supporting and tight in the wrong places, loose in the wrong places, just worthless.

Mitch

7. Moi

Gel wraps? Is that what he was talking about? We sell them in the gym, never tried them, like the cotton ones so there's no need to change.

8. lee baldwin

the ones i was talking about had 2 finger holes so you fit 2 fingers into each, and their advertised as to be used instead of wraps, but thanks for the help

9. Mitch

Obviously I haven't seen those Lee, but they don't sound good.

I use the slightly elasticated normal wraps, like long tapes.

I tried the pure cotton ones but I like the extra support the elasticated ones give.

I don't have big hands, but I've smashed them and both wrists up in bike crashes, so I'm using looooong wraps to give me enough material to wrap round.

MD and others may have different advice, but I'd get the longest, elasticated wraps you can find and go overboard.

Mitch

10. Moi

I like the elasticated wraps, they are comfy straight out of the wrapper were the cotton one need a bit of bedding in and a prewash to soften them.

11. lee baldwin

ok wraps it is, their only cheap as well so happy days.

12. Spinal

Spinal Valued Member

I use a hybrid... they are gel-wraps :p

Basically, think of a thin glove, but with some gel over the knuckles and a cotton hand-wrap attached to the lot. Works wonders! I still do use my plain cotton wraps every now and then, but the gel ones are just so much nicer!

M.

13. Mitch

Where'd you get those Spinal? Got a link?

Mitch

14. Spinal

Spinal Valued Member

I got them here:
    http://www.uksportsandfitness.com/index.php?cPath=1371_1414&ID=116
    I have the T-sport ones, which I chose based on my hand size... As I have larger than average hand, I felt I needed the extra 50cm of wrap and the "semi-sized" glove...

M.

15. Mitch

I like the looks of those, cheers.

Do you wrap between your knuckles/fingers with those (top to bottom of your hand if you see what I mean)? Around the knuckles? I'm just thinking the gel pad will give cushioning but not support, so I guess you still need to wrap as normal.

How thick's the pad? Does it fit under your normal bag gloves ok? The neoprene one's I had were so bulky I couldn't get them under my gloves.

Thanks mate,
    Mitch

16. Spinal

Spinal Valued Member

I'm quite paranoid about my hands (my work depends on my hands being in good condition). I haven't done much bagwork, having started only a week or so ago - so I can't really comment. I've been using our clubs gloves, and I can always find a pair that fits over the gelled wraps.

For focus pads I don't use gloves, I just wraps my hands. I have my own variation of a wrap I was taught a while ago - it does go between all the finger and the knuckles... but I don't go over the knuckles as much as a normal wrap would as the gel provides the padding, the wrap just tneeds to provide support. You'd have a hard time using 3m of wrap without going between the fingers :p

The pad is 8mm, add the glove under it and it works to about 1cm - so quite thick. Being gel, it doesn't "bounce back" easily, so after a few punches it sort of moulds to your knuckles; which is why I think it's so comfortable.

If you wish, I can post some more detailed pics (than those on the sales website) of the gloves tonight...

M.

17. Mitch

If you have time, thanks.

I might just punt the £8 or so and try a pair anyway, they look pretty good.

Mitch

18. lee baldwin

i like the look of these do they give much support?

19. Spinal

Spinal Valued Member

Yes... and No...

The glove part provides no support whatsoever... It's just there for padding.

The wrap provides as much support as the technique you use to wrap. Some techniques provide more support, some less...

M.

20. NMT

NMT Valued Member

good wraps and good gloves with solid wrist support will help! gloves tend to relax after 6/12 or so months ( depends on how much you train ) dont forget those!

good quality 16oz gloves from say MTG, Fairtex, Twins, Cleto etc will make a big diffrence plus some good wraps will help BIG time.

Make sure you learn to wrap your hands welll.. loads of stuff on PooTube or ask your coach! i prefer the thai way of wrapping as it gives solid protection down theback of the hand and wrist!

I'm not a fan of these slide on things or gel ones.. IMAO