Hand Injury

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by holyheadjch, May 7, 2007.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

About 6 weeks ago I took a tumble which resulted in my fingers on my right hand being bent back at the knuckle. Ever since I have been unable to make a fist or even grip anything tightly with that hand.

The pain is greatest when I try to make a fist and originates over the knuckle of my index finger on the outside (middle finger side). It's best described as a tightness.

Has anyone any experience of something similar, I could do with an estimated recovery time, as you can imagine not being able to make a fist or grip anything puts a big downer on my training.

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

and in these 6 weeks you haven't seen a doctor even though you are experiencing pain and can't move your fingers properly???

3. holyheadjch

I've had enough hand injuries to know the drill, strap it, ice it, rest it, come back in 6 months if its no better. I'm looking for people who have suffered similar injuries so I can get a timescale.

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

you're asking that question after 6 weeks of being not well??? and it's not always ice it, rest and that stuff. some injuries can't heal properly if not treated on time.

5. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I agree, a friend of mine hurt her foot and limped for about 2 months before she got it seen to but it was too late. It's been 2 1/2 years and she's been told it'll never heal properly, all because it wasn't seen to right away

6. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

There are things to wait on and things to get seen to immediately. If pain persists over the course of a few days or the condition has seen no improvement, then you need to get it looked at. My mother broke her wrist as a small child and her parents never took her in. She now has limited movement in that wrist. I suggest you get in to see a doctor to have your hand x-rayed. If it is not bone damage, I suspect the ligaments have been damaged.

7. Celeste

Celeste New Member

I agree, you should go see a doctor! Two years ago I got side kicked in the hand, while I was throwing a punch (we were sparring) and it jammed my nuckles down into my wrist. I didn't go see a doctor because I didn't have insurance at the time. It took me a month before I was able to type again, two to use it properly and even longer before I felt comfortable punching the bags. I still have problems in my fingers and wrist, and I can't do things most people have no problems doing (like painting or writing) for an extended period of time before I cramp up. It'll probably be that was for the rest of my life and as far as I know, there's nothing that can be done about it.

Moral of the story: Go see a doctor before it's too late for them to do anything about it!! If not, this injury could come back to haunt you later in life, and become worse as you get older. Six weeks is plenty of time for this sort of thing to fully heal on its own, and since it hasn't, it might not ever.

8. holyheadjch

Its not broken, years of cricket, rugby, mountain biking and martial arts have left me well aware of what broken bones feel like. I guessed it was probably ligament damage. However as I am not the person who asks for advice and then doesn't take it, I will make an appointment to see a doctor.

9. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I always thought you displayed at least minimal sense. ;) Let us know how it goes.