Hand before body?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Simplicity, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

How many of you JKDer's out there do this?

Keep "IT" Real,
    John M

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I honestly don't know what you are referring to.

3. corwin137

corwin137 Valued Member

I do. Poorly mostly, but I do.

4. The Furious One

The Furious One Valued Member

With expection of the hook punch I do, either that or atleast at the same time, its hard at first but repetition is the key.

5. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

Yeah

6. february

february Valued Member

I've been taught to always move the hand first when advancing or retreating. It's different when stationary (at least when in the on guard positon) as you need to move your body first in order to facilitate the power line - for example the rear foot would move first when throwing a straight lead from a stationary position, or the waist before throwing a cross or rear straight.

7. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

There are times I make a concerted effort to practice it, but I can't say how it comes out in sparring, mitt work, etc.

8. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

I do train for hand before body but as Callsign said, it may not come out that way all the time.

9. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Good response, everyone. This is one important principle of Jeet Kune Do, let mt tell you. Non-telegraphing your intent. Most people move the body first. A very season JkDer will pick-up on this. This is why it's called "way of inetrcepting fist".....Something to think about, No!

Keep "IT" Real,
    John McNabney

10. chof

chof Valued Member

you should watch the elbows for movement, the body always follows the punch, most of the time, always hand before foot, this way the energy is flowing to the hand, there are exceptions, regarding hooks and the art

11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I thought it was hand before foot? not hand before body?:)

12. The Furious One

The Furious One Valued Member

How many of you fight from a static position?? Moving (or dancing like Ali) will also help to hide your intent.

13. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Regarding stationary, not true. You explode it's various components as one unit.

14. february

february Valued Member

Everyone has different ways of doing things, so to label a method as "not true" is perhaps a touch bullish on your part. :rolleyes:

Let me explain. In terms of advancing and retreating, I would personally move the hand before the foot or body in order to:

a) Avoid telgraphing intent

b) Ensure that my body is not completely planted before landing the blow. i.e. let the strike land a split second before my body is grounded in order to transfer the full bodyweight into the punch.

c) Reach the target quicker

In terms of striking from a stationary position, I would move the body a split second before the hand in instances such as:

a) Throwing a rear straight or cross, in order to facilitate a full torquing of the hips and waist to drive the arm forward.

b) A lead Hook for the same reason.

From my experience, driving the facilitators for power - in this case the legs, waist and hips, a split second before moving the arm generates a faster and more powerful blow. In other words the striking limb follows the body, giving it extra "whip".

15. february

february Valued Member

Unless engaged in a "match fight", I'd guess you'd be more likely to deliver your blows from a static positon.

I train delivery from a fence to deal with "street" situations, along with regular sparring type delivery, which would assume that you've already squared off for a one-on-one (e.g. movement to hide intent). I find the effectiveness of certain techniques can vary pretty drastically from one to the other.

16. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i do and still working to improve upon it

17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

The punching aspect of Harry Powell's JKD comes from boxing - he teaches us to have the feet planted by the time the feet land - does the hand go first, or the foot, or the body?

I really don't know, but we work to throw our punches without telegraphing as much as possible and try to make it work in a live environment. I'm not high enough level to think about whether my hand or my body goes first, I try to make everything move at the same time - my hand, my foot, and my hips.

18. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

when the hand moves first it cause the body to catch up and with the speed and power you develop..look out

19. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

If you want to hit, hand before body.
    If you want to fake, body before hand.

20. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

GSR, well said.