Hanbo in CT?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Morgoth2008, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Morgoth2008

Morgoth2008 New Member

Does anyone know of a Hanbo instructor in CT? After 15 years in Jujutsu, 4 shoulder surgeries, and powerlifting, weapons is about all my shoulders can handle without leaving me a cripple.

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You might want to pick a different weapon... there are more techniques using a Hanbo for joint manipulation (and they typically include shoulder locks more than anything) than striking.

3. Morgoth2008

Morgoth2008 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps bo or jo?

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Bo will have the most striking, but you might do better with Ken.

I don't know of many schools in the US that would focus just on Hanbo/Jo/Bo jutsu, but you would likely find kenjutsu here if that is of interest to you?

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What's the range of motion and strength like in your shoulders?

6. Morgoth2008

Morgoth2008 New Member

Range of motion and strength are actually quite good. The main issue is the rotator cuff and glenoid labrum have been repaired so often, one more major injury will be permanent.
    Like that guy in "Varsity Blues"..."one more concussion" :)

7. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

You might want to check for anyone teaching Shinto Muso Ryu. It's a system of Jojutsu (against sword) which has a number of assimilated systems, including Uchida Ryu Tanjojutsu (essentially, fighting with a walking stick). From memory, there are some SMR schools (usually taught alongside sword systems) in Connecticut.

8. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

How about a Bartitsu club? I think they do some stick.

Elementary my dear Watson :)

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If you're interested in stick, you're probably going to have an easier time finding a Filipino martial arts school rather than one that teaches something like hanbo as a stand-alone class.

Just a thought.