Hamstring Injuries

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SecurityAdvisor, Jan 24, 2004.

1. SecurityAdvisor

SecurityAdvisor Valued Member

Hello All,

Recently, while sparring, I threw a lead leg whip kick and pulled (maybe tore) the hamstring of my anchor leg. I can walk without any pain, but any time I attempt a high or snap kick it is very painful.

Has anyone out there ever had a similar injury and, if so, do you have any suggestions on how best to treat it?

Thank you,

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Rest

Go see a good sports physiotherapist.

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

hehe welcome to my world :)

Best thing i could recommened is give the muscle a decent rest. Then when it's feeling stronger, have a slight slow stretch. No hard stretching!!! just slight slow stretching of the muscle, not to far... ive found this happens to help with the recoverey of a muscle.

Then do what i do and perhaps make efforts to strenghten the hamstrings to prevent them being pulled again :D

But thats just my recommendation from personal experiance... as Yoda said, it's always a good idea to consult a sports physiotherapist.

4. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Sounds like what I had recently. No high kicks, no chinese splits, no hamstring stretches, no glute stretches and no very instense sprinting for a few days. Don't do anything that hurts, if it doesnt hurt you can do it and don't take painkillers to train.

After a few days, you can start with some extremely light stretches, but no high kicks for at least a month. After a month, you can start raising your kicks again, but slowly and if it hurts, stop.

5. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

My gf tore her hamstring a few years back while snowboarding, ill ask her about it and get back to you on this as soon as i can.

6. SecurityAdvisor

SecurityAdvisor Valued Member

Thank you all for you advice. It was very helpful.

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

The best tip i can recommend is when it's feeling alittle better, lightly stretch it... works a charm for me.

Ive pulled/injured my hamstring (left one) quite a few times, and leaving it rest a few days, then very lightly stretching it has helped me alot...

8. ninjabi

ninjabi New Member

Hi all,
    I think I pulled (not tore) my hamstring. I can do everything, but feel the slight tension if I do a high front or stomp kick with that leg, or if that leg is the balance for a roundhouse, etc. for the other leg. I can do the roundhouse kicks lower and with less extension and I do not feel it. I went to the doctor on campus, he did some reflex checks and the muscle. he did not notice anything major. He did not have suggestions for hwat I can do is except slowly stretch it everyday and to pick up faster running in steps. Well I can run fast or even sprint without feeling it. It is only when I do the above that I feel something, and even then it is not painful. I want to keep training but not make it worse. ( I have a black belt exam coming up) does anyone have any tips?
    Thanks

9. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

do the RICE procedure and maybe take a few days off when you return and if it gets any worse see a doctor ASAP. don't wait.

10. ninjabi

ninjabi New Member

I Saw a doctor, he did some reflex and basic checks. He did not see anything wrong. I probably had strained it. He just told me to slowly start back to normal activity. Well I have been working out and just doing the kicks on that leg low. and stretching. A friend of mine also told me about the dynamic stretching from Stretching SCientifically book. They seem to be helpful

11. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Another guy discovers Tom Kurz!