Halloween

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by adouglasmhor, Oct 13, 2007.

1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Who is doing anything for Halloween. I know a lot of people in England think it's an American thing but it actually started out in Scotland and Ireland a long time ago, when kids dressed up in costumes and went "guising" from door to door, on all Hallow's Eve the night before all Saints day - Before that it was the ancient Celt's New year -Samhain (pronounced sow ann). They would carry lanterns made from big turnips not pumpkins as we have today and would sing a song or tell a joke to get treats from the people who came to the door.

[​IMG]

Trick or treating came later and is an American take on it.

Anyway I have 3 Halloween parties to go to, the first is tonight with a Vampyre theme, one is the Saturday before Halloween (I have a zentai skeleton suit) and one is going out with my mates on the Night itself - This is a night for bad taste costumes and we are going all out for it. 4 Nazi officers including a black guy, Myself in San Quentin prison uniform complete with fake jail tattoos done by a friend who is a make up artist for the BBC, my GF undecided between Zombie Nurse, Prison Officer or Klanswoman.

So does anyone have any plans for Halloween?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

'Halloween' is my New Years Eve, so I will be making spells and having a drink or several to welcome in the New Year. :D :D

Local kids know not to 'trick or treat' but send incomer kids to my door.....evil litle gits!!

3. ember

ember Valued Member

I used to celebrate Samhain regularly. Anymore it's usually a quiet, private, and simple practice, perhaps just lighting a candle. Definitely want to pick up some real apple cider soon.

A friend is throwing a party on the 27th for her sons 2nd birthday, so I'll probably go to that.

My mother-in-law bought a black shirt with "Boo" written on it for my son, so I'll probably dress him in that a day or two.

Being Stateside, we'll get the rounds of kids that evening, though usually not that many in our neighborhood.

4. Ahmad89

Ahmad89 Agent of Chaos

If I can, I want to go trick-or-treating. If not, I might go to my college classes in my costume, assuming other students will dress up too

5. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

I got kicked out of class for refusing to take of my Jason hockey mask :p (I didn't have the machette, btw)

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Avoiding all the annoying trick or treaters!!!

7. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Here is some facts I have gathered from years ago about Hallowe'en or Samhain:

"Lamb's wool" is the traditional drink of Halloween, made of roasted apples mashed in ale or milk.
    "Hallow" is an old word meaning holy, whilst "e'en" is Scottish for evening.
    In days gone by, people feared the coming of Halloween. They believed that the spirits who walked the earth on this day were capable of possessing their bodies. To discourage them, they darkened their houses to make them appear as cold and unwelcome as possible. Donning all manner of frightening dress they rowdily took to the streets in an attempt to scare the spirits off.
    The tradition of witches riding their brooms isn't just because they were the handiest flight objects available. The broomstick is symbolic of the magical powers of females since it is employed in the cleansing of ritual places.
    In Ireland, wealthy landlords used to distribute gifts of food to their poorer tenants at Halloween. When the potato crop failed the Irish who moved to America in droves are thought to have introduced Halloween traditions to their new homeland.
    Halloween is believed to be the time when the dead and other demonic creatures rise to walk the earth once more.
    "Trick or Treat" originated in Britain where it was first known as Mischief Night.
    The ancient Celtic fire festival called "Samhain" (pronounced sow-in) is the origin of modern Halloween. This festival was the feast of the dead in Pagan and Christian times, marking the close of harvest and the initiation of the winter season.
    In days gone by, bonfires were lit to scare off the supernatural creatures that struck fear into superstitious hearts.
    Black cats are a symbol of Halloween because it was once believed that souls could travel back into the world of the living in the body of an animal - usually a black cat.
    Before Christianity of Europe, females with special powers were revered as wise women. It wasn't until 1484 that Pope Innocent III sanctioned witch-hunting.
    It is an old Halloween tradition for females to peel an apple in front of a candlelit mirror. If an unbroken rind is achieved then the image of the future spouse is supposed to appear in the mirror.
    The Church attempted to Christianise the pagan festival of Halloween by adopting November 1 as All-Saints Day or All-Hallows Day - a time to remember those that have passed away.
    Halloween marks the modern witches' New Year's eve. It is a time spent celebrating death, fertility, and renewal.
    The name witch comes from the Saxon term wica, meaning wise one.
    It is estimated that between the 15th to 18th centuries, approximately two million people were executed for witchcraft, 80% of this number were women.
    In Mexico Halloween is known as Los Dias de los Muertos (the day of the dead). However, it isn't a time of sadness but one of great rejoicing. At this time of year the Monarch Butterflies, which have summered up north in the United States and Canada, return to Mexico. They are believed to bear the spirits of the dearly departed and are warmly welcomed home.
    In America children threaten "trick or treat" as they approach different doors. In Scotland adults demand more value for their sweets. Children are expected to perform a party piece - joke, song or story - before cashing in on the sweetie prize.

8. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Nothing to the trick or treaters, since I'm at work. We normally get flour bombed and all sorts that night, and I have to restrain myself or get the sack.

9. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Shouldn't that be sow een? :D

Em

10. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

It is pronounced sow'ain. Basically the coming of November and the end to the harvests (which the Christian church like to have as the Harvest festival).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

11. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Actually -

Source = http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A189470

Em

12. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

The BBC is not 100% correct:

It is not a farewell to the God, unless they are only saying their is one God and that is what is worshipped. Samhain is a celebration not only of life, but a remembrance of death of family ETC. Samhain is basically a remembrance and a bringing in of the livestock and the storage of the food for the winter. I do not trust the BBC to have accurate information as they have said that there were no one teaching ninjutsu anywhere in the world, until I pointed out the Bujinkan and they just sort of went off and look a bit sheepish in the corner (that was 2001 BTW).

13. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

What you quoted then was not really the BBC. It's closer to the BBC's version of Wikipedia.

14. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

But it is run by the BBC for the higher learning levels of academic studies in secondary schools. But is it is not the BBC, then why does it have the same format and BBC in the links?

15. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member