Hall of Fame and GOElll

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by BGile, Jun 1, 2007.

1. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

In all honesty, as long as you pay the induction fee(200.00) you'll get in. Your style could be Rex Kwon Do and they'd still likely accept it. If there are 300 people attending, they stand to make a $60,000.00 profit from one night. Less than 10,000 of which goes into the actual event most likely.

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I was just watching a video with Juchnik, Cerio, Sedeno and Kratzberger in it in the early 90's they seemed to be getting along nicly then.

3. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Dan you are WAY off.

It was 3 weeks.

4. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

I ran a 1 day seminar - no dinners, no hall of fame -- nothing - and the event cost me over 10g's so don't think it is that cheap. Its all the little things that add up. I am not defending, i just know how much it cost. Are the people being flown in? paying for certain people's rooms etc..etc.. Personally not with any of said groups just telling you some of the upfront costs that can accumulate.
    Jesse

5. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

3 weeks and promoted to 5th degree master by Prof. Chow?

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

from http://www.nickcerioskenpo.com/prof_cerio/Professor_Cerio_Biography.htm

"Several trips" over 4 years... it's unclear from this biography how many weeks that adds up to. But IMHO "weeks" is probably the most appropriate unit of measure.

1962 - began training in Karazenpo
    1966 - 1st degree from Pesare
    1966 - 1st degree from Chow
    1967 - 1st degree from Chun
    1969 - 3rd degree form Parker
    1971 - 5th degree from Chow
    1973 - 8th degree from Gan Fong Chin
    1983 - 9th degree form Parker
    1989 - 10th self-awarded

7. dianhsuhe

It is my impression also that Cerio received a rank certificate from Professor Chow that recognized him as a 5th in Cerio's OWN ART, not Professor's art.

Unfortunately, Professor Chow was poor and he signed rank certificates for money at different times in his life. I do not know which individuals this might include.

This is one of the primary reasons that Kwai-Sun Company was formed between Professor Chow and Grandmaster Kuoha. Professor knew that others were training with him for only short periods of time and using his name to boost their own reputations so he insisted that rank be verified and even notarized. I cannot remember when exactly this happened (early 70's?) but I do know that many had already come and used this man before then...

I do not know anyone who would say Cerio was not a great martial artist or innovator, but as far as time training DIRECTLY WITH PROFESSOR CHOW, it was roughly 3 weeks. Believe it or not, doesn't bother me either way-

Regards,
    James

8. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Wow, and here I thought he'd only trained for two-thirds that amount of time.

9. meijin10

meijin10 Valued Member

Prof Cerio

KempoDavid,
    You are close to the correct time in grade for Professor Cerio. He never tried to hide it. On his schools fliers he actually had them listed with the correct dates. You are wrong in one area, Professor Cerio never self promoted himself to 10th Dan. A group of well know martial artists promoted him to the "above ranking" statis. Professor Cerio decided that the highest rank within his own system would be that of the 10th dan level.
    There are others who took from 10th dan to 15th dan.

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

James your whole post is very sad IMHO...
    You are showing much disrespect for any who went to Professor Chow and attempted to study with him.

He was not the easiest to get along with nor the most rationale person either.

It is very sad about his problems, and because of that dysfuntion some of the same problems are with his son. I have talked to many who mention this problem while dealing with the man.

So instead of looking why he was, and has been disassociated with, you turn your attack on others instead.

You need to stop the belittling comments towards others, if you want some sort of peace with other organizations.

Just to stay with the topic I'll add this.

http://www.sanjosekenpo.com/GOE7 Photos.htm

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  11. dianhsuhe

Reread it Gary

There is nothing belittling in my post. I stated what I believe to be fact. As I said, I do not know who "bought" rank from him.

Why so much talk about Stephen?

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

13. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I understand, another organizational thing :rolleyes: It is the topic???

http://www.tracyskenpokarate.com/Belt Requirements.htm

Not bad for all under one leader. There are a few of his schools around, thought others might enjoy :p

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  15. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Hi Mr. C, I copied all of that text directly from the NCK Web page:

But, I think this is really "a distinction without a difference". Prof. Burdine and his group said he was "above ranking" and he said "OK well, let's call it 10th"...

I can't speak for the accuracy of any of that stuff, but it is the "official" story, what John James and Craig Seavey put on their web site :)

16. meijin10

meijin10 Valued Member

ranking

David,
    My reference to "being close" was stated that way because I did not have the information in front of me. I knew from memory that it was very close. Proc. Cerio's promotion to "above statis" I remember well. I did not attend the event but I was told that was something.

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

That's why I like hearing from you, you were there at a lot of events that are just story to me :)

-D

edit: LOl that doesn't always mean physically "there" haha because here in this exampe you were not :D but you know what I mean