Haidong Gumdo

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by khafra, Jan 27, 2004.

1. khafra

khafra New Member

It's been mentioned a few times before; and it just got mentioned again, in the thread right below this. The World Federation's homepage is at http://eng.hdgd.org/
    And, more importantly to me, I'll soon be moving to Gojin, a town on the East Coast which has a school for it.

I realize this like pouring gasoline on kindling and having a matchfight, but I've gotten conflicting opinions on whether it's more showy-move oriented, or something you'd actually use to, for example, spar a katori ryu fencer. Any opinions/information?

2. TigerGrishkin

TigerGrishkin Banned Banned

I might be able to put you in touch with a few people who practice it. One of whom spent a year in Korea doing it. Give me some time...

3. khafra

khafra New Member

That'd be great if you could, TigerGrishkin--If I decide to, I might become another person who spent a year in Korea doing it.

4. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Hey, Khaf!

Haidong Gumdo focusses on massive pitched battles, not one-on-one sparring. Techniques cover basic cutting, like you would in any oriental sword art. Forms are geared toward multiple adversaries.

Can send you some links if you'd like.

-Ann

5. khafra

khafra New Member

Sure, I'd like to see some more links on it--I googled up some, but you can vouch for yours.
    Offhand, it sounds like less of a sport-oriented art--but something that might be really fun to know if I ever join an SCA chapter, or find myself in a real, multiple opponent fight holding a broomstick or pool cue or something.

6. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

I dont see how haidong gumdo is geared toward vs multi-opponent. I know there forms are like that, but this is created real recent to promote korean martial art. Most sword art still exist today in japan is because people have survived with the art through battle over centuries, thus proved is effectiveness.

7. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Kof--

Sword-art websites on the Internet fall into two general groups:

A). Websites for Japanese sword-arts, with historical information showing how kenjutsu/kendo was the original, expert sword art for the far east, AND...

B). Websites for Korean sword-arts, with historical information showing how kumdo/haidong gumdo was the original, expert sword art for the far east.

Both countries have a long history of sword art, and both "cross-pollinated" each other, through centuries of battle, conquest, trade, political cooperation, political rivalry, etc. Beyond that, any claim to exclusivity and origin is usually rooted more in nationalism than fact. (Historically, both countires have centuries of documented history of sword arts, but both probably have their roots in China, which developed sword production techniques centuries before either Korea or Japan.)

Right now, Kendo=Kumdo. These two arts are absolutely indistinguishable. Haidong Gumdo, however, has its own heritage and is noticeably different. I train in a school that teaches some of each.

8. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Some of my fav. Haidong Gumdo links:

European Haidong Gumdo Federation:
    http://www.hdgumdo.com
    Hit "Enter", then look for the demo videos to download in the lower right corner. The cutting will look just like what you're used to; I didn't like the forms video (gumbup); the sparring video is awesome.

This is a very good personal webpage on Haidong Gumdo:
    http://www.stormpages.com/haidonggumdo/
    It has links at the bottom for video (skip the ones on making jipdan), along with a messageboard with people a lot more knowledgeable than I. Ask them for more/better info.

Other webpages:
    School in TX w/ class syllabus, history, and video links:
    http://www.geomdo.org/
    School in NY, with requirements for belt/rank advancement:
    http://www.estradatkd.com/hdgd.htm

I included pages with video clips so you can see and decide for yourself if the art will give you what you want/need in your study. If you really want a good overview, buy or find someone who can loan you a copy of the video "Haidong Gumdo" from Turtle Press. This is NOT in any way an instructional video for learning the art, but it does give an excellent view of a typical class, some basic techniques, some advanced forms, cutting methods, etc.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  9. khafra

khafra New Member

I like the links, thanks--unfortunately, I just heard, further, that it's quite expensive. I was hoping there'd be some way to borrow the equipment instead of buying swords and such right off, I guess, but with my limited finances I guess I'll be doing Hapkido instead.

10. TigerGrishkin

TigerGrishkin Banned Banned

My Haedong Komdo friend is in China right now, a little hard to reach.

11. SexyJakeBoi

SexyJakeBoi Banned Banned

Haidong Gumdo and Hangook Gumdo can both be learned in Korea, or you can learn the nearly identical versions with Japanese names anywhere else. Basic differences such as the way one pulls out the sword and stance along with commands and such are the only distinguishing factors.

12. SexyJakeBoi

SexyJakeBoi Banned Banned

Tiger's friend

I learned Haidong Gumdo in Korea about a year and a half ago. It was by far the best thing I did while I was there. There are schools everywhere that teach it. You must however be able to speak Korean or at least understand it if you want to learn it there. If you have the strength, tenacity, drive, and sexiness, you may be able to participate. It is inexpensive and a good way to be involved in Korea's fairly closed culture.

Hoooa