Haidong Gumdo Practicality?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Bgajdor1, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Once again, before this goes any farther, I am going to stop you right there and ask: "Did you really READ my last post?"

A.) I said I don't agree with it. I ALSO said that (for better or worse) it IS a subset of Korean sword.

B.) My upset is when folks such as yourself deride ALL Korean sword by citing HDGD. To make matters worse, you deride ALL HDGD based on clips of a scant few practitioners. Where is the respect or the regard in that? You seem unwilling or unable to appreciate that HDGD is not just an art, but it is also only one aspect of a much larger constellation.

C.) Ergo: If you want to criticize HDGD as HDGD and limit your criticism to HDGD as a practice, have a good time. You probably won't hear anything out of me. If HOWEVER, you start making generalized statements about Korean Sword, including its very existence, I am going to say something because you are in error. HDGD is NOT the sole representation of Korean sword and to think that it is, is just plain "wrong".

2. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Yes, you were presented with posts that questioned the existence of historically authentic Korean sword practices, because all evidence seen indicated that there is no such thing. All practices seen are flawed from a combative perspective, which indicates that they are not historically authentic, but rather modern creations divorced from the realities and practicalities of the use of sword. The only person claiming that there is such a thing is you.

Now, to be clear, that's not necessarily a comment that is derisive. After all, Bear trains in reconstructed Western systems... so he's hardly going to be putting down reconstructed material. And I'm familiar with a range of reconstructed systems as well, so I'm not about to look down on them either. The only person who has read such aggressiveness in our questioning is you. You made the claim that such a thing does still exist... so, in order for us to also know such a thing, we asked for something to back it up. Maybe actually what the system is, to begin with. You avoided the question, gave references to old books with no connection to any modern teaching, and started crying conspiracy when we continued to ask about this mysterious ancient teaching that seems to have escaped everyone other than a guy in the Midwest.

So no, I'm not about to apologize for basically asking for you to provide evidence for what you were claiming, Bruce. As far as what one would expect in civil discussion, please. One also doesn't expect to be accused of stating that there is only the "one true Japanese way", and all else is inferior, when that hasn't been stated, claimed, thought, inferred, or believed at all.

So, again, you are alone in the claim that there is an older form of Korean sword still in existence. Can you understand why we would want to verify that? After all, there isn't anything you've provided to support it yet.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm going to assume that both of you were typing before I posted my warning.
    Any further posts bitching at each other will get the thread locked and possibly a warning for ignoring a MOD request.

4. Bruce W Sims

Excuse me Simon, but maybe you missed a couple of things.

Beginning with Chris' first large post, I have worked to move the thread on. I have responded to everything that has been asked of me. AP asked if we/I thought we could come to some productivity and I gave my reasoning. Chris commented and I responded.

Where are we not moving on?

---On a personal note, if you, Simon, have some personal issue with me I am inviting you to take it to a PM rather than use you authority to threaten. You did this one time before on the Hapkido thread and ---IMHO--- I think you are abusing your position to accomplish a personal agenda. I could be wrong, but it sure seems that way. I didn't get the same vibes from AP's intervention that I am getting from yours. Just sayin'.....----

5. Bruce W Sims

Fine. What will you accept as incontrovertible evidence......and I mean evidence that would comparable to that required of any other art or practice?

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thread locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.