Haedong or Kumdo?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Zatoichi1, Dec 25, 2010.

1. rino1901

rino1901 Valued Member

Its not accredited today!

However next year the 2 yr. probationary wait to be accredited by the U.S. will be up! and it will be accredited.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Accredited in what way?

Which body?

3. rino1901

rino1901 Valued Member

The Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) at http://www.chea.org

the people who accredit universities

4. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

5. Dean Winchester

What a complete and utter load of bollocks!

6. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Oh...I don't know..... what about those "mills" that a person can mail off to that grant "theology doctorates". People take those papers and start their own churches (both big C and little c). AFAIK the US government recognizes them under the Bill of Rights....or am I mis-informed? Anyone?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

7. Bruce W Sims

Just a follow-up to some previous business:

I just received the MOK GUEM (lit: "wooden sword") from RAVEN and am excited to put it through its paces. Some may recall that I was looking for an item I could transport around without putting my antique "QING Dyn"/ Korean piece at risk.

Just a cursory inspection suggests a very well-made piece and though there are up-keep instructions for both contact and non-contact use, I will be using it strictly for non-contact (IE: forms) work. This single-handed TO should match nicely with the two-handed wooden sabre I have for comparable forms work which will be an added blessing. More to come.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

8. Dean Winchester

Can you not get anything similar to an iaito?

Something shiny and pointy :D

Sorry I've no idea what's out there for KSA.

9. Bruce W Sims

Actually, Dean, I pretty much have all I need from that standpoint. Regarding metal, I have 72" monster for people who still believe that SSANGSOODO material was really meant for such a piece. I also have my own personal weapon as well as a remounted GUNTO from WW II to experiment with. Where I was lacking was in having something to practice with in-place-of hauling my remounted Korean sabre around. Its not just that its an antique but there is also the problem of bringing such an item into a public place such as a gymnasium or court. Security tends to frown on people waving such things around in close proximity to other patrons, doncha know. :eek:

Best Wishes,

Bruce

10. antilie

antilie Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFBo-Zs_Dp8&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Fake Samurai & Kendo in the Japan Expo 2011: On a Cultural Plunder‬‏[/ame]

11. Bruce W Sims

I really appreciated being able to view the clip and for the most part the folks who put that on have some valid points. I just wished their approach would have had the same balance that they seem to want for the Koreans they accuse of making an unbalanced presentation.

Hopefully some people will step in clarify things a bit.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

12. antilie

antilie Valued Member

Ninjutu is traditional culture in Korea in "Korean Connection" where the Korean government gives a fund to.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4jZUcRg8d4"]YouTube - ‪Korean Connection 2011 : Teaser #2 (english)‬‏[/ame]

A sponsor of "Korean Connection" seems to be a Korean of the French nationality.

However, Korean people insist that "Korean Connection" is an event by the French volunteer.

13. Bruce W Sims

Mmmmm....no its not. Some years ago a few of the people in the KMA community tried to tie into the NINJUTSU craze in Japan but there is no historical basis for this.

As far as SAMURAI in Korea, there is no basis for a military social class as in Japan. The YANBANG were a privleged class in Korea that routinely interfered in military affairs by securing synosures in the management of military units. The rationale for this was that a person who was educated in the Confucian and Chinese classics could field a military unit as well or better than a career soldier. The results were predictable.

During the KORYO Dynasty (918 to 1170 AD) failings of the primarily infantry-focused Six Divisions against the cavalry-strong Jurchen, caused King Sukchong (1095-1105) to create the Extraordinary Military Corps or PYOLMUBAN, as a special military force separate from the Six Divisions. Along with cavalry and infantry, is a unit heavily manned by Buddhist warrior monks, and named the "Subdue Demons Corps" or HANGMAGUN. Korea has a long tradition of these specialized and elite units of highly-trained and highly dedicated warriors, but they were not a warrior "class" and historically were highly unique to a given time period. FWIW.

BTW: The claims made by the HAE DONG KUMDO people, perhaps misguided to some extent may have their roots in the use of the a curriculum based on the material found in the BON KUK GEUM BEOP (lit: "Native Sword Methods").
    The precise origins of these sword methods are tentatively dated back to the 8th or 9th Century by the Chinese historian MAO Yuan-i (1594?-1641) and predate organized sword methods of the YAMATO culture. In my humble opinion, the only mistake the modern Koreans make is to use a SSANGSOODO to execute material which was originally intended for a single-handed sabre. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Best Wishes,

Bruce

14. antilie

antilie Valued Member

Korea does not have the document which is older than the twelfth century.
    Therefore Korea depends on Japan and the Chinese historical materials about the history before it.

Lee Songgae which founded the Korea dynasty expelled martial arts for fear of the coup d'etat by the officer.
    It is because himself suppressed KORYO King by a military coup.

Lee was a subordinate of Kouryo King.
    Lee borrowed the armaments for coups d'etat from China.
    Lee promised that Korea was subordinate to China as the condition with China.
    (traitor)

In Imjinwar, Korea calls a Chinese soldier "a soldier of God".
    If the way to Seoul is equal to march in the uninhabited land, according to the record of the Japanese military in Imjinwar, it is described.
    (in the days when I was able to scratch Japan, it is a march by the foot before Japan lets soul fall from the landing to Pusan 29th.)
    The Japanese enemy was starvation and cold.

Yu Song-ron which was a then bureaucrat leaves it.

"There are 100 generals in Korea.
    However, nobody knows the method to train a soldier."

Korea was going to make the specialized armed forces from the reflection by the fight with Japan.
    However, it seemed to be only an old man and an infant that the enlistment attracted.
    Korea bought the book of martial arts from China, and I was going to learn, but they were not able to understand it.

Korea insists that the 「朝鮮勢法」which is written on "「武備譜通誌」" is Korean traditional kenjutu.
    However, it is a copy of the texts of Japanese Kageryu.
    China copied a text of Kageryu which the Japanese pirates which China caught possessed.
    Korea purchases it, and it is the 「朝鮮勢法」 to have copied.

15. Bruce W Sims

You may want to provide the sources for your statements.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  16. antilie

antilie Valued Member

I'm sorry.

I had the site that compared "the Kageryu text" with the picture placed in "the armaments" before, but I have forgotten it.

Therefore, I update this video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcc3_iBmMyM&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Kumdo Fraud - Bonguk Geom‬‏[/ame]

17. Bruce W Sims

You are mixing up a lot of very different things to get the result that you want. Lets take this a step at a time.

a.) You are mixing-up military practice, with martial art, with martial-themed art. You keep bouncing back and forth among these things. If you want to be believed then I suggest that you pick ONE of the three and stay with that.

b.) If you want to talk about martial-themed dance, thats just fine. The practice goes back to the oldest cultures on Earth. In these activities, the events of a particular occasion are remembered or re-enacted in dance or song. The Japanese, Korean, Chinese and many, many other cultures all do this. Other than a historical connection with a particular event there is no practical connection with either a martial art or military science. Its just a very old form of entertainment.

c.) If you want to talk about Martial Art such as GEOM DO (lit: "sword way")then we need to discuss a particular military practice that has been modified for use by civilians as a form of recreation, physical culture or self-development.

d.) If you want to talk about Military Science such as GEOM BEOP (lit: "sword method") then we need to discuss a particular military practice adopted by a government and its military and paramilitary forces for use in accomplishing its missions.

Now.... WHICH area do you want to talk about? Jumping back and forth among these three things, like they are all the same, makes you seem like you don't know what you are talking about. FWIW.

BTW: The idea of repeatedly making inferences about HWARANG being homosexual or grossly effeminate also works for the Japanese warriors. It does not make your comments any more valid.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  18. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Please do some research and then post your findings. Posting the same video does nothing to sort this out academically.

お願いします。
    ちゃんと取材して、そしてこのスレに書いて下さい。
    学才的に上のビデオはあんまり助かりません。
    宜しく。