Haedong or Kumdo?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Zatoichi1, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Er.... Thanks, Antille. The short response is there is no such thing as "Choseon Ninjas".

After that there is just waaay too much wrong with this clip to even comment on. I suspect it is not Japanese material since I have seen some pretty traditional stuff and this ain't it. OTOH its not Korea by any stretch.

BTW: I am usually a person of peace.....but I would not be above putting out a contract on the idiot who came up with that crappy wrist-roll-flourish I seem to see everywhere I look these days. I have reached a point where all I have to do is see that once and it automatically discounts anything that came before or after.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

2. antilie

antilie Valued Member

Korea consents tacitly to a forgery of the history and the culture as a national strategy.
    (Korea teaches the false national history by school education)

And the Korean mistakes it for patriotism.
    Kumudo is a copy of kendo.
    kumudo added tate of the Japanese samurai movie to it.

http://www.geocities.jp/bxninjin2004/index.htm

3. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

If it's the wrist roll you see in Highlander, blame Araki-ryu.....:confused:

4. Bruce W Sims

Yes, I understand all of this quite well and, in my way, have been something of a victim of it, so to speak. All the same, the focus of the thread is not actually about how nationalism gets out of hand. For instance, I don't find a lot of Japanese making complaints about how many of the government officials in Korea after WW II had sympathies towards the former Japanese regime. And it certainly wouldn't be appropriate to yet rehash the ultra-nationalist fervor of the Japanese prior to WW II, would it?

Intelligent people understand that Japanese sword was brought to Korea prior to and during the Occupation. Unfotunately we just don't know WHAT went on during the time period prior to the Fall of Unified Silla in the 10th Century so one person's spit-balling is about as good as another's, right?

The dog that I have in this fight (so to speak) is that the Koreans had a unique form of swordsmanship and it continues to be practiced. Some folks who practice that form have absorbed some of the Japanese material and fairly acknowledge as such. No problem there since the Koreans have been absorbing things from their neighbors for the last 400 years or so, as is their way.

My own view is that we get more information out to interested readers by sharing what we know and not by re-publishing prejudicial theories, yes? IMHO.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

5. Bruce W Sims

See 2:50 and 3:15 or there abouts in Antilies' last clip.

The fact is that there is a "Rotating Parry" (both "inside" and "outside" in Korean sword but its nothing like that acrobatic little baton-twirl I keep seeing come-up in demo-s.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

6. antilie

antilie Valued Member

Japanese katana until the eighth century is a Chinese expression.
    This is the same in Korea.
    The Japanese calls katana of this time "Chokuto".

It is unknown whether there was kenjutu in Korea in the ancient times.
    Nanbu of the Korean Peninsura of the ancient times was a Japanese follower.
    This is mentioned in Chinese historical materials.

You do not look after all the videos which I affixed it to.

A Mongolian person organized Joseon dynasty. When it was the work that vulgar social position did to sweat, Joseon dynasty did it.

Therefore Joseon dynasty looked down upon martial arts and labor.
    Therefore the Korean martial arts fell at the time.

Korea depended on China for the military affairs in fact from earlier.
    Therefore I regard a Chinese soldier as "a soldier of divine protection" by the Korean record.

A diary of Hudeyoshi force.
    I seemed to "go the totally uninhabited wilderness"

The armed forces of Hideyoshi do not reach one month in time when they needed it till they let soul fall after they went ashore by a march while they fight to the Korea southern part.

The description of the Joseon dynasty bureaucrat.

There are 100 generals in Korea.
    However, there is none of the generals who can train a soldier.

In Joseon dynasty, it was not ability of martial arts to get the social position of the general.
    As for it, it was given priority to be the blood relative of the civil officer.
    As for Korean hero Yi Sung-shin, he became a general on the recommendation of his uncle who was a bureaucrat at the age of 35 years old.
    He of then continued failing in a bureaucratic examination.

In addition, the Korean knew nobody till Japan took this person from historical materials in the 20th century.

http://www7.plala.or.jp/juraian/korrep.htm#Griffis_Korea

7. Bruce W Sims

I hope this is not taken as an insult as it is not meant that way.
    Two things come to mind from your post, Antilie.

One is that you need a better grasp of the English language to have a nuanced conversation such as this.

The other is that you need a far better grasp of East Asian History.

Regards.

8. antilie

antilie Valued Member

Are you a Korean?

As for kumudo, the person who was unrelated to the martial arts considered in 1970's.
    And he called it Shinkumudo.

Two men learned it before long and made a Kumudo group.
    They added the magnificent history to Kumudo.
    But they presented it to the court of law as a lie each other.
    In the Korean court of law, both history did judgment to be a lie for two people.

The Korean insists in the present.

"kumudo is the origin of Kendo"

Since kumudo is an idea of 1970's, it is stupid that Korea insists on tradition.

About WW2.

The executive officer of GHQ says Asian countries.
    "The Tokyo trial absurd by the racial discrimination"

In the East Asia of those days, the complete independent country was only Thailand and Japan.

And the country which was able to be opposed to colonist landowner justice by the white man nation was only Japan.

After WW2, the Asian country did not become independent from Japan.
    They did the U.K. and France and an independence war, and they gained victory.

It is the white man nation which lost an Asian colony by Japan that regard Japan as an invader.

But only Korea has not participated in cease-fire deal from the ancient times.

Even the truce negotiations of the Korean War were performed only in U.S.A. and China.

9. Kogusoku

Give some latitude Bruce.

I could jump on every time you massacre Japanese terms, but I don't.

Antilie,

日本語を話しますか

10. Bruce W Sims

Point taken. Thanks.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. hghlndr

hghlndr Banned Banned

seitei, great stuff. Also, I am not starting a fight but Bruce dont copy and paste wiki or other kind of stuff to try and make a point. It is bad form.......you do hapkido right? Well I have participated in the japanese and korean sword arts. Kumdo / Gumdo both. I am a member of the united world haedong kumdo federation from jeong seong kim and also a member of the midwest kendo.

My point is I know people who do hapkido but I cant speak logically about it with any substance. Also if someone is a hapkidoist does that make them able to speak about aikido. I mean really? Oh, and to be sure.....it was never proven that "Choi, Young Sool - the founder of hapkido" learned from Takkeda. So did hapkido really just form somehow out of the blue on a magically mystery tour Choi lost his bag, it was stolen? Ji han Jae has a dan number......so magically Choi has all their lifes possessions in a bag at a train station and looses it? Ok.

Funny, Japan occupied China, china can still prove history - martial arts and otherwise........why do koreans have the problem of not showing proof of martial arts history?

Oh and to be plain and sure.....on aikiweb Takkeda's son has been quoted as saying "There were korean's who learned from my father but none with the name of Choi or his alias, japanese name or otherwise." So just stop man.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  12. Bruce W Sims

I'm sorry, Highlander... my bad.

You are very right. The typical Hapkido person doesn't know beans about Korean sword. I should have said something about my background so that you wouldn't think that I was a guy who dabbled a bit in this and that and then presented himself as an authority. Let me share a bit about myself.

My Hapkido career is with the late MYUNG Kwang Sik who was my teacher from about 1990 to his recent passing. Myung KJN used what is loosely termed a "MU-DO" approach to Hapkido meaning that there was an inter-relationship between how the body was used in an unarmed capacity and how that same biomechanic was used when one used a weapon. The "short" side of this story is that YON MU KWAN Hapkido introduces a student to only the most fundamental material when it comes to weapons, leaving it to the student to flesh-out those areas in which they have an abiding interest. In my own case that was Korean sword, and as a result I sought out teachers who could teach me such material.

Unfortunately just about every sword teacher here in the Staes is little more than a Kendo teacher in Kumdo clothing, as it were. --- or so I thought.

Here in Chicago I found a Sword master who was doing the opposite of what most Korean teachers were doing. In his case, he was teacher KUMDO, but his background was in the older tradition of Korean GEOM BEOP or "sword method". Its not that he didn't know KUMDO because students were coming from all around the world to train under this man. But where most people knew KUMDO and tried to understand GEOM BEOP, Koo KJN knew GEOM BEOP and used KUMDO to keep the school open and "pay the bills, so to speak. I can tell you that in the few years it was my privelege to learn from this man I learned what it was to study under a true sword master.

I don't mean any offense, but the stuff that I see represented by a lot of the sword people of today is a pale shadow of that which my sword master opened my eyes. By extension I now have a much greater interest in the SIBPALKI material than any of the Japanese fostered practices.

I hope this provides a bit of context to the perspective from which I am viewing this discussion. FWIW.

BTW: The only Koreans who have a problem showing their Martial history are the abysmally ignorant ones who never took time to learn what their roots are, and elected to make crap up instead to cover their ignorance. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  13. hghlndr

hghlndr Banned Banned

Bruce,

thank you for the apology. that was very big of you my friend.

14. Bruce W Sims

You're very welcome.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

15. antilie

antilie Valued Member

日本語の方がありがたいですね。

学生時代から英語は苦手です。

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Athlete-Acropolis/6963/english.html

16. Kogusoku

Antilieさんの上の書きました物の意味は何で御座いましょうか

もし良かったら、明らかにするの為に僕は英語で書き直す、翻訳者では有りませんけど。

I have asked Antilie to explain what he meant in Japanese for the sake of clarity and I'll try to translate, however I am not a translator. (I have done a lot of work in translating from time to time, but that was some time ago.)

17. antilie

antilie Valued Member

すんません。
    機械翻訳に任せ霧の文章で、添削してなかったです。

Kumudoは、剣道のコピーである。
    韓国人は、Kumudoは剣道の起源であるとわめく。

しかし、韓国には、伝統的剣術は存在しない。

WW2では日本は欧米の植民地になりたくなかっただけ。

歴史において、韓国の歴史は属国としての歴史であり、韓国は、交戦国との停戦協定に参加したことが一度もない。

18. usntfhkdkg

usntfhkdkg Banned Banned

Well,

Haedong Kumdo is a korean art with poomsea etc. Kumdo is pretty much the korean take on kendo. Anything with Haedong in it will have some really nice poomsea. Just look up kumdo on youtube.com - also look up haedong kumdo. Really nice stuff

19. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Really? Most of them don't make sense. They're flash for flash's sake.

20. Neil Gendzwill

Neil Gendzwill Valued Member

I'm with Scott. They're fun to watch, but they're closer to XMA than JSA.